Richard has been in GNR for 16 years quote

9 minutes ago, madison said:

It's a hopeless cause, Padme. There are certain people who prefer to play word semantics in a desperate attempt to defend this mishmash lineup - when, in reality, we all know 99.9% of fans want to see all of the original members onstage together again - especially when all are still alive, healthy and want to be part of the reunion.

What "99.9 % wants" (or whatever hyperbolic number you choose to use) is irrelevant to what it is.

And I am not defending this lineup. I am defending Axl's right to praise Richard for his dedication to Guns N' Roses and for remaining loyal to the band over so many years. In fact, I am not in favor of this hybrid lineup, I was always against Slash and Duff coming back to the band.

Besides, I have also numerous times stated that I would have liked Steven and Izzy to come back for a show or a song or two, just to get this nostalgia nonsense over with once and for all.

10 minutes ago, Black Sabbath said:

That's what he's saying. He's not disagreeing with that. Read his quote again.

He is desagreening when someone says that this tour is promoted like an Axl, Slash and Duff reunion and he asked "where"? From day one everywhere the promotion is focused on Axl, Slash and Duff reunion or regorouping

2 minutes ago, madison said:

Oh please. If Matt didn't play a key role in the band's success, he would never have been inducted into the Rock Hall of Fame as a band member. 

You don't think he was inducted because he was the drummer in the band during its most popular era? Or do you think that every band member inducted played key roles in the bands they were parts of? ;)

14 minutes ago, NicoRourke said:

I'm happy Richard n' Frank are in the band, since I've been following GN'R since '92. I now have a band encompassing all eras and sounding great.

A lot of you 'fans' are suddenly emmerging from God knows where and are disrespectful to the guys in the band, just because X or Y isn't there. I get it that we all have preferences, but there's a way of saying things. Some of you in this thread and others are just there to spill shit. And act like you know the reasons why we have what we have today. 

You don't.

I agree. Why can't we be happy that Axl, Duff and Slash are back together? Who would have thought that would happen years ago? Be grateful for what we've got 'cos you don't know how long we will have it, they may call it quits, one may be taken ill or worse. I'd rather have what we have today than be feeling how Bowie and Prince fans feel at the moment, I remember that feeling when Freddie died. At least our guys are still here and touring.

Edited by axlsend
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, Padme said:

He is desagreening when someone says that this tour is promoted like an Axl, Slash and Duff reunion and he asked "where"? From day one everywhere the promotion is focused on Axl, Slash and Duff reunion or regorouping

No, he's disagreeing that the tour is promoted as a full band reunion, or just a "reunion" in general.

image.jpeg

51 minutes ago, madison said:
7 minutes ago, Black Sabbath said:

What's your point? You asked why it was called what it was called. I don't get the point you're trying to make.

The point is, he said "not in this lifetime" to a reunion. The tour is called "not in this lifetime". It's an obvious play on the fact that this is (somewhat) a reunion. Similar to The Eagles "Hell Freezes Over". Do some of you honestly believe that Axl is so far gone that he doesn't realize that he reunited the band? Is he contributing the larger crowds and bigger venues to Chinese Democracy just being a slow grower?

Edited by Gun Shy Assassin

4 minutes ago, madison said:

But if you want to play word semantics and claim "anyone" could have filled in and kept the band on top in the AFD/Illusions era - then how come Axl's "replacements" weren't able to continue that winning streak?  There's a reason that the AFD and Illusions lineup sold out stadiums - and Axl's replacement band was booking weddings, bowling alleys and small arenas. 

You are mixing up the importance of a drummer when the band around him writes killer material and the importance of a whole lineup when the band leader won't allow them to release music. Apples and oranges.

11 minutes ago, madison said:

There are certain people who prefer to play word semantics in a desperate attempt to defend this mishmash lineup - when, in reality, we all know 99.9% of fans want to see all of the original members onstage together again

Extreme exaggeration and overgrouping. Some fans may like the illusion line up, the NuGuns, and the current lineup. Very false that 99.9% of fans would only want the original 5.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Padme said:

He is desagreening when someone says that this tour is promoted like an Axl, Slash and Duff reunion and he asked "where"?

No, I am disagreing with Madison's statement that this is promoted as a "full lineup reunion" (or however she phrased it).

4 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

What "99.9 % wants" (or whatever hyperbolic number you choose to use) is irrelevant to what it is.

And I am not defending this lineup. I am defending Axl's right to praise Richard for his dedication to Guns N' Roses and for remaining loyal to the band over so many years. In fact, I am not in favor of this hybrid lineup, I was always against Slash and Duff coming back to the band.

Besides, I have also numerous times stated that I would have liked Steven and Izzy to come back for a show or a song or two, just to get this nostalgia nonsense over with once and for all.

Again what Guns n' Roses? The one that played Vegas shows 14 times in a row? The one that played wedding at one point? The one that obscurely played entire AFD at 2001 shows? That's not Guns n' Roses,sorry to break it down to you like that.

3 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

You don't think he was inducted because he was the drummer in the band during its most popular era? Or do you think that every band member inducted played key roles in the bands they were parts of? ;)

I know for a fact that the Rock Hall of Fame committee scrutinized very carefully which members would be inducted and which wouldn't - based on their contributions to the band's success. For the record - there were others that certain people tried to get inducted as part of the band and were rejected. 

14 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

They are definitely promoting the fact that Slash and Duff is back in the band and that this is a nostalgia trip, but they ae NOT promoting this as a "reunion of the original lineup", as Madison claimed, and hence one cannot argue that it is wrong of Axl to praise Richard for his longevity with the band as if that downplays the advertised reunion.

I think there are two different things here: 1 is prasing and thanking Richard and fans here wanting him in the partnership and 2) The fact that this tour is promoted  as the reunion of Axl, Slash and Duff.

I don't have any problem with Axl saying kind words to Richard. However that doesn't mean he has to be part of the partnership.

The fact the tour is about Axl, Slash and Duff reunion I think it makes it clear that Richard is a hired guy. Yes, he has been in the band for 16 years. Still a hired guy. Pitman has been in the band longer than Richard and we know what happened. This hired guys can be gone any second

8 minutes ago, madison said:

Oh please. If Matt didn't play a key role in the band's success, he would never have been inducted into the Rock Hall of Fame as a band member. 

But if you want to play word semantics and claim "anyone" could have filled in and kept the band on top in the AFD/Illusions era - then how come Axl's "replacements" weren't able to continue that winning streak?  There's a reason that the AFD and Illusions lineup sold out stadiums - and Axl's replacement band was booking weddings, bowling alleys and small arenas. 

Why do you put so much faith in the rock hall? Politics is what gets bands into that. Only the original four members of KISS got in, for example, even though Bruce Kulick was in the band for 12 years and co-wrote hit singles that kept KISS from fading into obscurity. On that principle alone he should have been inducted and was he? Nope. They only inducted the principle four who catapulted the band to success, and it makes sense from a business point of view.

Matt deserves his place, no doubt. Nobody is questioning that. But to start saying he wrote songs is over-glorifying his contributions. He did some great drumming but those songs existed before he joined. Plain and simple.

The answer to your second question is obvious. People were saying anyone could have filled in on drums in particular, not any position. Why didn't any of Axl's other line-ups sell stadiums? Because Slash and Duff were gone. Notice how they come back and the stadiums are filling with next to no promotion? It's funny how you criticize the semantics game and yet you're doing the very thing - ignoring key words and points others have made in order to make your point.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Blake Sabbath said:

"Not in this lifetime" pertains to Slash and Axl more than the AFD lineup IMHO

That's how I took the comment from the day we saw the video. But now people are picking apart the name of the tour, so what do you do? :lol:

And Axl's "replacements" couldnt keep the band on top because it was 8 years later and the band wasn't on top anymore to begin with. I know Matt Sorum somehow wears a cape in your eyes Madison, and single-handedly saved the band and kept them on top during the Illusions era (because no one else could have), but not even Matt Sorum could have brought the band back to the top in 2001 like everyone would have wanted them to be.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, madison said:

Can you read?? I never denied he didn't play a part. He didn't make guns n roses. Proven fact. Sorry Hun 

5 minutes ago, Black Sabbath said:

That's how I took the comment from the day we saw the video. But now people are picking apart the name of the tour, so what do you do? :lol:

And Axl's "replacements" couldnt keep the band on top because it was 8 years later and the band wasn't on top anymore to begin with. I know Matt Sorum somehow wears a cape in your eyes Madison, and single-handedly saved the band and kept them on top during the Illusions era (because no one else could have), but not even Matt Sorum could have brought the band back to the top in 2001 like everyone would have wanted them to be.

All hail Matt Sorum! DC comics needs to license his likeness and turn him into a superhero. He saved Guns N' Roses, and now he can save the DC universe.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ksks12 said:

Again what Guns n' Roses? The one that played Vegas shows 14 times in a row? The one that played wedding at one point? The one that obscurely played entire AFD at 2001 shows? That's not Guns n' Roses,sorry to break it down to you like that.

No nned to be sorry for telling me that you have a problem acknowledging that era as Guns N' Roses. Many people have a trouble with that. I only find it amusing.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, madison said:

I know for a fact that the Rock Hall of Fame committee scrutinized very carefully which members would be inducted and which wouldn't - based on their contributions to the band's success. For the record - there were others that certain people tried to get inducted as part of the band and were rejected. 

They obviously decided that members who were part of the AFD and UYI lineup would be inducted, logically because those lineups were responsible for making Guns the rock and roll behemoth it became. If you have evidence suggesting that is not how the committe did it, and that they instead looked at ALL members from ALL lineups and then picked those they thought had contributed the most, then I would be happy to hear about that.

14 minutes ago, axlsend said:

I agree. Why can't we be happy that Axl, Duff and Slash are back together? Who would have thought that would happen years ago? Be grateful for what we've got 'cos you don't know how long we will have it, they may call it quits, one may be taken ill or worse. I'd rather have what we have today than be feeling how Bowie and Prince fans feel at the moment, I remember that feeling when Freddie died. At least our guys are still here and touring.

But it's the tragic deaths of people like Prince, Scott, Lemmy and Bowie that have made many of us longtime diehard GNR fans even more desperate to see the original lineup play again. Right now, we are all so grateful and fortunate that ALL members of the AFD/Illusions lineup are alive, healthy and want to be part of this lineup.  This may not be the case in a year from now - or even six months from now. You just never know.  Who would have thought a guy like Prince would suddenly die at the age of 57?  This is exactly why so many of us are pushing for the full - and real - reunion. 

1 hour ago, madison said:

Matt wrote some of the music from the Illusions era. He was inducted into the Rock Hall of Fame for his contribution in helping to make GNR the biggest band on the planet.  

So, comparing Matt and Richard is ludicrous - one was a band member, the other a hired hand. 

yet in the Live Era liner notes Axl reffered him as a hired hand. (which hurt Matt real bad)

I don't think that RNRHOF is relevant about who is a true band member or who is a hired hand. They just inducted Deep Purple , because they don't even know whom to induct or not to induct

Comparing the two of them is not a fair contest, though

I think at this point, it doesn't really matter because the original partnership dissolved in the 90's to Axl, Slash, and Duff with Axl getting the b(r)and name

It's more than clear that Axl still runs this show so therefore everybody is a hired hand by now, although he needed Slash and Duff to fill out stadiums again and Slash and Duff needed Axl and the GNR name to fill out stadiums again too

This is sad but this is the truth

Edited by Strange Broue
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Padme said:

I think there are two different things here: 1 is prasing and thanking Richard and fans here wanting him in the partnership and 2) The fact that this tour is promoted  as the reunion of Axl, Slash and Duff.

I don't have any problem with Axl saying kind words to Richard. However that doesn't mean he has to be part of the partnership.

The fact the tour is about Axl, Slash and Duff reunion I think it makes it clear that Richard is a hired guy. Yes, he has been in the band for 16 years. Still a hired guy. Pitman has been in the band longer than Richard and we know what happened. This hired guys can be gone any second

I don't really disagree with anything you say. But I disagreed with Madison's statement that this is promoted (by the band) as a full lineup reunion and that hence, as I interpreted it, it was wrong of Axl to acknowledge Richard's contributions in the NuGuns period. This is a hybrid lineup, and nowhere does the band say otherwise, and yes, the fantastic thing about this lineup is Slash and Duff being back in the band, but the lineup also now consists of some old members who deserve praise for their commitment, which is exactly what Axl did.

I really don't get all the fuss, but I guess it is the last tremors of an illusion dying. The full reunion was not to be. Either accept it or complain and nag for the rest of your lives. (Not talking about you, Padme).