Prince 1958 - 2016

HeartbreakerWoman

Here you can listen to Prince's last concert on April 14th in Atlanta:

Dearly Beloved: Fans mourn and reflect on Prince’s last concert in Atlanta

www.axs.com/news/dearly-beloved…ncert-in-atla-82233

No one imagined that it would be the last time Prince would perform, when they saw him during his stop in Atlanta last week, April 14, 2016, after a 12 year hiatus. Prince's “Piano and a Microphone” tour was a flawless display of his artistry. Like the show's title suggests, it was just him, his piano and a purple strobe light beaming down as he played. The backdrop was a screen with illustrations of various images of the artist that dissolved into a collage of his various looks and album covers through the decades.

Prince was a vibrant example of genius who negotiated both God and sex into his music as never seen before. His songs were a blend of prayer and foreplay. He made spirituality and sex coexist - as they should.

Prince was magical.

Prince was a free man.

Fans witnessed this display of freedom when he played his last two shows at 7pm and 10pm at The Fox Theatre, downtown Atlanta. Both were sold out. He poured his heart out in an intimate setting with no band and no backup singers - only his free Black-self donning a natural Afro.

"The setting was intimate and it was an amazing event," commented Marla Pruitt, a motivational speaker and accountability coach.

"The opportunity to see him live and performing alone was life changing. The image of him sitting at the piano will be forever embedded in my brain,” she said.

That evening, as he played a 90 minute medley of songs from his iconic catalog, he discussed, love, relationships and social issues. He also reminded the crowd that #BlackLivesMatter. Throughout the show he made several references to his pending memoir about his life. Upon hearing the news of his passing, fans expressed disbelief.

“It is with profound sadness that I am confirming that the legendary, iconic performer, Prince Rogers Nelson, has died at his Paisley Park residence this morning at the age of 57,” said his publicist Yvette Noel-Schure.

On social media the sentiments poured out across the virtual world.

@FrankWrenn: “One week ago today, I was excited to see Prince perform at the Fox. No one could know that his Atlanta performance would be his last”

@IamRickyChin: “Prince did Marley’s waiting in vain in his last performance. Piano only.”

While fans were told not to snap photos or record videos some were able to capture a few images and shared them online during the show and then again one week later with their expressions of grief.

Actress Holly Robinson Peete tweeted, "In Atlanta now where Prince performed his last show. My heart is shattered. Cannot process."

One of Prince’s final tweets immediately after his Atlanta performance reads: I am #transformed

We too are transformed "your Royal Highness." So are we!

The FINAL SET-LIST

• When Will B Paid
• The Max
• Black Sweat
• Girl
• I Would Die 4 U
• Baby, I’m a Star
• Ballad of Dorothy Parker
• Dark
• B-side Song (Indifference)
• I Love U But I Don’t Trust U
• Little Red Corvette
• It was a non-stop onslaught of songs;
• Dirty Mind
• Linus and Lucy (The Peanuts theme)
• back to Little Red Corvette
• Nothing Compares 2 U

Encore 1

• Cream
• Black Muse
• How Come U Don’t Call Me Anymore

Encore 2

• Waiting In Vain (Bob Marley)
• If I Was Ur Girlfriend
• back to Waiting In Vain
• back to If I Was Ur Girlfriend

Encore 3

• Sometimes It Snows In April
• Purple Rain (the crowd goes nuts)
• The Beautiful Ones
• back to Purple Rain
• Diamonds & Pearls
• back to Purple Rain

Edited by PatrickS77
New link. The other one has been removed.
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Apollo said:

This is the song that got me into Prince back in the day.  This is pre-fame. Before 1999.

I've heard this song a million times  but this is my first time ever seeing this video.  Makes me love him all over again!!  

• Like 1

It's been extremely hard for me to process this. Prince was everything to me as an artist. I fucking love GN'R, but there was less to delve into; Prince was like a treasure trove. I fell down the rabbit hole back in my teens and he was always a god to me. I got a little out of touch with him for a while (I thought, and still think, 20Ten was his worst record ever) -- but Art Official Age was what I thought to be a comeback record. It never really panned out that way. I've been in mourning the last week and it hasn't gotten any better.

Here is an absolutely fucking stellar recording of Creep that he did at Coachella. It's a soundboard recording and won't be up for long, so enjoy it while you can: http://tempsend.com/F2B485DD8E

• Like 3

On 4/24/2016 at 3:51 PM, PappyTron said:

It always happens this way, Len. When Bowie died people were saying exactly the same thing; he's the greatest, moved across so many genres, totally unique, unmatched, etc. Same with Jackson. The truth is that all of these people are geniuses at their craft, in one form or another, but it is human nature to elevate those that mean something to us on a personal level to a peerless place and as part of that people hang epithets on performers that are not appropriate because people scramble to express their fandom and often end up falling into subconscious one-upmanship over how great the artist was. The While My Guitar Gently Weeps video on YouTube is full of this; Prince is the greatest guitarist of all time, a better composer than Mozart, the best dancer in history, the most talented human to ever live, etc. It's personal grief expressed through social media and a lot of people simply get caught up in the hysteria.

Anyone who grew up to his music or Bowie's were going to be upset, but it's like all he put out as far as the mainstream's concerned was Purple Rain. He could have repeated himself and made more albums like that because he sat on a lot of unreleased 1999 & Purple Rain cuts. He had an archivist and unreleased albums in the vault, when he worked on Kate Bush's song, her former partner Del said they had hours upon hours of alternate versions and solos, so who even knows what we'll be hearing in the future that other artists have held onto. 

To me he was prolific like Frank Zappa (who resented Prince for not turning up at the PMRC hearings) but Frank didn't sell hundreds of millions of albums, he had "novelty hits". Both of them were geniuses but it was more to do with the work. Alex Winter's working on a documentary about Zappa and did a streaming of stuff straight from the vault that was mindblowing. Weather Report's also having  documentary made about them (Prince was a huge fan), and same thing..just INCREDIBLE. 

We probably will see a documentary about his life once they go through what's in the vault and hunt down the unfinished memoir, letters, and any recorded interviews that exist. I'm sure there will be one about Bowie that his son would probably be working on. 

4 hours ago, dalsh327 said:

Anyone who grew up to his music or Bowie's were going to be upset, but it's like all he put out as far as the mainstream's concerned was Purple Rain. He could have repeated himself and made more albums like that because he sat on a lot of unreleased 1999 & Purple Rain cuts. He had an archivist and unreleased albums in the vault, when he worked on Kate Bush's song, her former partner Del said they had hours upon hours of alternate versions and solos, so who even knows what we'll be hearing in the future that other artists have held onto. 

To me he was prolific like Frank Zappa (who resented Prince for not turning up at the PMRC hearings) but Frank didn't sell hundreds of millions of albums, he had "novelty hits". Both of them were geniuses but it was more to do with the work. Alex Winter's working on a documentary about Zappa and did a streaming of stuff straight from the vault that was mindblowing. Weather Report's also having  documentary made about them (Prince was a huge fan), and same thing..just INCREDIBLE. 

We probably will see a documentary about his life once they go through what's in the vault and hunt down the unfinished memoir, letters, and any recorded interviews that exist. I'm sure there will be one about Bowie that his son would probably be working on. 

We ALL need a horny little Jewish princess with a pre-moistened dumper, Dalsh.

• Like 1

Does anyone want to guess what might become of the bounty of live performances and music videos that has returned to YouTube in the wake of his returning to his home planet? Especially considering it appears he didn't leave a will. 

1 hour ago, Angelica said:

Does anyone want to guess what might become of the bounty of live performances and music videos that has returned to YouTube in the wake of his returning to his home planet? Especially considering it appears he didn't leave a will. 

This is the million dollar question.  Which is why I believe there is a will somewhere.  He was fiercely protective of his music in life.  I don't believe he would just leave things to chance after his death.  But until a will surfaces I guess we'll have to see who the courts believe should control the music and/or licensing and distribution of it.  And I think if the siblings are named it will all be taken down swiftly.

I think Prince would have had a trust set up so the money from his music would continue to go to some of the causes he believed in. I'm surprised no one's asked Larry Graham about a will though because Prince's conversion to JW tied heavily into their friendship and he was someone he heavily confided in. It seems like his sister is doing the right thing so the business can stay operational.

There's no money in it unless the songs are being licensed out and they figure out what to do next, like does Cirque de Soleil do a Prince-themed show now? There's enough of a catalog and concept based on the imagery in his videos, tours and albums to be able to make it happen. I'm sure he had to have been approached, but probably because he was still out there performing, didn't want to give consent to it until he was done touring, or he would have wanted them to use completely new music he made just for the show. 

That's been a huge moneymaker for The Beatles and Michael Jackson's estate.