Has Axl proven that he still got it?

For the past 3 years (as long as i am on this forum) there have been many discussions and critical statements about axl and his vocals and lack of passion and what not. We all were wondering the past few months how will axl be will he nail it wil he still be full Mickey, can he do it? 

Now i want to ask  the members on this board Who have been here in those years as well, can we say yes Axl still has what it takes, he took away all the doubts we had, he is killing it!? Or do we You still say nah its not it? I'm wondering! 

The effort is 100% there! The voice is excellent, there are some spots here and there he could improve on, he gets stuck on his mid voice a lot and you hear that high falsetto that has nothing in it, that one causes trouble especially going into the next line bc it's almost like the first few letters  of the next line is silent...he only does this on YCBM RQ SCOM NR beginning of TIL second half of Estranged. They all seem more like a vocal choice now though, he could likely get more rasp into these songs but chooses not.

the last 5 years we questioned if he could sing a certain way and now the only question is will he. 

• Like 1

Personally, I'm perplexed where this voice is coming from. After so many years of inconsistent 'M'eh' performances  - he's come out this tour like a man possessed at times.

Some of his performances of Jungle and Nighttain are literally at a pre '93 level. Even PC is enjoyable again

Almost everyone i know (that´s not a die hard gnr fan) Have said NO NO NO to this reunion thing just because they heard (prob from rio 2011) that Axl can´t take a single note these days... Now they are pretty quiet and surprised.. ( I´m VERY pleased though:D )

Edited by estranged_85
  • Like 1

YES!   And they still have "it".   I fucking love it too!  

11 minutes ago, LA_0013 said:

Personally, I'm perplexed where this voice is coming from. After so many years of inconsistent 'M'eh' performances  - he's come out this tour like a man possessed at times.

Some of his performances of Jungle and Nighttain are literally at a pre '93 level. Even PC is enjoyable again

He has his band back (Slash n Duff) as opposed to....(I'll leave that alone).  Axl finally cares again.  

10 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I think most people that were paying attention over the last 5 years knew that when Axl actually gave a fuck, he sounded good. 2011-14 was, for the most part, Axl on auto-pilot. Slash and Duff being members of the band seems like it's given him a passion to perform the songs again.

Absolutely

12 minutes ago, TheSeeker said:

Don't you all feel cheated though for paying to see shows between 2011 and 2014 when Axl was purposefully half-assing it, though?

Nah, I still enjoyed the shows I went to. The 2011 shows I saw featured Duff and the '12 shows Izzy, and the 2 shows in 2014 were great (I still think TWAT from 6/6/14 is the best performance of the song), but I also still think Axl pushed it for those shows as sort of a farewell to Bumble.

The thing is, we can tell he's trying 100% now. He still has his Mickey moments but I consider that more of an aging issue, as he seems as if he is legitimately trying and putting power into even his clean voice. He's been fantastic on songs he was rarely raspy on 11-14, like Nightrain, Paradise City, LALD, and My Michelle (which his live performances of recently sound straight off of appetite)

However, he's still pretty meh on Estranged, YCBM, and SCOM. But who knows, maybe as the tour goes on that will improve. It's nice to see Axl really pushing for this and adding different songs to the setlist like Coma, Don't Cry, TWAT, Yesterdays, DTJ...nice to see our hero kicking it once again at his age :)

1 hour ago, TheSeeker said:

Don't you all feel cheated though for paying to see shows between 2011 and 2014 when Axl was purposefully half-assing it, though?

I don't think he was. I think his voice was genuinely shot and he was doing his best. In 2006 when he sounded great, he'd had a break for a while to rest his voice. Same situation in 2010 and now; he's been off the road since 2014.

At the two shows I saw during that era -- one in 2012 and the other in 2011 -- he was still running all over the stage, trying to connect with the audience and the guys in the band, and really engaging the crowd. And the audience was with him. They were not unenthusiastic at all.

Now, when I saw YouTube clips of those shows later, I cringed because his voice was really, really not its best...but in person, it was a very different experience and he did bring it, IMHO. I didn't walk away from those shows thinking, "ugh, I didn't have fun at all."

There were plenty of times during both AfD and UYI tours where Axl's voice was off. He's had issues with it since the 80s. At one point during the AfD tour his voice was so shot that IIRC they had to leave a tour, and he there was a published report that he had nodules on his vocal cords. When the body is one's instrument, it can and does get tired and break down from time to time, especially with the sort of singing he does and with the fact that he's sung since he was a kid. If you listen to a lot of singers in their 40s and 50s their voices have changed for the worse. And i know the automatic response from the peanut gallery will be "but Singer X doesn't have these issues..." but everyone's different.

4 hours ago, LA_0013 said:

agreed jungle is at a 88 level or better

Actually rehearsing with the band (isn't that actually happening now?) is probably a large factor in this, no doubt having Slash and Duff back has raised the bar for him again too.

He's not what he used to be, but it's like Axl is actually trying again.

Great to see and hear.

Guns N Fuckin Roses!

The problem with this idea of still having it is that it presupposes that he needs to be where he was at in his early 20s or early 30s to have a worthy talent, he's 30 or so years older than his early 20s and he sounds like it but there's nothing wrong with that and doesn't mean that it can't result in a good rock n roll show. 

He is not nailing anything.PERIOD.  He is singing a little bit better than 2011-2014.But when i read people saying that its close to 2010 or 2006 i think this is like a CULT.

He is singing like Mickey mouse 70% of the show.And that voice is not his Trademark voice.You can love it or not,im the one that dont like Civil war or You  could be mine sung like that,for me sounds like an amateur guy doing a version.

• Like 1