Has Axl proven that he still got it?

Not yet, it is too early to tell.

Axl has had high and lows in his career.  This last decade has been 100% low, with the exception of 2006-2007 and 2010.  Still, those good years do not make up for 2001-2002, 2011-2014.  Vocally speaking, of course.

All I can say is this:  He's going in the right direction.  There's a fire in him that I have not witnessed in years.  He's not phoning it in, he's killing it!  But you never know if you have seen it all.  I hope for that consistency to stay.  I'm glad they're bringing more UYI songs to the set, it will be great to hear his take on them after all these years.

Some people think he's singing better because he's sitting, I don't think that's the case.  I can't wait to see him running around and murdering those vocals like he knows how to.  He's got Slash and Duff by his side now, and they are making things easier for him.

So far, Axl has been doing things right.  I thought that was not possible, so I'm very surprised and I'm glad he's finally getting the respect he deserves as a frontman.

He is getting there, not 100% but I'm actually pleased with what I'm listening from these past gigs. 
Now I just wanna know what is going to happen when he get off the chair and starts running around... And if the motivation will be there on the tour. You know, he can always be interested just to sell the tour out and then get back to his old mickey self. 

I hope not. 

Edited by default_

Eveyone laughed at me and mocked me and said I was an idiot when a few years ago I suggested Axl was saving his voice for the "reunion" with Slash. Given how much effort has gone into all this and given how happy Axl seems and how badass he's singing, well I expect about 3 dozen apolgies now that it's obvious Axl never really gave a shit about NuGnR, was phoning it in the entire time and he was indeed saving his voice for the reunion. 

I also suggested a long time ago that CD was never gonna come out until Slash was on it and given how little Axl wanted to do with the release and it's widely assumed his hand was forced in that, I think I'm also right when I say Axl always wanted Slash on CD. 

So fuck you all! 
:hahafyou:

• Like 1

By repeatedly performing for 2-3 hours and singing very difficult songs that require a strong breathing technique, immense vocal range, and many different singing styles, Axl has consistently throughout his career, demonstrated that he is one of the most impressive vocalists in rock. This is not limited to what we are hearing now in 2016, but includes every year where he has performed. You might compare his performances in specific years, like 2012, with what he has been doing when he was on top (1986, 88, 91, 93 or whatever you prefer), and think it is not good enough -- and it might not be to you because his voice has changed over the years -- but vocally speaking it is still very impressive and beyond what most singers are capable of. So yeah, he has again proven he still got it, but that "it" continues to change.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Bono said:

Eveyone laughed at me and mocked me and said I was an idiot when a few years ago I suggested Axl was saving his voice for the "reunion" with Slash. Given how much effort has gone into all this and given how happy Axl seems and how badass he's singing, well I expect about 3 dozen apolgies now that it's obvious Axl never really gave a shit about NuGnR, was phoning it in the entire time and he was indeed saving his voice for the reunion. 

I also suggested a long time ago that CD was never gonna come out until Slash was on it and given how little Axl wanted to do with the release and it's widely assumed his hand was forced in that, I think I'm also right when I say Axl always wanted Slash on CD. 

So fuck you all! 
:hahafyou:

Why are you immature? saved his voice for Slash? no. 2010 was great vocally. 2006 was great as well. He never lost his voice imo. Just didn't want to damage it and/or was insecure perhaps or did not give a fuck. But he did give a fuck in 2010 and 2006 and Slash was not there.

Edited by Rovim

Come to think of it, Axl probably chose shitty clothes to wear to look comparably cooler if he ever were to reunite with Slash. This also throws new light on the hiring of Dj, it wasn't a regretful mistake but an intentional strategic decision to ruin the nuGuns shows further so that Slash would shine the brigther if he ever were to return! Hahaha!!

He seems to be putting in more effort, which is what people respond to even if his voice isn't at its best.

The last few years of nuGNR were just sad. Not sure what was up with him during stuff like Bridge School. He really seemed like such a washed up mess, which is partly why it was such a surprise when Slash returned tbh.

He seems more energised now. His voice so far has been good, but then I'm not one who cares about the rasp. As long as it's not too mickey, w/e. Not sure what will happen when he starts running around though.

10 hours ago, TheSeeker said:

Don't you all feel cheated though for paying to see shows between 2011 and 2014 when Axl was purposefully half-assing it, though?

This bull about him purposefully half assing it. For one, I think he performed some great shows in the period of 2011-14 it wasn't all bad... Few and far obviously but there were a few that he sang well at and he was obviously enjoying the hell out if it.

If he was singing badly, I highly doubt it was a conscious decision "I don't care I'm going to sing like shit and get shit reviews, and destroy my singing reputation" sounds a little far fetched!

if he could have gave it anymore he would have.

There were gigs in 2012 of an equal standard to now: the difference here is that Axl has been consistent show after show! While he used to have a good night and then a couple of mediocre nights and follow that pattern throughout the tour.

He sounds good, that's all that matters.

• Like 2

I've never understood the theories that claim that the only reason why Axl sometimes sounds bad is because he's saving his voice. That just makes no sense to me. Why would he have been saving his voice when he got the Lifetime Achievement award? Wasn't that the kind of a show where you want to sound good? Instead he sounded shitty. And honestly it looked like he was really trying to sing with rasp, but he just couldn't do it. If he could just decide when he sounds good and when he doesn't, wouldn't it make sense that he would sound good on every important occasion and sound worse on some of the less important shows. Instead he sounded great on every single show in 2010 and he sounded shitty on every single show in early 2014.

I believe that Axl had had lost his motivation and was kinda depressed in early 2014. That's why he simply couldn't rehearse even if he would have wanted to. Then something happened after the Lifetime Achievement Awards and he got his motivation back. I believe it had something to do with the reunion. So when he got his motivation back, it was easy for him to rehearse again and that's why he started sounding much better. Everyone who's seen those 2014 Vegas shows, knows that Axl was a totally different man compared to early 2014.

• Like 2

bridge stone wasnt all that bad it was bad at some points yea the disaster video just puts all the bad spots and puts it all in one video. im sure you could put all the low points in any concert and make it sound worse than it really was 

On stage, he fucking brings it, sitting in a chair!

So that's about 50% showing he's still got it. The other 50% is what comes out of the studio, lyrically and vocally. :)

But I'm delighted as of now and I've yet to actually experience it live. July 23rd, come at me bro!

1 hour ago, Rovim said:

Why are you immature? saved his voice for Slash? no. 2010 was great vocally. 2006 was great as well. He never lost his voice imo. Just didn't want to damage it and/or was insecure perhaps or did not give a fuck. But he did give a fuck in 2010 and 2006 and Slash was not there.

No man, it's pretty obvious that Axl never cared about his NuGnR the way he cares about this GnR now. Look around. His performance in a  fucking chair shows that. He never wanted anything to do with the release of the album, he mickey moused his way through all of 2002. 2006 was a tour under the promise(lie) of an album release so he kind brought it then as maybe he was slightly motivated. 2010 was a shadow of what we're getting now. 2014 was Mickey mouse all over and a singer who was clearly going through the motions. If you can't tell that Ax's heart is more into this than it has been the last 15 years then you haven't paid much attention. Why am I immature? Why are you so serious? Get a  grip. the little emoticon with fingers in the air shows I'm just joking around.  :rolleyes: 

Fact: Axl looks(his demeanor) and  sounds more motivated now than he has at any point since 1993. 

Edited by Bono

1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

You thought that Axl for years was intentionally not singing at his best and saving his voice for the eventuality that he would some day reunite with Slash? Hahaha!

Holy fuck some of you dumbasses take shit so damn literally. I seriously wonder how you make it through your day to day lives. It's pretty damn obvious that Axl can sing with rasp when he's otivated to do so. Look at 2002 he choose to sing that entire tour with Mickey Mouse style vocals.  Axl is singing  Coma right now, a song none of us would have ever thought he coudl possibly do before this tour but apparently Axl knows he could and can. He also went for the AC/DC gig which is something all of us questioned how the fuck he'd be able to pull that off, yet here we are seeing him sing a lot of the songs with full rasp. He chooses when he wants to do it. Axl is clearly a guy who chooses when to perform and when to phone it in. A motivated Axl is a much different Axl and aside from 2006 he's looked anything but motivated the last 15 years. But I guess people like you just prefer to ignore the reality of that. Whether he was saving his voice or not it's pretty obvious he's way more into this, even sitting in a  fucking chair, than he has been at any point since 1993. An unotivated Axl is NOT going to perform to the levels he can. Something we've all witness. Deny it all you want.

1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

Forgetting the lyrics at Bridge School, fuck me, that was a stroke of genius!

This right here. Classic case of you being too stupid to comprehend what is actually being said. day to day life must be a real struggle for you. 

Edited by Bono

5 minutes ago, Bono said:

Holy fuck some of you dumbasses take shit so damn literally. I seriously wonder how you make it through your day to day lives. It's pretty damn obvious that Axl can sing with rasp when he chooses to.

But you weren't merely saying he was saving his voice (I think all experienced singers on tour saves their voices to some degree, to be able to finish the tour in style or prevent permanent damage), but that he did it not to preserve it for the rest of the tour, but for the possibility of one day reuniting with Slash. Hahahahah :D 

• Like 1