How are we feeling about the "reunion" so far?

How are we feeling about the "reunion" so far?  

341 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, Top-Hatted One said:

its been amazing!

but 2 major gripes

2) Slash's refusal to play the TIL & Better solos that Finck spent years perfecting in the studio. I mean Slash is GN'R but can gnr musicians be a little respectful of each others work?

1)Frank

You just answered your own question. slash can do with he wants with axls lyrics, vocals and melodies as he is gnr, and their only credible, recognised lead guitar player. Slash plays the solos and intros the way he feels them, as they should have been his songs, so he'll play them whatever way he wants. Simple.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Free Bird said:

C'mon man, don't tell me you wouldn't enjoy new music...

First things first for me. For whatever reason band is lacking chemistry onstage. If they can get that figured out and maybe tweak the lineup, then should start thinking about new music.. Maybe if it was just Axl/Slash and Duff. As great as this thing has been at times, the more I watch the more this things seems patched together.. There isn't chemistry with everyone in this band.. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Top-Hatted One said:

its been amazing!

but 2 major gripes

2) Slash's refusal to play the TIL & Better solos that Finck spent years perfecting in the studio. I mean Slash is GN'R but can gnr musicians be a little respectful of each others work?

1)Frank

2- Slash dominates those songs and plays them the way they were always meant to be played.  Too bad Finck and the others butchered the non CD songs so bad when they were subbing.

1- He does mess up a lot (see 2nd sentence above) but all things considered he's fine.

• Like 1

Once the majority is pleased on a forum like this it's a real good sign for everyone else, as we're definitely the people that scrutinise the band the most.

I think it's good/satisfied, and I think as it develops it's going to become great; but there is room for improvement, and I want to see how the vocals stand up when... er!? :D Axl stands up :P.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Philipm787 said:

You just answered your own question. slash can do with he wants with axls lyrics, vocals and melodies as he is gnr, and their only credible, recognised lead guitar player. Slash plays the solos and intros the way he feels them, as they should have been his songs, so he'll play them whatever way he wants. Simple.

I think a lot of people recognise Buckethead as a ex-gnr guitarist, same goes for when DJ was in the band and to a lesser extent even Bumblefoots name was and is still thrown around. Slash is by far the most well known and loved of all the guitar player to have played with guns but there are other recognisable players in their history.

As for "they should have been his songs, so he'll play them whatever way he wants" ...he didn't write them, have a hand in their creation and he wasn't in the band at the time (because he quit) so no to the first bit. As for playing them however he wants, yes, he can do that and he is doing so; sometimes it's good, sometimes it's bad. It's just like when Finck, or Bumblefoot were changing Slash's solo's, sometimes what they did was actually good and complimented the song while still keeping the original vibe, but other times you just wanted them to follow the script and stop wanking off.

15 hours ago, Philipm787 said:

I'm sure this was the condition to slash agreeing to playing Songs from the Chinese era. And we all know axl would never throw that away so... Yeah I'm not overly thrilled with slash covering robin on til and I think dj did better but maybe it'll grow on me..

I'm glad I'm one of those who think Slash  does an excellent job on CD songs, especially on CD and TIL. Better than Finck and way way better than DJ ever will.

So reunion works for me. The only thing that's annoying are the people who are still complaining. It bores me to death.

3 hours ago, Billsfan said:

I'm sure this was the condition to slash agreeing to playing Songs from the Chinese era. And we all know axl would never throw that away so... Yeah I'm not overly thrilled with slash covering robin on til and I think dj did better but maybe it'll grow on me..

Yea it's an ego thing obviously. After all they've been through the past 25yrs or so you'd figure they wouldn't allow their egos to get in the way of anything.

Slash as nothing to prove. Playing the solos that Axl and Co spent a decade perfecting is not going to damage slash's reputation in anyway. 

I would argue that after the success of VR & The Conspirators nothing outside of a major scandal would in anyway tarnish his legacy.

Hey I don't fault him for trying to put his spin on it but the other guys, duff and Axl should be able to make suggestions and help him see the light. I doubt Slash would throw a hissy fit and quit at this stage after all they've been through. 

I watched TIL during Coachella 2 and keyed in on Axl, Richard and duffs reactions to Slash's take on the solo. Axl and Richard reacted but I'm not sure what it was about exactly 

4 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

I think a lot of people recognise Buckethead as a ex-gnr guitarist, same goes for when DJ was in the band and to a lesser extent even Bumblefoots name was and is still thrown around. Slash is by far the most well known and loved of all the guitar player to have played with guns but there are other recognisable players in their history.

As for "they should have been his songs, so he'll play them whatever way he wants" ...he didn't write them, have a hand in their creation and he wasn't in the band at the time (because he quit) so no to the first bit. As for playing them however he wants, yes, he can do that and he is doing so; sometimes it's good, sometimes it's bad. It's just like when Finck, or Bumblefoot were changing Slash's solo's, sometimes what they did was actually good and complimented the song while still keeping the original vibe, but other times you just wanted them to follow the script and stop wanking off.

Personally, I do not believe, in the general public, that ANY guitar player is guns' credible, recognised  lead guitar player, apart from Slash.

It seems to me that your putting Buckethead and Finck on the same level in guns in terms of importance in the second half of your post. Which is just crazy. Perhaps that's not how you feel, but it's how I interpreted it.

4 hours ago, Billsfan said:

Yeah I think so too. Nah personally I think Slashs TIL solo is much better, much rawer, than fincks, but of course that just my opinion. Every single reviewer of the shows has stated how nobody knows the cd songs&that they're a vibe killer. Which tells a story. Cut it down to 1 maybe 2 CD songs.

1 hour ago, Top-Hatted One said:

Yea it's an ego thing obviously. After all they've been through the past 25yrs or so you'd figure they wouldn't allow their egos to get in the way of anything.

Slash as nothing to prove. Playing the solos that Axl and Co spent a decade perfecting is not going to damage slash's reputation in anyway. 

I would argue that after the success of VR & The Conspirators nothing outside of a major scandal would in anyway tarnish his legacy.

Hey I don't fault him for trying to put his spin on it but the other guys, duff and Axl should be able to make suggestions and help him see the light. I doubt Slash would throw a hissy fit and quit at this stage after all they've been through. 

I watched TIL during Coachella 2 and keyed in on Axl, Richard and duffs reactions to Slash's take on the solo. Axl and Richard reacted but I'm not sure what it was about exactly 

The reason some posters are complaining about slashs solo is because he starts off the solo with bends on a much higher fret. He of course is playing in key, and he adds in his little Spanish pieces in the second half, it's what slash feels the song needs, and I think if the rest of the guys are happy with it, which they clearly are, who are we to complain about slashs interpretation, as I highly doubt there's a better guitarist with more feeling on this forum. Personally, I love the solo.

23 minutes ago, Philipm787 said:

Yeah I think so too. Nah personally I think Slashs TIL solo is much better, much rawer, than fincks, but of course that just my opinion. Every single reviewer of the shows has stated how nobody knows the cd songs&that they're a vibe killer. Which tells a story. Cut it down to 1 maybe 2 CD songs.

If people don't know those CD songs then they clearly haven't cared enough the past 20yrs to give their opinions any validity. There is no point in trying to please them. They won't appreciate or even notice 

Edited by Top-Hatted One

34 minutes ago, Top-Hatted One said:

If people don't know those CD songs then they clearly haven't cared enough the past 20yrs to give their opinions any validity. There is no point in trying to please them. They won't appreciate or even notice 

But the majority of folks at the show didn't know the cd songs or took a piss break when they were played.. And this is coming from someone who loves some of the tunes from cd!

Suppose the difference between Guns and other bands are they have a bunch of bonafide hits and a lot of classic tracks that people know by now almost like hits. CD doesn't really have hits but it has potentially one or two classic tracks. But you really need hits to open people up to those potential classic songs. 

That's why I'm hoping Slash and Duff can write some hits for GNR and change the closed mindedness to the attendant album. It's such a waste of life to have so much work go unnoticed because of a particular line up. 

• Like 1