Is Axl the best frontman of all time?

Here's the "talking head on TV" answer: Axl is in the discussion for being one of the greatest frontmen in music history.

As for the rankings, that's all subjective. It depends what you want. Singing? Running around? Captivating and connecting with the audience? Danger and recklessness? Probably a combination of all those things, but Axl does some things better than other great frontmen and other things worse, so which is more important?

I think Freddie was the greatest. I think Plant was a close second and Axl a somewhat-distant third. But opinions and shit...

People hate Axl Rose...nobody hates another frontman more than Axl. However, there is an overwhelming number of people who truly love Axl. He's the most captivating, he has one of the top 3 voices, he has the attitude, he at one time was not very predictable. Axl embodied what defined a rockstar and he did it all the while trying to just be himself. 

He's is the most authentic and there is an argument for him being the greatest. 

People usually leave a gnr show saying man that guy is an asshole, but he was on fire tonight. People take what they read about Axl and create this villian in their head but when you see him live you view him as this rock hero. There's nobody quite like him. He can win over crowds and I think his ability will be on display again when he joins ACDC. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, TeeJay410 said:

I don't know if anyone in rock ever had as high of a peak as he had. But the fact it lasted only 6 years or so is a demerit. He's top 5. For a guy whose peak lasted only 5 years and two original albums, it's not bad at all. 

Same is true of Robert Plant, who actually blew out his voice sometime in 1970 or 1971 and was never the same in live shows after that. From an album standpoint, Zeppelin went downhill after 6 years (1969-1975 greatest band ever of course). My point here is no one holds it against Plant.

Edited by GNRfan2008

Just now, TheSeeker said:

I think even Axl would agree that Freddie was better than him

Axl would probably say all of the people that influenced him are better. That shouldn't stop other people from having a different opinion. My opinion is prime Axl topped all of them, but a guy like Freddie was way more consistent over time and deserves credit for that. Freddie was amazing for a long time. 

At his best Axl Rose was one of the best frontmen rocks ever seen. The danger of Jim Morrison, the sex appeal of Robert Plant and one of the most iconic and recognizable voices in rock history. I personally don't have a favourite frontman because i think all the greats are special in their own way, but he deserves his place in any top 10 list in my eyes. I think what is clear there hasn't been a rock star like him for 30 years and rock n roll hasn't quite been the same.

Axl was/is the last true rock star, I think. The charisma and the voice, and obviously Guns N roses  the music, mystery. The best frontman? For me, yes maybe. He is the best when hes on. You love him or hate him, ive never heard anyone saying they fucking hate Bruce Dickinson....whos propably in a lot ways "better" frontman, and I like him too. The guy has so much charisma its insane, almost close to Jack Nicholson. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Original said:

Freddie, Plant, Axl, Tyler, Mick, Dickinson.....do we include Prince, MJ, James Brown, Elvis, Joplin....et al?  What does 'frontman' mean? Axl Rose- yes he's top 5.   

If we really want to get technical on this, Prince tops them all. Literally didn't need any other band members in the studio because he was that talented. Incredible guitarist and singer/writer. Amazing stage presence and always delivered great live performances. Jimi Hendrix is another one you have to throw in there. Insanely good guitarist, very good unique voice, great songwriter, and legendary stage antics. 

7 minutes ago, GNRfan2008 said:

If we really want to get technical on this, Prince tops them all. Literally didn't need any other band members in the studio because he was that talented. Incredible guitarist and singer/writer. Amazing stage presence and always delivered great live performances. Jimi Hendrix is another one you have to throw in there. Insanely good guitarist, very good unique voice, great songwriter, and legendary stage antics. 

Yeah- I'm in MN.   Grew up here...never dug him at all.  But- I respect the fuck outta him. He could write and play it all.  So talented.  My hat is off to him.  

Is he the best, what a question!?. Do YOU think he's the best, Yes / No whatever you're answer that's what he is to YOU... everybody else will have a different opinion. Look at comment sections under gnr, you'l see a lot of people that despise him and definitely wouldn't consider him on the greatest ever list.

Is he one of the top frontmen of all time? I think so, he's certainly high on my list. Great voice, really great performer, great songwriter and overall just a facinating character If I have to choose one frontman over anyone, sorry Axl! it's gotta be Freddie.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

From 87-93 he certainly was.. Of all time? Possible but debatable.. This chapter isn't closed.. I thought it was. But it isn't...

At this point I am just glad there is no more animosity between Axl and Slash. Beyond that, I would very much like to see some new studio material. When you find yourself listening to Sebastian Bach recordings featuring Axl, you realize just how much Axl has wasted his potential over the last 20 years. But there is still some time and he has shown with these recent concerts that he could still deliver great vocals in the studio. I hope Slash and Duff can push him to get stuff released quicker. 

Edited by GNRfan2008