Prince 1958 - 2016

HeartbreakerWoman

18 hours ago, Len B'stard said:

Lets not go overboard eh?

11 hours ago, Amir said:

Had heard for years that he was a great performer, aunt of mine who grew up with his music during the '80s saw one of his gigs at The O2 in 2007 and constantly raved about it, how he had played for a couple of hours, went off stage, half the crowd left thinking concert was done before he came running out with just an acoustic guitar and played for another hour.

When he did his secret club shows with 3RDEYEGIRL in London in Feb 2014, I was out of the country, and was gutted I'd missed the shows, especially with posters here raving about him as well. So when I was back in the UK in April and heard he was doing a few dates in Manchester and Birmingham I made sure to get a ticket to one of the Birmingham shows.

Mind-blowing. I remember a funny moment at the start of the show where Prince came on and his mike stand was set to high; one of the stage hands looked like he was about to shit himself but Prince just stuck one hand out to him while still looking out at the crowd and adjusted it down ever so gracefully himself. I'd never listened to Planet Earth before so when "Guitar" came on I was in awe. 3RDEYEGIRL were easy on the ears and the eyes so that helped ;) I had to hang around Birmingham city centre until my Megabus belatedly arrived at 6am, but it was totally worth it.

Then a few weeks after that it was announced he'd be doing two shows in one night at the Roundhouse in London. I tried to get tickets to the late show since I reckoned he'd play longer at that one but it seemed to instantly sell out on Ticketmaster, so I got a ticket to the early show instead. Then after half an hour tickets for the late gig turned up again on Ticketmaster. At £80 a ticket I thought it'd be madness to go to both, and even after I bought the ticket and stood in line for the first gig at the Roundhouse that night, for a second I considered selling it to a guy in front who was bragging to his mates about haggling down a reseller for the late show to "a mere" £250, money I could have really done with.

But then I remembered how great that Birmingham gig was, and held on to both my tickets.

And I was blown away again. Even when playing a hit like Purple Rain twice in one night, he managed to make it sound fresh both times.

On Wednesday someone was asking me who my favourite live performers were, and I gave the answer I've given ever since then: GNR, Springsteen, and Prince. Those three are/were in a league of their own. With Springsteen and Prince, I don't listen to their music as often at home, but I'l l always try and see them when they come to town, and was planning on seeing Prince on his November 2015 tour before that got cancelled. With the lack of videos on YouTube it's hard to share with someone just how amazing his concerts really were, but even with video evidence it's still impossible to translate just how magical an experience his live shows really were.

Prince was a hybrid of styles but as far as a live performer, he raised the bar. It feels like this generation is seeing the last of an era of music. I hope not. 

• Like 1

On April 22, 2016 at 3:01 AM, Angelica said:

He was the most gifted musician in the history of modern/pop music. Hands down, he's peerless. I don't understand how he's dead since he was obviously supernatural in the first place, but I'm shattered. 

Normally I hesitate to say someone is the greatest but I think it's appropriate in Prince's case.  People say well what about Hendrix, Lennon, Michael Jackson, etc.  Well.  Prince was all of them in one.  

I am forever grateful that I got to see him in concert and heartbroken that I'll never get to again.

• Like 1

Posted this in the "Last Album You Listened To" thread, but over the past 2 days, I've listened to all of these at least once straight through:

Prince - 1999
Prince & The Revolution - Purple Rain
Prince & The Revolution - Around The World In A Day
Prince & The Revolution - Parade
Prince - Lovesexy
Prince & The New Power Generation - Diamonds & Pearls
Prince & The New Power Generation - O+->
Prince - Rave Un2 The Joy Fantastic
Prince & 3rdEyeGirl - S/T
Prince - Sign 'O' The Times
Prince - Batman Soundtrack

Dude was a fucking genius. Unequaled and unmatched by anyone ever. 

• Like 1

On 22/04/2016 at 4:17 PM, Len B'stard said:

Not a lot, though Dies' had a good go :lol:

I also had some posts removed when everybody was crying over Weiland's demise.

I'm not a fan of Prince but I have no quarrels about sticking him on those great lists. I might explore his music further.

Seems like he had a Beatles type career with early pop hits then experimenting doing his own thing. 

57 seems like some weird sexual position he invented so it seems a fitting number to go out on. 

But too young. Must be knackering flying around the world. I take a flight and get the flu immediately. I wonder if air con systems are full of viruses. 

On 4/22/2016 at 10:33 AM, Apollo said:

Distractors just haven't followed his career. 

His R&B career before he became popular was magnificent. 

Then his pop career was absolutely glorious. 

Then he evolved into a more mature pop stage which was off the charts. 

Then he became this dance music artist. 

Many one of those four stages would have made him an all time great. And he had FOUR of them. 

And the guy was a great guitar player as well. You didn't see Lennon owning the stage with a guitar solo. And their were albums were Prince played EVERY instrument on it.

Michael Jackson is the king of pop. But you knew what you were going to get with him. Prince's next album could have been any one of a multitude of genres - and could have killed it. 

Music is totally subjective. So we can say who are favorite is. But saying who the goat is is a hard prospect. 

Len I love you. But you really are wrong about Prince. Was he the best of all time? His name certainly belongs in the conversation.  Without a doubt. 

But was he the most creative and versatile artist of all time. Without a doubt. Nobody has moved across genres as fluidly as he did. 

But was he the most creative and versatile artist of all time. Without a doubt. Nobody has moved across genres as fluidly as he did"

without a doubt

and one of the best musicians as wel

14 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Posted this in the "Last Album You Listened To" thread, but over the past 2 days, I've listened to all of these at least once straight through:

Prince - 1999
Prince & The Revolution - Purple Rain
Prince & The Revolution - Around The World In A Day
Prince & The Revolution - Parade
Prince - Lovesexy
Prince & The New Power Generation - Diamonds & Pearls
Prince & The New Power Generation - O+->
Prince - Rave Un2 The Joy Fantastic
Prince & 3rdEyeGirl - S/T
Prince - Sign 'O' The Times
Prince - Batman Soundtrack

Dude was a fucking genius. Unequaled and unmatched by anyone ever. 

You don't like his early work?

1 hour ago, jmapelian said:

But was he the most creative and versatile artist of all time. Without a doubt. Nobody has moved across genres as fluidly as he did"

without a doubt

and one of the best musicians as wel

Agree 100%

Most of the all time greats are there because they dominated their genre. Whether it be Jimi or Lennon or Axl or Jagger or Michael or whomever. 

But Prince was a Boss in multiple genres and areas. Axl isn't going to rock an R&B album. Michael didn't own a stage with his guitar work. Lennon didn't put out three killer dance albums. 

And Prince didn't just kick ass in one area and then do a cool spin in one other. Dude was a beast in multiple genres and areas. 

40 top 40 songs

won an Oscar and multiple Grammy awards 

I think he had 15 platinum albums. 

And was an all time great live performer. 

• Like 2

Most of the all time greats are there because they dominated their genre. Whether it be Jimi or Lennon or Axl or Jagger or Michael or whomever. 

But Prince was a Boss in multiple genres and areas. Axl isn't going to rock an R&B album. Michael didn't own a stage with his guitar work. Lennon didn't put out three killer dance albums. 

I'd like to dispute this if i may.  Jimi Hendrix didn't work in other genres, OK, this man played with The Isley Brothers, Little Richard, then he was the shit at blues, then he kinda single handedly created rock music as a genre (if not single handedly then it's between the Hendrix Experience and Cream) and ended up creating his own kind of weird inimitable music, he crossed genres plenty.  John Lennon didn't work do work in multiple genres and areas?  OK, starts off in The Beatles, they're doing Tamla Motown early on, girl group numbers, then rock n roll, other kindsa soul like Marvin Gaye, they got country songs, they got music hall songs, they're at the forefront of the creation of modern pop music, they do psychedelia, they do blues, they do folk...Christ, Lennon even made art albums, in fact i cant think of much he didn't do.  These guys were bringing fuckin' sitars into Abbey Road Studios for crying out loud :lol:  

And Jagger didn't work within other genres?  Again, soul, rock n roll, blues, country, disco, rhythm and blues, reggae.

Edited by Len B'stard
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Apollo said:

You don't like his early work?

I like almost everything he did. I just have the most memories directly attached to the mid 80s - 2000s work. So for the last several days, there's been a lot of "Oh god, do you remember (doing this) when that Prince album came out!" amongst all my friends and family, so that's why that material is getting the most time currently.

Hopefully that makes sense. I'm half awake and wasn't sure how to type what I meant lol

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Angelica said:

There are tons of live performances and official music videos popping back up on YouTube, not sure if his estate will yank them eventually or not.

I'm sure eventually they will take things down. :(  But it's been great to relive some of his live performances and in some case see some that I never knew about.

I'm also positive new music will come out.  I know Lenny Kravitz talked about some songs they did together years ago.  I really hope he decided to release them! 

11 hours ago, RussTCB said:

I like almost everything he did. I just have the most memories directly attached to the mid 80s - 2000s work. So for the last several days, there's been a lot of "Oh god, do you remember (doing this) when that Prince album came out!" amongst all my friends and family, so that's why that material is getting the most time currently.

Hopefully that makes sense. I'm half awake and wasn't sure how to type what I meant lol

I feel you. 

A lot of fans started their journey with 1999 and Purple Rain and missed out on how great his first albums were. I Wanna Be Your Lover, Private Joy, Controvesy, Dirty Mind are just classic and really show the talent of the man in a totally different environment than what he ended up becoming. 

I think those songs get lost in the shuffle. So I'm always trying to steer people back to those classics that show him as a really young man just starting off. 

17 minutes ago, Apollo said:

I feel you. 

A lot of fans started their journey with 1999 and Purple Rain and missed out on how great his first albums were. I Wanna Be Your Lover, Private Joy, Controvesy, Dirty Mind are just classic and really show the talent of the man in a totally different environment than what he ended up becoming. 

I think those songs get lost in the shuffle. So I'm always trying to steer people back to those classics that show him as a really young man just starting off. 

I own various versions of them and know then well, I just have them on vinyl yet. I went in search of the harder to find LPs first and I'm really glad I did now. His later output went through the roof as soon as news broke on Thursday. I can grab For You, Prince and the other early ones very easily so I just hadn't gotten around to doing it yet. 

My local record store knows the first four that I'm missing and they're gonna set me up for regular price when they get good copies in. 

As for later stuff, the only ones available that I was missing were The Rainbow Children and Lotusflow3r / MLPS Sound. I was able to get the latter from Discogs for $50 yesterday so I'm happy with that but The Rainbow Children is absolutely outrageous. The cheapest one I've seen since Thursday was $1500 :/

On 22/04/2016 at 3:46 PM, Len B'stard said:

Right, hence the words 'i can go on'.  Also, the person i was responding to (Angelica) wasn't talking about music, they said modern music or pop music and in the realm of modern popular music, John Lennon and Jimi Hendrix are a big noise.  As i said i could go on, Michael Jackson would be another good shout.  Or Marvin Gaye.  Or James Brown.  Didn't figure people around here much listen to Marvin Gaye and James Brown though so off the top of my head Hendrix and ol' Johnny boy seemed the obvious pick.  When i think of prodigious musical talent in the modern popular music sphere Jimi Hendrix comes immediately to mind.

I very well might be, like i said, not the biggest fan, I've heard Purple Rain under duress a couple of times getting rides in my brothers car, I heard an album at some point back in the day when 'The Most Beautiful Girl in the World' was big, a smattering here and there, never thought much of it.  I mean there's an obvious high level talent there, it's just when i hear things like 'ABSOLUTELY PEERLESS!' and 'THE BEST EVER IN MODERN POPULAR MUSIC!' it kinda makes me go, well hang on a second.

It wasn't Johns job to do guitar solos.  I'm reasonably certain when i die and float up to heaven I'm gonna get up to the gates and Johns gonna open them and I'm gonna be like 'John, so you made it then!' and he's gonna gimme a B&H, light it for me and go 'made it?  I'm in charge up here, come in lad, sit down, Gabriel, sort him out a drink eh?' :lol:  We're gonna spend eternity playing pool with Harry Nilsson and running around with a Kotex on our heads and tryna chat up angels :lol:

It always happens this way, Len. When Bowie died people were saying exactly the same thing; he's the greatest, moved across so many genres, totally unique, unmatched, etc. Same with Jackson. The truth is that all of these people are geniuses at their craft, in one form or another, but it is human nature to elevate those that mean something to us on a personal level to a peerless place and as part of that people hang epithets on performers that are not appropriate because people scramble to express their fandom and often end up falling into subconscious one-upmanship over how great the artist was. The While My Guitar Gently Weeps video on YouTube is full of this; Prince is the greatest guitarist of all time, a better composer than Mozart, the best dancer in history, the most talented human to ever live, etc. It's personal grief expressed through social media and a lot of people simply get caught up in the hysteria.

Edited by PappyTron
  • Like 3

I could have bought 20 copies of Lotusflow3r at 2 dollars a piece at Target but I bought the one copy, now I'm seeing it at 20-30 dollars. Copies of Crystal Ball, and I saw them at Wherehouse unopened for 5 dollars a piece, now going for at least 100 bucks. 

Edited by dalsh327