Richard a bit overbearing?

So like me get this straight.

Some people don’t seem to like Richard being Richard.

I thought he was just being himself.

Have people forgotten what Guns N Roses is about.

So we wanna dedicate this song to the people who try to hold you back. The people who tell you how to live, people who tell you how to dress, people who tell you how to talk.. people who tell you what you can say and what you can’t say. I personally DON’T NEED THAT! I DON’T NEED THAT SHIT IN MY LIFE. Goes to the kind of people that get me down, they make me feel like somebody, somebody out there is Out ta get meee!

Axl Rose - Guns n’ Roses –live at the Ritz 1988, right before Out ta get me.

So Richard has to change who he is as a person to suit the fans, slash and duff now they are in the band.

I don’t think Slash and Duff would have asked him to change who he is. Not really their place or business to change who someone is as a person.

I would think it’s know one’ business or place to change Richard as a person or how he chooses to play guitar.

• Like 3

Richard can NOT be compared to izzy or Gilby.

Why?

Because he is a MUCH BETTER guitar player and an incredible LEAD GUITAR PLAYER.

NO, Richard is not the "rythm" guitarist of Guns N' Roses, he is both Lead & Rythm.

I like that because he does play a lot of Lead guitar and sounds incredible.

He is the second best guitar player ever in Guns N' Roses. The Slash/Fortus combo is the best we could ever imagine for this band.

THIS!

• Like 1

I've never been a fan of Richard's stage moves but he's a quality player in the good, old style and he's OK by me.

By the way, I keep hearing how Bowie wanted him in his band- news to me, can we have some form of evidence?

Nope. Saw them twice in Vegas and Richard is fun to watch, great stage presence, great energy, kicks ass on guitar. He's always been this way and having seen him live with GnR 6 times now my opinion has not changed. Easily my favoutite new member post 1996. 

Ashba is out and suddenly Richard is overbearing? Please. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, JohnnyGtar said:

Yeah, Richard is an A-list rock guitar badass. I've known him about 15 years. (I hooked him up with the Fernandes Sustainer guitar that he used on Madagascar on their MTV return appearance back in the early 2000's. He told me that Axl liked the sound of that sustainer feature so much that he had Richard add some overdubs with it to Madagascar on CD.)  In addition to his musical talents, he's one of the coolest humans you will ever meet, famous or not. Being in the same room listening to him check out guitars is a mind-bending experience. Yeah, he's THAT good.

Now, do I feel that Slash and Fortus are an official "Guitar team of doom"? HELL YES. I hope these 2 have a long lasting and very productive partnership. Those 2 can accomplish much. I hope to choose to. Izzy's not here. That was his choice. Even with Izzy IN the band, Slash is the guitar god. We all know that. Fortus is a bad mofo, and I'm glad that Slash has another guitar partner worthy of his talents.

Wow that's awesome. Can you tell more 4tus stories? I'm "friends" with him on FB but have never even seen him.

1 hour ago, God of Thunder said:

oh good, another one of these threads....

As the Frank, Melissa and now Richard bashing threads are already open I wonder what is next? some suggestions:

Axl Rose a bit too stiff on stage

Slash`s hat is a little overwhelming

Duff is too tall for the stage

Also if Richard stopped being so animated there would be the thread for he's not animated enough on stage.

43 minutes ago, GnRFL said:

I wish Richard would just stare at his shoes and be stationary. :dance:

Clapton he is not. It's not who he is the stationary kind. He must be on the loose. And I don't think he's faking it or anything. It's like Axl got his set of stage moves, Slash too.

You can think it sucks but it's just the way he projects himself on stage, his style. Banging the guitar really really hard is here to stay.

When all the lineup speculation began Fortus was the one guy from NuGnR that I was least worried about.. No one hardly mentioned him until the shows started and now I can't stand him.

I do think he is a showboat and it is fairly cheesy but that isn't too big of a deal as I hardly noticed him at the show except when he was ruining shit musically.

His guitars are too loud.. Louder than Slash's half the time
Not a fan of his guitar tone and effects. 
He has a lead players ego. He can't just play the songs the traditional way. Rocket Queen is a perfect song and he has to show off and change all the rhythm parts and ruin it. Less is more dude. Stop showing off, 95% of the people in the audience don't care about you and there is no need for your solo in Rocket Queen. 
The chemistry between him and Slash is the worst of any guitar player I have heard Slash play with
Slash as a lead player with a solid Rhythm player works 

His big man boob sticking out of his shirt is weird too

• Like 2

Pretty sure the only reason anyone notices Richard's stage presence is because Axl is in a chair and Slash and Duff don't move around that much.

Once Axl is on his feet again, all eyes will be on him for the most part.  

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Kasanova King said:

Pretty sure the only reason anyone notices Richard's stage presence is because Axl is in a chair and Slash and Duff don't move around that much.

Once Axl is on his feet again, all eyes will be on him for the most part.  

This is a fantastic point!  I rarely notice Richard myself, though I do notice him bc I occasionally look around to take in the whole scene or see what Duff is up to...and then I see Richard.

but, normally I'm focused on Axl and/or Slash.

When I do see Richard and his antics, I think oh cool...he loves the music and having fun...so it doesn't bother me.

• Like 2

Just watched KOHD from the last show.. The unnecessary Fortus solo was again louder than Slash's solo.. Slash is best when he has time to go off and find his groove. The second half of his solos are when jaws start dropping. He doesn't even get the time to get there because Foreskin needs to solo.. Same thing on Rocket Queen. The quickened still tempo doesn't help either... 

23 hours ago, jacdaniel said:

I am loving every minute of this tour so far. I don't mind at all that izzy and Steven are not involved. The setlist is awesome.  

The only that irritates me a bit is Richard.

I think his stage presence / moves are really overbearing and a bit cheesy... The big powerful guitar strikes and holding his guitar high above his head. Spinning in circles.. it looks a bit lame and unGuns n Roses to me. He also seems to showboat quite a bit when Slash is soloing.

I don't think that him and Slash have great chemistry together. 

I think Slash plays better with a more chilled out rhythm player beside him. 

What do yous think?

Wow.  You took the words right out of my mouth.

1 hour ago, Tom-Ass said:

When all the lineup speculation began Fortus was the one guy from NuGnR that I was least worried about.. No one hardly mentioned him until the shows started and now I can't stand him.

I do think he is a showboat and it is fairly cheesy but that isn't too big of a deal as I hardly noticed him at the show except when he was ruining shit musically.

His guitars are too loud.. Louder than Slash's half the time
Not a fan of his guitar tone and effects. 
He has a lead players ego. He can't just play the songs the traditional way. Rocket Queen is a perfect song and he has to show off and change all the rhythm parts and ruin it. Less is more dude. Stop showing off, 95% of the people in the audience don't care about you and there is no need for your solo in Rocket Queen. 
The chemistry between him and Slash is the worst of any guitar player I have heard Slash play with
Slash as a lead player with a solid Rhythm player works 

His big man boob sticking out of his shirt is weird too

Love or hate him, Fortus will be in GNR for the rest of the band's history. Mark my words. Get used to it. I laugh that some of you would rather have Gilby back. Are you shitting me? The dude is barely capable and talk about man boob hanging out and really bad stage attire while in the band. Woof.

1 minute ago, Ak1nney said:

I laugh that some of you would rather have Gilby back. Are you shitting me? The dude is barely capable 

The band sounded a lot better when he was in the band.. And at the R&RHOF.. And when he joined Slash's band onstage..

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

The band sounded a lot better when he was in the band.. And at the R&RHOF.. And when he joined Slash's band onstage..

You could barely hear Gilby most of the time. GN'R was never a one guitar band. Izzy is more prominent on AFD than Slash is on a good chunk of the songs.

6 hours ago, God of Thunder said:

oh good, another one of these threads....

As the Frank, Melissa and now Richard bashing threads are already open I wonder what is next? some suggestions:

Axl Rose a bit too stiff on stage

Slash`s hat is a little overwhelming

Duff is too tall for the stage

Bashing? Sharing a negative opinion about something is not bashing. Why are you so sensitive? Do you want this forum to censor opinions which happen to be negative? For fucks sake.

• Like 4