Surprise album?

This is not a question of whether you believe GNR will drop a "surprise album" -- because none of us knows and we can sit around and circlejerk all night about that fact -- but more about whether it's a good idea for the band's next studip production.

For context, I believe Beyonce just dropped a "surprise album" and other more "pop" or hip hop artists have done the same -- although I am unsure of the semantics to the surprise (i.e. was there any warning? A few days to get excitement up? Or just silence to boom?)

Now, not saying Guns N' Roses should follow the same playbook as Beyonce or other artists we on the esteemed MyGNRForum deem inferior to our beloved Guns. But in the era of studio albums being more of a failed business enterprise from the start compared to 25-35 years ago, it seems the "shock value" of a surprise studio production is at least a bonus helping the band add a layer of excitement and intrigue. Shit, it's a surprise. The unexpected factor makes people double take.

Additionally, it seems the long, drawn out "promotional" activity for bands is less effective. People's attention spans have diluted and announcing six, five, or even three or two months out an album release date garners initial interest, but beyond the hardcore fans, most people place it on the back end and sometimes all-out forget about the news. We can complain about this fact all we want but it is fact and musicians and entertainers must play by the rules of the "social media generation" if they are to succeed. That's what Beyonce and Kanye do and have enabled, for better or worse.

The "boom, it's here" strategy nails the initial announcement and the album dropping in a short time window, possibly beating the short attention spans at their own game.

We have heard reports of GNR members recording new material. At the very least, we can opine about the possibilities of new material. I personally have reached a happy medium with the live performances and am ready for something fresh, to see if GNR can add to its legacy rather than coming full circle from past drama. If this lineup isn't to record anything new, then this "partial reunion/reconstruction" was truly nothing more than forming closure with the past drama and making some money while at it. That's not a bad thing -- I'm more than happy with what I experienced in Vegas -- but it leaves something on the table.

So, back to the "surprise album" idea. Is this in GNR's mold? Would you want them to do this? Would it help make the album more popular than the traditional "announce a date, promote for months, then drop the album" route?

Not really expecting it, but it would definitely be awesome. As others said, they would have to build up some buzz first. Honestly, if Axl kills it with AC/DC before the summer tour, which I think he will, maybe an ideal time to do this would be during the time between the two "tours."

Obviously, I don't expect this happen, but it would be cool and could be a possibility.

Edited by Gunner68

Suprise album or not I am hoping for a new album from them.If not the whole regrouping sort of loses a lot of its luster.Feel like they wasted so much time apart that they need to make most of this time together.

41 minutes ago, Silent Jay said:

By surprise do you mean leaks? I would like to hear CDII untouched.

No, I mean no promotion/advance warning. I mean it's June 2 and we're all looking forward to the NA tour and then June 3 at midnight a brand new 12-song album hits iTunes, Spotify, Pandora and even Netflix and whatever else there is.

I have no idea whether it'd be or not a good idea from a marketing point of view but as long as they release an album, I don't care how they do it. I just want new music by GNR! :heart:

It'd be a cool contrast with Chinese Democracy, though. From waiting for years to not waiting at all as it was never announced.

Beyonce's last two album drops have been total surprises and it generates huge publicity. I think D'angelo's was a surprise too.

It would be beyond cool to do it like that. I think especially nowadays, generating too much pre-hype only leads to discussion of disappointment and failing to meet expectations..."Was it worth the wait?" People lose track of when something actually comes out and the initial announcement hype is the greatest critical mass of buzz.

Just drop the thing and let it explode on social media. Streaming services are the primary vehicle for music for most younger people -- surprise release is the best way to monopolize promo on those services I would argue. The caveat is you have to be a big enough act for it to actually work. Keeping with Beyonce... if Kelly Rowland just dropped an album with no pre-release promo it'd prolly sink to the ocean floor. GNR is big enough though... I can just see the Spotify banner now.... mmm

Plus it's definitely in keeping with the reformation's apparent anti-media strategy, which I totally understand. 

Edited by Ant
  • Like 2

I'm not sure how I feel about them dropping a surprise album, however, I feel like it would get a lot of people hyped up if they dropped one right before the tour.

Edited by jesss

I think there's too much money, too much promise for there not to be another GN'R album featuring Slash and Duff. Maybe an EP. Which seems more likely than anything else at this early juncture.

When, it might come is anyone's guess, this year or next year. Something tells me it wouldn't be CD leftovers, even though that would be the easiest route. I feel like Slash would really gravitate toward songs they wrote from the ground up.

It makes lots of sense to me that they would be recording, because, nothing has to be released. They can just feel the material out and see if anything comes to them. If so, it will set the world on fire with fanfare, if nothing comes of it, they can just turn their backs on it with no other obligation.

I would like to hear a new album but not sure when they would have time and if they do it would probably be rushed. During the next few months Axl will be with AC/DC, Slash will probably be recording with the Conspirators, and then they hit the road for all the tour dates.

Then, they will definitely be making overseas tour dates because that is where they will really make a lot of money. Hopefully some where they have time to make some new music but I would doubt it. Hope they surprise me though.

If Axl's having fun, and just happy to be playing with Slash and Duff again, I could see them ripping out an album relatively soon.

But if Axl's mindset is how it usually is and everything has to be perfect than the only thing that has to be more perfect than his album without Slash and Duff will be the reunion album with Slash and Duff.