04/23/2016 - Coachella

RussTCB

10 hours ago, jthunders13 said:

Watch the UYI tour. Tons of rasp. Lots of cancelled shows. Watch Indiana 1991, half way through his voice is gone. He is saving his voice...some rasp...some falsetto...get over it.

Exactly. Besides, Axl used to sing with a cleaner voice before the UYI era anyway... Axl's attempt on Out Ta Get Me at Coachella weekend 2 sounded very similar to the Ritz in '88...

Axl has been singing the best he has in the past 6 years. I can't believe people have the audacity to complain.

Edited by Live Like a Suicide
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, IncitingChaos said:

I hate how he sings November Rain now, it's like he's trying to sing soft enough to hear the instrumentals behind him, like if he sang too loud he would get lost on the song. It's just too soft of a voice when I feel  his deeper louder range suits him more now. 

But when he tries singing it louder these days he often resorts to a really nasal voice, which makes it sound like he's not taking it seriously. So if he can't go for the deeper voice, I'd rather have the soft voice like from last night's performance.

33 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

This I Love 

Beautiful. Axl and Slash killed it. Guy recording it made the same mistake I did at my first few Guns shows of accidentally covering the mike with one's hand at times but apart from that great job.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Kenan said:

Axl absolutely killed Nightrain..full rasp from the begining to end. It just shows he CAN do it but, for obvious reasons of not being as young as before and with tour ahead, he has to (google: common sense) keep his voice, so hence, the occasional falsetto singing.

People who complain these days, with a reunion at full swing, will never be happy. I'm sure they would find something new to complain about even with Steven and Izzy/Matt aboard. Instead of enjoying the moment, they are over-analyzing it and depraving themselves an opportunity to enjoy the rock history in the making..

Things will get really fun this summer when Axl is on two feet and running around the stage, standing next to Slash, and showing some of that vocal strength he's already demonstrated so far. If we could take 2006 or 2010 Axl at his best then that would be great but we got 54 year old Axl and he's still kicking ass. Nothing to be overly mad about on this short run so far, Axl is 5-10 years younger than Plant when he reunited with Led Zeppelin so we are quite fortunate to get these guys back together at such a young age...I get that they are in their 50's but as far as reunions and stuff go they have the potential to still display what made them great, so I hope nobody is lowering their expectations for this band...remember these guys aren't Rolling Stones old, they can still be in prime form on the stage. 

33 minutes ago, thunderram said:

That's the worst thing about this forum. The forum is great for getting info and sharing excitement over the band and tours, but the over the top critiquing is beyond ridiculous. These people act as if they go to work and do their job flawlessly day in and day out without variation.

Furthermore, the core members of the current band created or had a major hand in creating these songs. I find it extremely laughable when overly critical fans claim that they are performing the songs wrong. It's their expression. However it happens to come out is how it is supposed to be. The recorded versions are merely a snapshot of their artistic creation and not the only way the song is meant or supposed to be performed. Take "You're Crazy" for example. They happened to record 2 different versions of it, unlike most songs, so you can clearly see that are different ways to express the same idea. Same goes for the ALT version of Don't Cry which has different lyrics. In most instances, there's only one benchmark recording. However the beauty of touring and playing LIVE is that the artist can alter the way they choose to express themselves / perform their art ----similarly to the alternate recordings mentioned above. When they do that, they haven't performed it wrong. They simply gave you a slightly different way of expressing it.

?????????

• Like 1

3 hours ago, xBrownstonex said:

Growing Up Guns: A Second-Generation Fan Describes Her First Guns N' Roses Show

http://www.laweekly.com/music/growing-up-guns-a-second-generation-fan-describes-her-first-guns-n-roses-show-6859308

Good read. However, I think the writer might have one part of the story a bit mixed up. It confuses me, at least.

She claims that her parents didn't arrive in time to catch GN'R in a 1992 show at the Coliseum, but did manage to see Metallica. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm fairly certain that GN'R closed all of those shows with Metallica. They never went on first.

Even if there were a few instances when they did, she later mentions driving north to the " Winchester Mystery House" -- which is in Northern CA -- so I naturally assume she was referring to the show at the Oakland Coliseum in September 1992. I attended that show and know for certain that Metallica went on first (and after Body Count). So I'm not sure how they could have missed Guns unless they left early rather than arriving too late.

Not a big deal with regard to the point of her story, but something trivial I noticed since I went to that show.

• Like 1