Prince 1958 - 2016

HeartbreakerWoman

• 2 weeks later...
On 11 May 2016 at 0:00 PM, toroymoi said:

Gene has taken to saying any ridiculous thing that enters his mind to get some attention. He can act like a puritan about not having drank or done drugs in his life, but it isn't as simple as 'just not doing it' for everyone. 

And in some cases not taking drugs can kill you. There's this weird twilight zone of prescription drugs and treatments which if you slip up you can die. It's a minefield. You need a full time doctor with if you are flying around world with medical issues. 

46 minutes ago, wasted said:

I got HitNRun it's pretty great. The variety in Prince catalog is astounding. But I slso just get stuck on one song like Controversy. 

I recently subscribed to Tidal and I've been listening to a lot of Prince that I haven't heard in years. I was just thinking today about how incredibly diverse his catalog is while I was listening to The Vault: Old Friends 4 Sale.

• 2 weeks later...

Fentanyl is a powerful opioid prescribed by doctors to patients who develop a tolerance to other narcotics.

It’s also a street drug with ties to labs in China that produce fentanyl equivalents for global distribution.  Heroin-spiked fentanyl is marketed with brand names such as “China White” or “Fire.”  “Users know this and request it by name,” said Drug Enforcement Administration spokesman Lawrence Payne.

Nothing in the report explains whether Prince used a pharmaceutical product or a street drug. The report is silent on whether it was prescribed by a doctor or obtained illegally.  

“Was it a lozenge? Was it a skin patch?” said Dr. Yashpal Agrawal of the College of American Pathologists. What’s more, there are numerous ways to misuse and overdose on fentanyl, by applying multiple skin patches or eating one, Agrawal said.  The report says nothing about other drugs Prince may have been taking. Some prescription drugs can affect the way fentanyl is processed by the body, increasing its toxicity, Agrawal said.  

http://pagesix.com/2016/06/04/whats-left-out-of-princes-autopsy-report-raises-questions/

On 6 June 2016 at 4:43 AM, JeanGenie said:

I cant imagine that it has been prescribed. Its so fucking strong, one of the strongest painkillers.

Rich people can get anything they want. 

But it's like celebs getting DUIs. Get a driver moron. 

Why Prince doesn't have his own doctor to really tell him. But that didn't help MJ. 

Some people want to die so they can be free. 

• 2 months later...

I was in Minneapolis on business this week. I stayed an extra day so I could go see some Prince sites. Went to Electric Fetus (the last record store he shopped at), First Avenue and Paisley Park.

Fetus was a cool little record store made cooler by knowing that Prince shopped there right before he left us. First Avenue was cool to see in the first place and even more cool due to the Purple Rain connection. 

Paisley Park was a far more emotional experience than I expected to be honest. The entire fence was FILLED with stuff like this:

2hmzy2r.jpg

vs14i9.jpg

112fy2v.jpg

9vgpco.jpg

Sorry for the orientation on the first one, tiny pic won't display it correctly.

Anyway..... as I said, the entire fence was filled with stuff like this. To be smacked in the face with exactly how big of an impact he had on people was really hard to deal with.

• Like 2

On 6/8/2016 at 11:33 PM, wasted said:

Rich people can get anything they want. 

But it's like celebs getting DUIs. Get a driver moron. 

Why Prince doesn't have his own doctor to really tell him. But that didn't help MJ. 

Some people want to die so they can be free. 

Prince tried to maintain control but lost the battle. Larry Graham was someone he confided in but I could see Prince not discussing his health issues with him. Chanhassen is a small city that pretty much caters to the Mayo Clinic, the top doctors in the world go there. 

• 3 months later...

Hi people I felt compelled to talk about Prince

Prince is the musicians musician if that description even gets close to the mark 

Now that's not mine that's from the following people - Clapton Jagger Vedder Nicks Lauper Madonna Bon Jovi Wood Gallagher Smith Morello Richards Timberlake

Charlie Watts said he's the best in history and that was before he died along with the majority of people mentioned above

Elton John said he's the greatest live performer that's lived 

Mick Jagger said years ago that no one can touch him as he has created and mastered every music genre 

Eddie Vedder said he's the best guitarist on earth 

Tom Petty raved about him and still does 

These aren't your average Joe's talking here these are the idolised by millions themselves and that's what carries the m ost weight

Prince wrote produced and played every instrument on his first album at 17 and remember no technology back then 

The record company executives are on record as saying gee this band sound really tight until someone pointed out that is was Prince playing everything 

Ask Slash & Duff & Tom Morello 

The guy has made 37 albums and when you make comparisons about him with others like the Beatles and stones remember they wrote together and you count on 1 hand how many songs Prince co wrote throughout his career and Prince didn't have George Martin to produce either

Did everything himself because he could do it better than anyone else 

When you talk about Michael Jackson he used a lot of co writers especially flavour of the month producers and writers 

Michael was a genius but nowhere near Princes level

Prince had balls too when every artist were falling over themselves to get on the recording of We are the World  he flat out told Jackson and Quincy Jones he won't do it cause he hated the song not the cause just the song

Michael then asked him to duet with him on bad and Prince who according to everyone especially Chris Rock had a great sense of humour , told Michael you ain't singing your butt is mine to me and I ain't singing it to you lol

Its on YouTube check it out

Prince still has over 1000 songs recorded and mixed in his vaults and I just read 2 fantastic books on him and he never stopped working and creating or playing and performing 

Prince was all of Hendrix Lennon Presley Brown Jackson all rolled into 1 and for the people that say he's not go listen to his catalogue from start to finish then come back to the table 

Untouchable and no one will ever get close

Mick Jagger once said Prince has more talent in his fingernail than I have in my whole body 

How many times did Paul McCartney play 2 shows in 1 night then play another 4 hour show at a club in the early hours 

Then go straight to a studio and work for 3 days straight

People talk about Purple Rain well his next album Around the world in a day is not only brilliant but it was already recorded and ready to go before the Purple Rain movie come out and it was completely different music

Prince lived and breathed music and would still be doing if he hadn't died from a drug addiction to painkillers due to an operation on his hip 

I'm from Melbourne Australia and my great est regret is missing out on getting tickets for his piano and microphone tour here earlier this year 

I haven't been on here for a long time and I'm rapt to see most of the gunners back together 

I welcome anyone who wants to debate me about Prince 

Just do your research before you do please 

Matt 

• Like 2

gunnermatt I agree with the sentiments of your post, I feel like Prince never got the credit he truly deserves even in his death

Most people know Purple Rain, Kiss, When Doves Cry, the Dave Chappele skit, etc.  But this is a dude who in a lot of played all of the instruments on a good number of the songs he wrote, he wrote an ungodly amount of songs, hand picked not only his own incredible bands but also other bands for him to write material for, danced, had an incredible singing range, and on top of that just never stopped being awesome live even up to the last show he ever did

If the term "musical genius" is applied to only a few musicians, I feel that Prince should be included in that list.  And to add to your list - Miles Davis gushed about Prince and Steven Wilson does too

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, WhazUp said:

If the term "musical genius" is applied to only a few musicians, I feel that Prince should be included in that list.

agreed. what a loss :(

On 6/6/2016 at 1:43 PM, JeanGenie said:

I cant imagine that it has been prescribed. Its so fucking strong, one of the strongest painkillers.

my cousin hurt his back in a bad accident a few years ago and he was prescribed fentanyl he OD'd on NYE 2 years ago...

3 hours ago, WhazUp said:

gunnermatt I agree with the sentiments of your post, I feel like Prince never got the credit he truly deserves even in his death

Most people know Purple Rain, Kiss, When Doves Cry, the Dave Chappele skit, etc.  But this is a dude who in a lot of played all of the instruments on a good number of the songs he wrote, he wrote an ungodly amount of songs, hand picked not only his own incredible bands but also other bands for him to write material for, danced, had an incredible singing range, and on top of that just never stopped being awesome live even up to the last show he ever did

If the term "musical genius" is applied to only a few musicians, I feel that Prince should be included in that list.  And to add to your list - Miles Davis gushed about Prince and Steven Wilson does too

Couldn't agree more as a music lover the songs you mentioned above were just a just a drop in Princes vast ocean of work

Well said Whazup

• 2 weeks later...
On 15.12.2016 at 4:46 PM, gunnermatt2004 said:

Prince was all of Hendrix Lennon Presley Brown Jackson all rolled into 1 and for the people that say he's not go listen to his catalogue from start to finish then come back to the table

Woah there. Not to be a cunt, but I disagree. Good post, but I think you took it too far. Prince was a genius. I don't use that word often. He was one of the best ever. But he wasn't Jimi, Lennon, Elvis, and Brown all rolled into 1. Come on now. No way.

Especially not Jimi or Lennon. Wasn't as good as Jimi when it came to guitar playing, and Lennon had something else no one had. Don't mean to be annoying, as I've listened to most of Prince's catalog and it's great stuff but this is an exaggeration.

Edited by Rovim

14 hours ago, Rovim said:

Woah there. Not to be a cunt, but I disagree. Good post, but I think you took it too far. Prince was a genius. I don't use that word often. He was one of the best ever. But he wasn't Jimi, Lennon, Elvis, and Brown all rolled into 1. Come on now. No way.

Especially not Jimi or Lennon. Wasn't as good as Jimi when it came to guitar playing, and Lennon had something else no one had. Don't mean to be annoying, as I've listened to most of Prince's catalog and it's great stuff but this is an exaggeration.

He played better than Jimi IMO and he was every bit as good of a lyricist of Lennon too.

54 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

He played better than Jimi IMO and he was every bit as good of a lyricist of Lennon too.

What are your favorite Prince tunes? other than what you've already posted? genuinely interested if you can make some suggestions. Like tunes you consider the best Prince wrote lyrically or material that has his best guitar playing in your opinion.

Edited by Rovim

13 minutes ago, Rovim said:

What are your favorite Prince tunes? other than what you've already posted? genuinely interested if you can make some suggestions. Like tunes you consider the best Prince wrote lyrically or material that has his best guitar playing in your opinion.

For gutiar maybe look into something like Fury, The Ride, his solo on While My Guitar Gently Weeps, the entire Lotusflow3r album, or just go to YouTube and search "Prince guitar" or whatever. Sorry to be so vague but it's one of those things where there's just so much out there that I don't know where to begin. Someone asked me for Elvis live video suggestions last night and I said the same thing; there's just too much out there for me to even know where to begin. Those Prince suggestions are the best I can do though. 

As far as lyrics go.............hmm...........maybe I can think of some stuff quickly; Sometimes It Snows In April, America, Free, Paisley Park, 7, Raspeberry Beret, I Love U But I Don't Trust U Anymore, The Beautiful Ones, Money Don't Matter 2nite, Mountains..............so many, but there's some examples.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, RussTCB said:

On 31/12/2016 at 10:38 AM, Rovim said:

The point I'm making is Prince was a combination of all artists 

In other words he brought a bit of everything to the table 

Next level talent 

Peerless