Is Axl the best frontman of all time?

Just now, GNRfan2008 said:

But there is still some time and he has shown with these recent concerts that he could still deliver great vocals in the studio.

He has certainly impressed me vocally. He might struggle at times but from what I have seen he continues to get better... Totally blown away by the video of Out Ta Get Me last night.

• Like 1

Just now, Tom-Ass said:

He has certainly impressed me vocally. He might struggle at times but from what I have seen he continues to get better... Totally blown away by the video of Out Ta Get Me last night.

He'll be hit or miss in live shows due to his age, but he still has some fuel in the tank and we could get a classic Axl voice in the studio from first song to last song on a new album. Give him multiple takes and so forth. He hasn't totally lost his voice, which is very good. There was a period there from 2011 through most of 2014 where it seemed he had lost it forever. 

2 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

I was blown away by that performance. I wonder if a song about going into hiding from the police because a girl accused you of rape has ever been played at Coachella before.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Silverburst80 said:

I was blown away by that performance. I wonder if a song about going into hiding from the police because a girl accused you of rape has ever been played at Coachella before.

I love that you know that. He talks about that throughout the 1987 Paradise Boston show.

1 hour ago, bigpoop said:

The best frontman ever was Diamond David Lee Roth.

Roth was certainly an excellent front man. As much as I like Hagar era Van Halen, I'll always be much more a fan of the Roth era -- same goes for Bon Scott era AC/DC.

Having said that, not many music fans today know who the hell the guy is despite the fact that he's been back in Van Halen. On the other hand, Axl is still widely known. There are many reasons for that.

Comparing the two, Roth is one of the few that could match Axl's energy on stage. But he couldn't come close in the vocal department nor was he anywhere near as controversial and dangerous. He also couldn't write and create near the same level.

But no doubt that, in his prime, Roth was certainly in the discussion.

Edited by thunderram

1 hour ago, thunderram said:

This is the only correct answer. It's just like those "best guitarist" or "best band" polls. Everyone is blinded and biased by their own personal preferences and you can't possibly quantify who is best.

If you take personal preferences out of it and simply look at things such as vocal range, uniqueness, energy, showmanship, creativity, etc. as well as how big of an icon said frontman became -- Axl certainly certainly has to be near the top of the list. He's a rare breed that captivated those that loved and hated him. The guy has put out 1 album in the past 23 years, which was done with out much visibility, yet you'd be hard pressed to find a millennial that hasn't at least heard of him.

He's extremely talented, edgy, notorious, fearless, infamous, highly combustible, and dangerous. Most of all, he doesn't care what anybody believes he should or shouldn't do. He may respond to or insult the naysayers from time to time, but he never allows anybody or anything to compromise his artistic integrity and freedom of speech. You could say the same about a few others throughout the past 60-70 years, but Axl reached a level of fame not many do.

I agree.

As a side note, one of the interesting things about Axl is that the some criteria that one person might think puts him to the top of the list would be the exact same things that someone else would use to drop him down or off their list.

• Like 1

Stupidquestion.com

Axl is, by dar, the greatest frontman of all time.  Only Mr mercury can fight that,  period.

And now that  axl will be also acdc lead frontman? Well.  If there was any doubt , being frontman of two of the greatest 5 or 6 bands in history?

No more questions Mr judge.  I rest my case

For me, he is by far the best frontman of all time. We already know he is the greatest singer of all time, from that article a couple years ago that objectively ranked the greatest singers of all time based on their vocal ranges. As far as charisma and stage presence go, nobody tops Axl, at least in his prime. I think he'll be back to his old stage presence or close to it when his foot is fully healed.

27 minutes ago, sanity_lost said:

I agree.

As a side note, one of the interesting things about Axl is that the some criteria that one person might think puts him to the top of the list would be the exact same things that someone else would use to drop him down or off their list.

Exactly, like his voice. Very polarizing. 

25 minutes ago, thunderram said:

Prove it.

You can't.

But nice try positioning your opinion as an absolute.

He can't prove his point but you can't prove him wrong either, that's why this sort of questions are kinda pointless. I think the answer would be there's no such thing as a best frontman and everyone's entitled to their own opinion.

Nothing against the thread, though. We can all throw our two cents.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rovim said:

Technically fuck no! haha!

But for me he is. Something about his personality and his voice. It's mostly the voice, truly unique and oozing with grit and emotion.

Total package in my opinion. Energy, stage presence, charisma, amazing & unique voice, etc. Videos like this you can tell he is giving 1,000% of himself to the audience. 

• Like 1