What direction do you want Guns to take (if they do new music?)

18 hours ago, HeartbreakerWoman said:

This lineup, is in my opinion, a powerhouse, and I think it'd be a waste if they passed up the chance they have to make at least 1, 2 new songs if not a full album...
That said, if they were to make new music, what's the kind of stuff you want to here?
I'd like to hear some fusion of Slash's solo work with Axl's more experimental direction at least on one song. Something akin to Led Zeppelin's Caroselambra...A meeting in the middle. I'd love to hear another 10 minute progressive-esque song in the vein of Coma or Locomotive. I mean a slim 4 minute rock song is cool too, but I want something of higher artistic value than that myself...Which I feel they're more than capable of even now.

Something similar to UYIs, I suppose, although more guitar-drivena and fewer piano-driven songs. At least leave the sound of CD. You have to play to this lineup strengths. With both Slash and Richard on board I think they can play lots of different types of music, but I would prefer a more cohesive record than UYI and CD. Something akin to AFD in cohesiveness but more modern where Richard can provide a break from Slash's more limited playing.

6 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Something similar to UYIs, I suppose, although more guitar-drivena and fewer piano-driven songs. At least leave the sound of CD. You have to play to this lineup strengths. With both Slash and Richard on board I think they can play lots of different types of music, but I would prefer a more cohesive record than UYI and CD. Something akin to AFD in cohesiveness but more modern where Richard can provide a break from Slash's more limited playing.

You always sound so Germanic, even when discussing Gunsy and Rosey haha.

Not sure what to expect really.  I have always been a "if they reunite, I don't care if they make new music, I just want to see them live" kinda guy, but just seeing youtube video of them playing together has me excited for any possible future of GNR.  If they were to enter the studio, I guess they'd probably do a "return to form" sort of thing, maybe pick up where they left off in the mid-90's while also compromising with each other as far as direction.  I can't imagine them taking on a project as ambitious as UYI or CD, not for a first comeback record, which this certainly would be viewed as.

Edited by sweetness

2 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Slash's more limited playing.

It's not limited. Limited my ass. In Guns he is the one lead guitar player that brings the best musical options. Even technically he's not that limited. Fortus is limited as fuck with all his chops compared to Slash.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Rovim said:

It's not limited. Limited my ass. In Guns he is the one lead guitar player that brings the best musical options. Even technically he's not that limited. Fortus is limited as fuck with all his chops compared to Slash.

No shit.. Up until thus tour, Slash had been playing the best guitar of his life... Mind blowing guitar.. This band is not allowing him to be himself.. It almost has a VR type of feel when Scott didn't want the band to sound like Gn'R so Slash wasn't being himself. Slash is a fucking beast and he shines when he isn't splitting solo time with another guitarist. Between that and the tempos it is obvious he is having a hard time finding his groove.. 

19 hours ago, RONIN said:

You're in the minority here bro. Chinese democracy was cutting edge and I want more of it. More industrial with Dave grohl sounding drums and pearl jam/grunge style rock. This will make guns sound hip and current. Afd and UYI are soooo dated.

What they need to do is bring Bumblefoot back into the band. I love hearing him shred on Patience, Don't Cry, and Catcher in the Rye. We need three guitarists. So much emotion in his playing. I wouldn't mind a third keyboard player to lay down some more industrial/techno soundscapes. 

:lol:

I'm sure they're going to be praised by the whole scene if they deliver a southern rock n blues oriented album, no bullshit, no effects, no drama, maybe a balad and thats it. 
I could undertan
But I doubt it, we'll probably end up with no new songs at all. 

Edited by default_

I'll take Slash's limited skills over Richard's lack of ability to come up with one single memorable riff or solo in his lifetime. I don't trust in Richard's abilities at all! He's good on stage and his shredding seems to impress some kids around here but guitar music is so much more than speed... and that's all Richard has got, unfortunately.

A new album should be 6 rockers, 3 rocking epics like Locomotive, Coma, etc and 3 epic ballads. I agree that the production should be more 'organic' and Axl shouldn't step in the mixing room, leave it to professionals. Shut up and sing, Mr. Rose :)

There must be tons of great ideas from Axl's unreleased solo albums. Slash and Duff could have some fun with them. Then they could release it for free as a gift for one of the most loyall fanbases rock has ever seen. They're making millions already with the shows already...

Unfortunately, new music doesn't seem to be their focus. But with GNR, we simply can not rule out anything.

• Like 1

Every guitarist on earth has limited skills, value of guitar playing is not based on range, otherwise guitar tutors would be the greatest players on earth...but they're not.  The value of guitar playing is based on a persons ability to evoke emotion through their playing.

• Like 3

No techno/industrial shit. No depressing 'please love me' ballads. No Fortus solos. 

A hard n' heavy rock n' roll album with angry lyrics concerning the state of the world/society. I'm not expecting Black Sabbath, but lyrics along the lines of 'Out ta get me', 'Jungle', 'Don't Damn Me', 'Coma', 'Double talkin' Jive', 'Mr Brownstone', 'Back off bitch', 'Bad apples', 'One in a million', 'Used to love her', 'Perfect Crime', 'RNDTH', 'Dust N' Bones' etc. 

• Like 2

Gimme some UYI type of songs in a raw AFD style. I need some rockers. Great rockers like Nightrain, Locomotive, some blues based rockers like 14 Years, Civil War, some damn epic ballads. Gimme a stonesy number like You're Crazy (Lies) and a really heavy one like Nothing To Say or Beneath The Savage Sun with Axl, Duff and Izzy in the making. Gimme something were Axl and Slash can shine instrumentally on piano and guitar.

Fuck overdubs, gimme the cowbell.

Gimme this and I'm happy.

• Like 1

I dont want another straight up rock n roll album like AFD, because I can guarantee you everyone would say it's good, but it's not AFD. I'd like 5-6 hard and heavy rockers like Locomotive or Better (minus the industrial bollocks and more like black sabbath), a couple of acoustic numbers likes UTLH and You're crazy and maybe one piano song, at most. That's what I'd like to here. Keep it short, 8-10 songs. But quite frankly, I'd take any new music from this band whatsoever, as I don't expect it at all. I'd give anything to here an album from this lineup as I believe it is an absolute powerhouse. I'd love to see Richard and Frank shine on a new album, (albeit little or no solos from Richard), just to solidify them as actual credible members of GNR. But really, it's all about hearing Axl roar on an album with Slash ejaculating blues drenched rock all over it. That's where it's at.

I'd like to see them do more stuff with a groove, stuff like Brownstone, get away from all that clunky shit, distance themselves from the metal type aspects and just concentrate on proper rock n roll, mix it up a bit, throw in a few accoustic songs, some country-fied shit in there like Used to Love Her.  If one thing ever annoyed me about GnR is that they never seemed to play to their strengths.  I got no problem with experimentation or what have you but like...once you've explored your strengths first, y'know what i mean?  Also, this concerted effort to make epics kinda fucks them up a bit i think.  They always seem very unorganic.  It seems like Axl kinda sits down and has a deliberate idea for something grand, beginning with him at a piano.  The songs don't come off that well and eventually seem a bit tacked together, like Madagascar, seems really like...a semi-good idea over elaborated on.  I mean if one just sort of comes about naturally, sort like Day in the Life did for The Beatles then all well and good but like...the idea, the qualities of the initial idea have got to call for it, if that makes sense.  Like November Rain calls for it, that song, in it's bare idea form was just screaming to be balladized.  But things like Madagascar, or even The Blues, hmmm, not so sure about, they seem like really good ideas for a normal song that were kinda fucked up by over-elaborating. 

The trick is to make music people can dance to, not music a bunch of greasy metallers wanna stick satan hand signs in the air to.  Maybe some more punky stuff too, they actually do a reasonable job with stuff like Garden of Eden. 

Problem with GnR is that, by and large, the members have shit taste in music.  As opposed to a band like The Stones who have amazing taste in music, results in sort of souley type rock and bluesy stuff and, it just comes together a lot better.  GnR were kinda like the next great rock n roll band and it seems like the members were less into grassroots rock n roll and more into like, Metal and Punk.  Axl has the worst fuckin' taste in music.  Fuckin' Queen and Nazareth and Elton John and all that.  Being influenced by all that shit is not gonna result in good music in 2016.

Edited by Len B'stard