Richard a bit overbearing?

Such a stupid topic. Richard is incredible. The guy is soo underrated, he should be lead guitar for guns. He can play circles around Slash and Buckethead. Everybody here knows this.

And who cares about Izzy? Only mulletheads. Richard has so much more stage presence. I love how he punches his guitar and makes those guitargasm faces during every song. I wish he would do it more. Slash should hang back and stop showboating so Richard can shine more. 

3 hours ago, jacdaniel said:

I am loving every minute of this tour so far. I don't mind at all that izzy and Steven are not involved. The setlist is awesome.  

The only that irritates me a bit is Richard.

I think his stage presence / moves are really overbearing and a bit cheesy... The big powerful guitar strikes and holding his guitar high above his head. Spinning in circles.. it looks a bit lame and unGuns n Roses to me. He also seems to showboat quite a bit when Slash is soloing.

I don't think that him and Slash have great chemistry together. 

I think Slash plays better with a more chilled out rhythm player beside him. 

What do yous think?

HUGE GNR fan here, since 1989. Could not agree with you more, completely took the words from my mouth. 

It actually feels like Slash is embarrassed for him and so Slash is just taking it easy for now, not wanting to look like a POSER, as Richard does. Slash is all about integrity and being the "real-deal", so this all probably feels Las Vegas to him. He's having a hard time getting into it b/c HE KNOWS Richard looks like a poser. 

No chemistry, guitars aren't meshing at all.....Richard is trying WAY TOO HARD and he looks stupid. Could not agree with your post any more, exactly right on.

I'm thrilled about the tour....but combine Richard posing with Frank's playing, and its not exactly blowing up yet. They sound disjointed. Slash is VERY UNSURE, so his playing is not 100% yet. He doesn't know where Frank is going and he knows Richard is a poser. This is hard for him right now. 

Edited by W 23 Axl III
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, moreblack said:

That's probably part of the issue for Axl, he always wanted someone who could put more energy into the shows. Weren't they talking about cutting his pay on the UYI tour for not moving around enough?

Yeah Axl took issue, but Axl's taste levels veer towards the obnoxious. So the impact of Izzy's understated presence is probably not something he'd get.

He also always had this insecure thing about things needing to happen on stage, or else he feels the pressure to carry the show is all on him. I reckon a lot of the tackiness the surrounds GNR comes from that mindset.

Anyway, Richard does his thing, it's a bit hammy but whatever.

• Like 1

I noticed this when I saw him live with Axl in 2012. It is as if he has analysed every rock 'shape' from footage and is recycling it, Townsend's string bashing, the windmill, etc. Ashba however was a worse culprit. Ashba even used to do Slash's wobbly one leg routine, the bit when Slash brought the guitar down to just below mi-drift level, sideways on, and shock his leg like it had Parkinson's.

What they need is someone to play a background role. That is really the role that Izzy and Gilby had, cool Stonesy guys like any of the Stones' guitarists, be it Keef or Ron Wood, raggedy little guys attired in jackets who remain somewhat detached (from rock star posturing).

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, Randy Jesus said:

Slash has been sub par and Fortus has outshines him,

lol...no

7 minutes ago, RONIN said:

Such a stupid topic. Richard is incredible. The guy is soo underrated, he should be lead guitar for guns. He can play circles around Slash and Buckethead. Everybody here knows this.

And who cares about Izzy? Only mulletheads. Richard has so much more stage presence. I love how he punches his guitar and makes those are guitargasm faces during every song. I wish he would do it more. Slash should hang back and stop showboating so Richard can shine more. 

lol...no

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Randy Jesus said:

Slash has been sub par and Fortus has outshines him,

LOL This is Slash's band.....have we all forgotten? Richard is playing HIS songs. Slash is most likely embarrassed for 4tus when he looks over, like "Oh God, look at this poser, what a mess, how did I get myself involved in this? This guy is doing windmills and punching his guitar on songs I wrote, while I'm even soloing nonetheless..."

• Like 1

I just can't believe the nitpicking level of some GNR fans..Now that we have Slash and Duff back in the band, now that the band is actually in a VERY good place, people start complaining about Ferrer...then it's Melissa, and now, Fortus? Are you serious? He's a good guitar player and he does exactly what he's supposed to the on the stage - rocking it out!

Some people can never be happy..

Edited by Kenan
  • Like 2

Fortus is great. I think he's just excited to play with Slash and the both of them sound cool together. His stage moves are fine. This is Gn'R, (kinda) you're allowed to pose a little. Slash, Axl, and Duff do it and have done it all the time. It's a hard rock show by an 80's band, it's not supposed to be dignified.

Edited by Rovim

4 hours ago, jacdaniel said:

I am loving every minute of this tour so far. I don't mind at all that izzy and Steven are not involved. The setlist is awesome.  

I think his stage presence / moves are really overbearing and a bit cheesy... The big powerful guitar strikes and holding his guitar high above his head. Spinning in circles.. it looks a bit lame and unGuns n Roses to me. He also seems to showboat quite a bit when Slash is soloing.

What do yous think?

Aaaaah, finally someone said it! Thanx. I cant stand hes stage presense. He looks like having some weird attack most of the time. Great guitarist though. 

In Vegas I barely noticed Richard, easy to forget him when Axl, Slash and Duff are on stage together. It doesn't really matter what Richard feels the need to do, he's never going to upstage Slash. He might as well be invisible when he is on the same stage as Slash, I doubt Slash really cares too much either.

If Richard had written riffs and solos to songs which are ingrained in the psych of millions of the worlds music listening population then maybe Slash would have cause for concern.

I like Fortus, and always enjoyed watching him with nuGuns much more than any of the other guitarists.  He's animated, but it always came across genuine.   Can't say I've even  noticed him at all with Slash back however.  And  most of the videos I've seen don't really focus on him all that much.  

5 hours ago, jacdaniel said:

What do yous think?

Yes 100% agreed. His constant posing is cringeworthy 

Nothing against the guy, but he's pretty cheesy on stage. The whole thing about guns is that they were effortlessly cool ( see Duff and Izzy). Axl and Slash could showboat and pull it off because they both were badass. 

Fortus and his constant guitar punching and orgasm faces seem a bit OTT. Needless to say, it comes off a bit forced and poser-ish.

But hey -- apparently the guy is so amazing that people here think Slash should share his solos with him :facepalm:

I love Fortus's stage presence, actually found myself watching him more in Vegas than Slash ^_^ I'd love to see Izzy back but if he's not going to be involved for whatever reason then I'd absolutely choose Fortus over Gilby, Tobias or anyone else. Tbh even if Izzy does get involved and do some live shows I'd want to see Richard still involved, he should have been promoted instead of Bumblefoot or Ashba ever coming in to the lineup in my opinion.

3 hours ago, RONIN said:

And who cares about Izzy? Only mulletheads. Richard has so much more stage presence. I love how he punches his guitar and makes those guitargasm faces during every song. I wish he would do it more. Slash should hang back and stop showboating so Richard can shine more. 

?????

I don't care for Fortus. I'd prefer Izzy or Gilby in a heart beat. But this is such a petty reason to not like him. Because he of a little showmanship? I mean, Axl is stuck on his crapper, Slash just walks around and Duff barely does anything, at least SOMEONE is moving about putting on a show. This a rock concert after all...

I think Fortus is great! Great talent and energy. But maybe Slash and Duff are still a bit frozen..u know. Usually Duff and Slash move much more around the stage. Like Slash's solo gigs last summer. I think the engine is still a bit cold for them..

6 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

It might be a tad too much next to Slash and Duff but his skills trumps it all. Maybe Slash and Duff should rock out more?

This exactly Richard isn't going to stop rocking just cause Duff and Slash can't keep up lol Richard rules he is probably technically a better guitarist than Slash.

• Like 1