Richard has been in GNR for 16 years quote

1 minute ago, Gun Shy Assassin said:

Would you describe the 2009-2014 lineup as being "creative"? IMO, It seems like exactly what we have now but much, much, less interesting.

No, I won't. It was disappointingly non-creative. Although we did get a few remixes, a leak of a new song, some Dj solos that were new. But yeah, it became more and more stale and I feared they would never release anything new. But, and the point is, that I fear even more now that we won't get to hear new music. So in the choice between evils I'd prefer a lineup without Slash and Duff.

And then I hope I am completely mistaken and that this lineup will actually prove me wrong. GN'R often proves me wrong :)

1 minute ago, SoulMonster said:

Of course everyone is motivated by money, otherwise they'd give their music away for free. But I think an artist should be creative and make new music now and then, and not just repeat playing the same music decade after decade. At some time it loses artistic merit and becomes largely motivated by monetary gains. I always wanted GN'R to head in the direction of new music, I fear -- but am not 100 % certain - that this was a step in the wrong direction. Backwards. Towards pure nostalgia.

"Cash grab" is probably not a good word when I have nothing against musicians earning money. What I object to is more the lack of creating something new. I just don't have a good word for that.

But Axl seems excited and in a good mood. Perhaps Slash and Duff will have a positive effect on him, especially with his insecurity issues or maybe it will make shit worse and he'll just tour for years without new music.

CD ll remains unreleased after 15 years of being pretty much done. That sucks, but this line up doesn't strike me as just a vessel for making money. I get the vibe everyone there really wants to be there and play and they're all seem to have fun doing it and also grabbing cash.

Slash and Duff can't be bad in Gn'R, they are original members. It's on Axl to release new music. It doesn't need to stand in the way of new music getting released.

Just now, Rovim said:

But Axl seems excited and in a good mood. Perhaps Slash and Duff will have a positive effect on him, especially with his insecurity issues or maybe it will make shit worse and he'll just tour for years without new music.

CD ll remains unreleased after 15 years of being pretty much done. That sucks, but this line up doesn't strike me as just a vessel for making money. I get the vibe everyone there really wants to be there and play and they're all seem to have fun doing it and also grabbing cash.

Slash and Duff can't be bad in Gn'R, they are original members. It's on Axl to release new music. It doesn't need to stand in the way of new music getting released.

Axl's been excited and in a good mood since 2009 :D Honestly, I see no real change in his demeanor now than in preceding years. beside, when was being happy a muse to Axl and song writing?

I get a very different vibe than you. But it's early days, let's wait and see what happens.

Oh yes, Axl is probably the reason if no new music emerges from this lineup. I am sure Slash and Duff would be willing.

2 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Axl's been excited and in a good mood since 2009 :D Honestly, I see no real change in his demeanor now than in preceding years. beside, when was being happy a muse to Axl and song writing?

I get a very different vibe than you. But it's early days, let's wait and see what happens.

Oh yes, Axl is probably the reason if no new music emerges from this lineup. I am sure Slash and Duff would be willing.

Yeah but just to be clear I mean he seems excited Slash and Duff are back in his band you know? like he's impressed with Slash's playing and he said so himself how Duff and him are friends I mean really... Axl on the scooter next to Slash and they're laughing and on stage Slash playing Chinese tracks with a keyboard player that has blue hair and is a chick (:heart:)

The vibe I'm sniffing is one with potential. Axl decides, it's on him. No one else. Everyone is older now and seem to really try not to fuck it up so who knows? perhaps they'll make him want to actually follow through with a new release.

19 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

No, I won't. It was disappointingly non-creative. Although we did get a few remixes, a leak of a new song, some Dj solos that were new. But yeah, it became more and more stale and I feared they would never release anything new. But, and the point is, that I fear even more now that we won't get to hear new music. So in the choice between evils I'd prefer a lineup without Slash and Duff.

And then I hope I am completely mistaken and that this lineup will actually prove me wrong. GN'R often proves me wrong :)

So, just to clarify, you're a GNR fan, but you prefer a GNR lineup that doesn't consist of Slash & Duff? Really?

2 minutes ago, Rovim said:

Yeah but just to be clear I mean he seems excited Slash and Duff are back in his band you know? like he's impressed with Slash's playing and he said so himself how Duff and him are friends I mean really... Axl on the scooter next to Slash and they're laughing and on stage Slash playing Chinese tracks with a keyboard player that has blue hair and is a chick (:heart:)

The vibe I'm sniffing is one with potential. Axl decides, it's on him. No one else. Everyone is older now and seem to really try not to fuck it up so who knows? perhaps they'll make him want to actually follow through with a new release.

Ah, well. I see many here interpreting pictures of Axl looking at Slash while he is playing as bordering adoration. Maybe it is? I don't know, but I fear it isn't much different from how Axl looked at Dj. [But maybe he then was just laughing.] He smiled and praised his band members before, too. But yeah, I could be wrong. But, and this is crucial, enjoying playing with them is very different from wanting to create with them, which is painfully obvious from the last lineup which he had a lot of fun with on stage...

I see a lot of potential in this, too. I just don't think there is much will to create there. BUT, I was stronger in this opinion before the first shows, and I am weaker in my position now when I have seen them play together. I hope you are all right on this and I am wrong. There is nothing I want more than a new record.

1 minute ago, Gun Shy Assassin said:

So, just to clarify, you're a GNR fan, but you prefer a GNR lineup that doesn't consist of Slash & Duff? Really?

I am not interested in live shows, only in new music. And since I believe new music is more probable with something not so closely resembling a pure nostagia thing, then yes, I would prefer a different lineup.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Ah, well. I see many here interpreting pictures of Axl looking at Slash while he is playing as bordering adoration. Maybe it is? I don't know, but I fear it isn't much different from how Axl looked at Dj. [But maybe he then was just laughing.] He smiled and praised his band members before, too. But yeah, I could be wrong. But, and this is crucial, enjoying playing with them is very different from wanting to create with them, which is painfully obvious from the last lineup which he had a lot of fun with on stage...

I see a lot of potential in this, too. I just don't think there is much will to create there. BUT, I was stronger in this opinion before the first shows, and I am weaker in my position now when I have seen them play together. I hope you are all right on this and I am wrong. There is nothing I want more than a new record.

I am not interested in live shows, only in new music. And since I believe new music is more probable with something not so closely resembling a pure nostagia thing, then yes, I would prefer a different lineup.

So you're fan of one album actually? Good to know.

57 minutes ago, Graeme said:

There are some of us...

Well there are always some..

It would appear that the user responsible for most of the bickering in this thread was a former member who's been banned several times. Sorry about that, we try to do our best to keep things like that from happening on the site, but many people find a way around it. 

• Like 1

New music would be my thing too. It's cool to see the big three, but it would be more exciting if there were new songs to be played. Had they played new songs all the way during 2009-2014, and then done this nostalgia act, I would be much happier.

I blame Axl though. He teased us with talks about having a double album full of songs with cool names. Again, where are Seven, Ides of March, The General, Atlas Shrugged, final version of Oh My God, Thyme, Zodiac?

"In my ass, that's where!" Axl might say now. Why the fuck is he hoarding all this stuff?

4 hours ago, RussTCB said:

It would appear that the user responsible for most of the bickering in this thread was a former member who's been banned several times. Sorry about that, we try to do our best to keep things like that from happening on the site, but many people find a way around it. 

Saw that one coming figured he wanted to bring back Adler. 

This thread is proof we are starved for information. Any little comment and it gets over analyzed to death. Band should just out and say" we couldn't make it work with izzy"  or "izzy to make special appearances" . Even then some won't be satisfied. 

10 hours ago, Nosaj Thing said:

Let alone the fact that their very first show was at The Troubadour and the Gn'R page stated: "back where it all began..."  What exactly began at The Troubadour if this is just a new incarnation of Axl's cover band plus Slash and Duff?  Why are they using the classic logo that defined and represented REAL Guns N' Roses (1987-1993) when it isn't a reunion tour?  Unless you're mentally challenged, I think it's pretty clear how they're selling it.

Exactly.

It amazes me that certain people prefer to ignore the Troubadour "where it all began" promotion, ignore the giant billboards littered across cities across the country, ignore the TV ads screaming "for the first time in 23 years" - and inexplicably pretend this isn't being promoted as a reunion. It's hilarious.

I also find it amusing when some claim they "prefer" seeing Frank and Richard there rather than the original guys who actually wrote and created the music.  We all know - clear as day - that when Izzy and Steven/Matt finally do show up (which they no doubt will at some point as long as they're still healthy and alive) - when that finally happens - these same people who were fawning over Fortus and Frank will be the first ones telling everybody how wonderful it is to see the original guys onstage and how great it is that they finally got rid of the replacements. :lol:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Graeme said:

Personally, I think he was completely justified. He came in with the best intentions, did a stellar job, gave of himself way above and beyond just getting paid, actually gave a shit about the fans, wanted and tried to make the band a legitimate creative entity and ultimately got let down hugely. Fuck that.

Agreed. I always liked Ron, and he genuinely liked and cared about his fans. 

He was, by far, the most fan-friendly and appreciative member of Axl's band. I didn't blame him at all for speaking out. 

I hope he is doing well. 

9 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

How could it be "kinda open" when Izzy went out and publicly stated he wouldn't be there and Richard and Frank confirmed on FB they would be in??

You might argue that it is not 100 % clear for the rest of the gigs since Izzy just said he wouldn't be there for the April gigs. But surely if Izzy and Steven are to return, don't you think the band would market this to boost sales even further? Doesn't that make sense?

When did Izzy state he "wouldn't be there?" All he said was that he hadn't been invited - yet - and this was several weeks before the shows.  And the fact that this normally private guy went out of his way to set up a Twitter account to let fans know that he hadn't been asked, left the impression that he wanted to be asked and wanted to be part of it. If he had no interest in being there, why would he leave his comfort zone to write that tweet?  

As for "making sense" - nothing this band has ever done with regard to releasing music, promotions or marketing ever "makes sense." :lol:

Most people just assumed nothing was confirmed about the lineup when Axl canceled his appearance on the Kimmel show - where he was to make the big announcement - at the 11th hour. 

8 minutes ago, madison said:

Agreed. I always liked Ron, and he genuinely liked and cared about his fans. 

He was, by far, the most fan-friendly and appreciative member of Axl's band. I didn't blame him at all for speaking out. 

I hope he is doing well. 

Hmm, I think Tommy appreciated "fans" a lot more :lol:

izzytommyanddaisydukes.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, madison said:

When did Izzy state he "wouldn't be there?" All he said was that he hadn't been invited - yet - and this was several weeks before the shows.  And the fact that this normally private guy went out of his way to set up a Twitter account to let fans know that he hadn't been asked, left the impression that he wanted to be asked and wanted to be part of it. If he had no interest in being there, why would he leave his comfort zone to write that tweet?  

As for "making sense" - nothing this band has ever done with regard to releasing music, promotions or marketing ever "makes sense." :lol:

Most people just assumed nothing was confirmed about the lineup when Axl canceled his appearance on the Kimmel show - where he was to make the big announcement - at the 11th hour. 

He did say he wasn't involved... I don't see anywhere where he said he wasn't invited... I sure hope that's not the case.  His tweets do make it seem like he wants to be involved though.  This half-assed "regrouping" is so depressing.  I almost wish they wouldn't have done it at all if they weren't gonna do it right.  They should be banned from playing any of Izzy's songs.... see how successful this "regrouping" is with no hits to play.                

izzymail.jpg

3 hours ago, madison said:

Unfortunately, your post as noted is devoid of facts.

52 minutes ago, HollyAnn said:

They should be banned from playing any of Izzy's songs.... see how successful this "regrouping" is with no hits to play.

Well, I think Welcome To The Jungle, November Rain and Sweet Child O' Mine are pretty big hits.

Don't mean to put Izzy down at all, I'm really looking forward to seeing him back in his band. I hope he'll have as much imput as he wants, he totally deserves it. Guns N' Roses wouldn't be what it is if it wasn't for Izzy :heart:

• Like 1

13 hours ago, The Glow Inc. said:

You know what you guys should do ?

You should go straight to Slash and Duff's faces and tell them  " this isn't GnR ".

Then you watch their non-reaction.

sarcastic mode on:

They would laugh and nod and say: "yeah, we know, bro" but we are all older and it doesn't matter anymore. 

/off

But i don't want to live in a fantasy world where i think that this is 1993 all over again

At the end of the day the music matters and i've liked the 7 shows so far so i'm good with GNR

Edited by Strange Broue

11 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Jesus Christ SM...

There was ZERO chance to the 2009-14 line up to come out with a new record (remember, record label already dropped back the second half of CD in 2010 probably because Slash was not on in it.... that's why Axl wanted to cancel the whole 2010 tour, but he changed his mind luckily....), if there was a chance, we would get that record by now...

Now that the 2 more prominent members back in the band, hopefully record deals can be smoothened out again and if the rumours were true, Slash already laid down a few parts and 4tus said even in 2014 that some ideas of the new songs rooted back to the Slash days, so i would say that you should choose the current line up, because there's a better chance than ever to hear new music from them! For example, Slash very easily reworked Better and played CD solos without a major problem so i would take this as a good sing.

Maybe we will only got a few songs, not a full record, but i have a gut feeling that NOW or Never for new material:headbang:

I don't think that it will be released until 2018, though.

If we consider other factors (aka. other projects, business side of the things, sudden "life gets in the ways") then time will tell

Edited by Strange Broue

6 hours ago, madison said:

Exactly.

It amazes me that certain people prefer to ignore the Troubadour "where it all began" promotion, ignore the giant billboards littered across cities across the country, ignore the TV ads screaming "for the first time in 23 years" - and inexplicably pretend this isn't being promoted as a reunion. It's hilarious.

I also find it amusing when some claim they "prefer" seeing Frank and Richard there rather than the original guys who actually wrote and created the music.  We all know - clear as day - that when Izzy and Steven/Matt finally do show up (which they no doubt will at some point as long as they're still healthy and alive) - when that finally happens - these same people who were fawning over Fortus and Frank will be the first ones telling everybody how wonderful it is to see the original guys onstage and how great it is that they finally got rid of the replacements. :lol:

How does it make you feel when Axl announces Melissa Reese as the NEW member in the band? Or when you see Slash and Frank hug after a show? 

These guys are doing a hell of a job tricking everyone into thinking this is a reunion! 

image.jpeg

• Like 1