Richard a bit overbearing?

On ‎21‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 10:19 AM, James Bond said:

Something to consider is that Richard comes from the Malcolm Young school of tone - almost clean with just enough bite to break into a light overdrive.

For real??

On ‎21‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 10:29 AM, The Glow Inc. said:

Dude had to refuse gigs with David Bowie and Nine Inch Nails before...I think he's pretty comfortable regarding his career.

Playing guitar in NIN ain't exactly a high demanding gig for a guitar player. And we all know who was in that band :wow:

22 hours ago, RONIN said:

Such a stupid topic. Richard is incredible. The guy is soo underrated, he should be lead guitar for guns. He can play circles around Slash and Buckethead. Everybody here knows this.

No way in hell does he have the chops of Buckethead. I'd argue his technical chops would be on par or better than Slash (chicken picking/sweeps) but doesn't have as close to the feeling. (which is of course subjective)

20 hours ago, Carburetta said:

In Vegas I barely noticed Richard, easy to forget him when Axl, Slash and Duff are on stage together. It doesn't really matter what Richard feels the need to do, he's never going to upstage Slash. He might as well be invisible when he is on the same stage as Slash, I doubt Slash really cares too much either.

If Richard had written riffs and solos to songs which are ingrained in the psych of millions of the worlds music listening population then maybe Slash would have cause for concern.

Thankfully I don't notice so much either.

The whole bad tattoo/posing  just doesn't seem to fit.

I always loved how these guys could pull the orgasm faces on solos so brutally bad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgKnqlPqDqs

Saying that out of all the  nuGNR players I think Fortus is the best fit with the current band (even though I'd take Izzy or Gilby in a heartbeat)

Finck was a horrific player, probably one of the worst professional guitar players there is.

Buckethead would be insane to see play with Slash but its too giants on the same stage it would never make sense.

Ashba was from the style over substance school.

Bumblefoot started out pretty shaky and over playing the shit out of stuff but he keep it pretty close to the source as he moved on...but yet again GNR isn't really a 2 lead guy band.

Even Izzy wasn't the best live fit for the more guitar heavy stuff like locomotive/coma....that's one thing plus Fortus can flip between....even if I'm not a fan of his higher gain tone at all.

At this point I'd love to see Izzy even just used in the studio and whoever else used for live.

• Like 1

On 4/21/2016 at 1:19 PM, James Bond said:

Richard comes from the Malcolm Young school of tone - almost clean with just enough bite to break into a light overdrive.

If that was the case his tone would mesh perfectly with Slash but it just isn't.. His tone is more NIN or NuGuns... You can hear it heavily in the It's So Easy in the NuGuns and shows they play on TV and it is immediately noticed on the Troubador show. It is a loud NIN sound that drowns out Slash especially during the main chords of the verses. I wrongfully thought it was Melissa synth at first and I apologize. It is Fortus..

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, shotsfired cro said:

I said it before and I ll say it again.

Fortus in no shape or form fits Guns N Roses, unless we are talking about past cover band.

No sage presence, charisma...

Gilby must had been there if Izzy wasn't. GNR was always that hat wearing band ie. Slash, Gilby, Sambora style.

Old school rick band.

Definately not Fortus look or playing style.

:facepalm:

1 hour ago, Bumble's Bridge Pickup said:

It's not an exaggeration:

Sure he stacks some OD pedals and fuzzes every now and then, but I'd argue that he plays with less gain than Slash, most of the time. Fortus is all about tone

I would say that's pretty equal to Slash...I was comparing him to Izzy in gain

And that's not what I'd personally call nice tone :/ ...sounds pretty generic

1 hour ago, Tom-Ass said:

If that was the case his tone would mesh perfectly with Slash but it just isn't.. His tone is more NIN or NuGuns... You can hear it heavily in the It's So Easy in the NuGuns and shows they play on TV and it is immediately noticed on the Troubador show. It is a loud NIN sound that drowns out Slash especially during the main chords of the verses. I wrongfully thought it was Melissa synth at first and I apologize. It is Fortus..

I didn't have much trouble hearing Slash at the shows I was at but I purposely choose Slashs side of the stage too lol

I wouldn't say its NIN but its definitely more modern...that can work great for stuff like Coma but not so much for AFD stuff.

He has a ton of amps/cabs on stage so I'm sure he switches and I can hear changes for sure going through the night.

I don't know why everyone has to have the terrible generic tattoos/steampunk guitars/ashba style swag these days.....its like cardboard cutouts

At the end of the day ...... I just want to say...thank fuck we got a chance to see the big three back together...I can handle pretty much anyone up there as long as its not Finck

Edited by axlsnutsack
  • Like 1

Does it really matter how good Fortus is on leads when you already have a guy like Slash????? I really don't want to hear Fortus on any leads to be honest.  I want to hear Axl sing and Slash play lead.  PERIOD.  

Fortus is a monster player, he is.  But I agree with @Tom-Ass.... Every solo that isn't an Izzy or Bucket etc solo that he does just is not needed.  

• Like 3

On 4/21/2016 at 0:42 PM, jacdaniel said:

I am loving every minute of this tour so far. I don't mind at all that izzy and Steven are not involved. The setlist is awesome.  

The only that irritates me a bit is Richard.

I think his stage presence / moves are really overbearing and a bit cheesy... The big powerful guitar strikes and holding his guitar high above his head. Spinning in circles.. it looks a bit lame and unGuns n Roses to me. He also seems to showboat quite a bit when Slash is soloing.

I don't think that him and Slash have great chemistry together. 

I think Slash plays better with a more chilled out rhythm player beside him. 

What do yous think?

I agree  Izzy and Gilby were both laid back rhythm guitar players. Kushner from Velvet tho was more like fortus. Would prefer gilby or Izzy, GNR was best with only 1 lead, but life is full of compromises, lol

Edited by Theseeker123
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, smoking guns said:

Does it really matter how good Fortus is on leads when you already have a guy like Slash????? I really don't want to hear Fortus on any leads to be honest.  I want to hear Axl sing and Slash play lead.  PERIOD.  

Fortus is a monster player, he is.  But I agree with @Tom-Ass.... Every solo that isn't an Izzy or Bucket etc solo that he does just is not needed.  

lol I commented before I read your post, and I think we are saying the same thing

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tom-Ass said:

Saying it was close to Malcolm Young was probably an exaggeration, but he's not a heavy gain guy and his rig shows that. He dials in the OD and/or fuzz pedals for solos but that's it for the most part. A punchy tone like his is going to cut through the mix more than a dirty tone like Slash's. That's where the clash lies. From there it's up to the sound guys to get the right balance and compensate where need be. Slash has long used an EQ pedal in his rig to boost those mid frequencies. Richard's volume is hit or miss in the videos we've been getting. Those who film from Richard's side are definitely getting more of him. It seems they did better overall at the Mexico shows with the balance from what I've heard.

6 hours ago, maynard said:

Bashing? Sharing a negative opinion about something is not bashing. Why are you so sensitive? Do you want this forum to censor opinions which happen to be negative? For fucks sake.

Ya man dont understand why some of these guys are so sensitive, No one is allowed an opinion I guess.

2 hours ago, axlsnutsack said:

I wouldn't say its NIN but its definitely more modern...that can work great for stuff like Coma but not so much for AFD stuff.

Definitely.. I was just about to go check out the new upload of Coma. 

I don't find him to be overbearing, if anything he has always been a "side man" presence even in 2001-2014 when he should have had more lead duties.

My only issue is the sound guy seems to be turning up Fortus louder than Slash in RQ and WYWH