Prince 1958 - 2016

HeartbreakerWoman

5 minutes ago, Towelie said:

As I'm sure most of you know, I'm a massive Prince fan. Him and MJ were like Gods to me growing up. For about ten years I listened to nothing but MJ and Prince. To me, Prince was just so much cooler than practically everybody else out there. When I think of Prince, yes of course there's the incredible art (which most people are criminally oblivious to), but one of the main things that I think of was just how cool he was. He was the best and he fucking knew it. You could put him on a stage with ANYONE, and he would own them. He had a talent that almost seemed supernatural, it was so intuitive to him, he literally breathed music. I've seen him share a stage with many artists over the years and you always came away feeling bad for the other artists. Nobody stood a fucking chance when that little dude was onstage.

I consider myself so lucky to have witnessed him doing his thing multiple times over the years and they are memories I will cherish.

MJ was always my hero growing up but only got into Prince much later. But everything else you said was on the money. I'm just devastated that I never saw him live what with him being who he was as an artist I never believed that someone with only like 15 of his albums deserved to go to a show of his.

9 minutes ago, Len B'stard said:

Jacko was a fair bit bigger than Prince though.

I think Prince was always an accidental superstar. Really, he was far more suited to being an indie, cult artist as much of his music goes way over the heads of Joe Public. We live in very unsophisticated times, Prince releasing music today is literally like casting pearls before the swine and I don't care if that comes off as snobby or elitist, because anybody who is truly familiar with his body of work knows exactly what I'm talking about.

Edited by Towelie
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Towelie said:

I think Prince was always an accidental superstar. Really, he was far more suited to being an indie, cult artist as much of his music goes way above the heads of Joe Public. We live in very unsophisticated times, Prince releasing music today is literally like casting pearls before the swine and I don't care if that comes off as snobby or elitist, because anybody who is truly familiar with his body of work knows exactly what I'm talking about.

No doubt you'll hear all about the "1999" or "Purple Rain" singer all over news today.  

I can only echo the sentiments of others.  I was never really a big fan of Prince but I certainly respect the amazing talent he was.  Sometimes adjectives to describe greatness get thrown around all too easily, but in his case they were justified.

Sad day for true music lovers, another one gone.

Selfishly, I'm now even more happy we get to see GNR this summer, you know, before something like this makes it impossible.  Damn.

13 minutes ago, Towelie said:

I think Prince was always an accidental superstar. Really, he was far more suited to being an indie, cult artist as much of his music goes way over the heads of Joe Public. We live in very unsophisticated times, Prince releasing music today is literally like casting pearls before the swine and I don't care if that comes off as snobby or elitist, because anybody who is truly familiar with his body of work knows exactly what I'm talking about.

Never been a fan, never liked him in the least though I am aware that, apparently, his discography has a lot to it that is of a worthy musical value, might not be my cup of tea but there you go.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Johnny Drama said:

No doubt you'll hear all about the "1999" or "Purple Rain" singer all over news today.  

Yeah, I just saw someone on Facebook talk about what a great song Kiss is and it's like, you ain't got the first fucking clue mate. I know most artists are defined by a relatively small number of tracks (at least in the minds of the general public), but in Prince's case, his body of work is so sprawling, so ambitious and so creative that it almost feels disrespectful to define him that same way.

People just don't know what we've lost here. If you're reading this and you don't really know what I'm referring to, check out a song like Power Fantastic, or Crystal Ball, or All My Dreams. I mean, I could go on all day, but to me, this is the real Prince. Avant garde, ethereal, psychedelic.... people really don't know the extent of this mans talents. Most people haven't even begun to scratch the surface with this guy. Even if you own every record the man put out, you still haven't even started with him.

38 minutes ago, Towelie said:

Yeah, I just saw someone on Facebook talk about what a great song Kiss is and it's like, you ain't got the first fucking clue mate. I know most artists are defined by a relatively small number of tracks (at least in the minds of the general public), but in Prince's case, his body of work is so sprawling, so ambitious and so creative that it almost feels disrespectful to define him that same way.

People just don't know what we've lost here. If you're reading this and you don't really know what I'm referring to, check out a song like Power Fantastic, or Crystal Ball, or All My Dreams. I mean, I could go on all day, but to me, this is the real Prince. Avant garde, ethereal, psychedelic.... people really don't know the extent of this mans talents. Most people haven't even begun to scratch the surface with this guy. Even if you own every record the man put out, you still haven't even started with him.

everyone is the fan when the artist dies, it's weird how people use a death of someone to elevate their own status. 

2 hours ago, Len B'stard said:

Never been a fan, never liked him in the least though I am aware that, apparently, his discography has a lot to it that is of a worthy musical value, might not be my cup of tea but there you go.

Prince's music did nothing for me, at all.

But I could appreciate his talent and I understand the immense sense of loss for his fans. Sad.

• Like 1

@Len B'stard have you heard anything from Prince's first three albums before he went more mainstream? He was a pure R&B soul type singer with a huge dose of sexuality. I wanna be your lover is pure magic. Private Joy. Controversy. 

Prince is my favorite musician of all time. 

Buddy Holly is second. Then Axl. 

I feel like my favorite uncle died. 

Michael might have been the king of pop. But Prince had a coolness that MJ couldn't touch. 

When Doves Cry. Little Red Corvette. Pop Life. I Would Die Dor You. Purple Rain. There are so many great and amazing pop songs that I can't even think right now. 

The music world just lost its most talented living member. Not sure who moves up to number one now. 

Horrible horrible day. 

2 hours ago, Wagszilla said:

Prince and Michael are two totally different performers. No need to choose sides. We're poorer for not having their brilliance in our lives.

And yet to me they are 2 sides of the same coin. Love them both. But for Michael I cared more as a whole, for Prince it was more on the performance side. Since seeing Michael perform isn't possible anymore, I was glad to still being able to see Prince perform for many times to come. Can't believe that has come to an end too. It's all so unfair.

3 hours ago, dalsh327 said:

You're probably going to start seeing more Prince videos being posted but this is one Spike Lee put up today. 

My favourite song of that album.

Never was much of a fan of his work. But the man could give great live shows and play the absolute shit out of a guitar. RIP. 

I always absolutely fucking loved his playing on this though, 3:30 until the end. 

Edit: just noticed Soul Monster already posted it. Oh well, here's to sloppy seconds. 

Edited by username
  • Like 1