Is Axl the best frontman of all time?

Yes, he is the best frontman of all time.

In regards to some of the posts here: of course that's subjective. And of course Axl wouldn't agree and could name a few he thinks are much better than him :lol:

Nope, James Brown is the best of all time.  Out of rock bands and such, hmmm, probably Iggy Pop for sheer performance and bang for your buck, Iggy would blow Axl Rose off any stage in the world, in his prime and now.  Elvis is probably a good shout, for sheer presence and charisma.  Mick Jagger, another one whoose a bajillion times better than Axl. 

Problem with Axl is his schtick is SO routine, he never really does anything out of the ordinary onstage, in terms of his act i mean.  He's got like 4 or 5 set dances that he does and as he gets older he gets worse and worse at em.  In his prime he had a really solid voice and could really work a stage and was probably one of the best nights out in town of that era but overall he doesn't hold a candle to the aforementioned. 

definitely not on this night he got killed on his own shit

18 minutes ago, Len B'stard said:

Nope, James Brown is the best of all time.  Out of rock bands and such, hmmm, probably Iggy Pop for sheer performance and bang for your buck, Iggy would blow Axl Rose off any stage in the world, in his prime and now.  Elvis is probably a good shout, for sheer presence and charisma.  Mick Jagger, another one whoose a bajillion times better than Axl. 

Problem with Axl is his schtick is SO routine, he never really does anything out of the ordinary onstage, in terms of his act i mean.  He's got like 4 or 5 set dances that he does and as he gets older he gets worse and worse at em.  In his prime he had a really solid voice and could really work a stage and was probably one of the best nights out in town of that era but overall he doesn't hold a candle to the aforementioned. 

• Like 1

it's between freddie and Axl, imo

at his peak (example: the '88 ritz concert), Axl was at least on the level of freddie. Both have / had an incredible voice, amazing stage presence and the mystique. freddie had a longer career, a more versatile recording history than Axl, therefore at the end of the day Freddie will come out as the all time best.

for me, its Freddie / Axl, and then the rest.

imo, Jim was brilliant but even more erratic than Axl, Kurt was great songwriter but not-so-great performer, Tyler not up to those standards and i could go on.

No one mentions Elvis. (while he wasnt a real frontman). He had colonel parker messing up his entire career. but a few songs on the comeback special prove than if he wanted, elvis could outperform them all.

Edited by action

I would not say that is the best front man. If you look at the energy and passion on  stage of a Bruce Springsteen or Angus Young (who I consider to be the frontman for AC/DC), Axl is not even close.

But I do consider Axl to be the last real mega rockstar, in the same league as Freddie Mercury, Jim Morrison or Mick Jagger (when the stones were still about rock n roll) . His charisma, excentricity, erratic fits, attitude, the wildness in his younger years, the way he dresses...it does not get closer to the definition of being a rockstar. So greatest frontman no, but greatest still living rockstar.

22 minutes ago, Russel Nash said:

right now he's the best around.

But Freddie is the best of them all, dead or alive, in this universe or the other.

Oh no....come on man.  He's bound to a chair and not singing anywhere near peak level.  Trust me, I love Axl, but he's not anywhere near the top of his game at the present time and others are.

Hes in the argument for best all time simply due to how amazing he was in the late 80s/early 90s.

But best frontman around right now?  Could be when he gets out of the chair, but I don't see how you can make that claim when he's immobile.

4 minutes ago, tsinindy said:

Oh no....come on man.  He's bound to a chair and not singing anywhere near peak level.  Trust me, I love Axl, but he's not anywhere near the top of his game at the present time and others are.

Hes in the argument for best all time simply due to how amazing he was in the late 80s/early 90s.

But best frontman around right now?  Could be when he gets out of the chair, but I don't see how you can make that claim when he's immobile.

Bound to a chair and still the best around. You seem to forget every time i post that this is MY opinion.

The chair thing seems like a big problem for you, but i missed your answer, how is the best in your opinion, Adam Levine?

Edited by Russel Nash

20 minutes ago, Russel Nash said:

Bound to a chair and still the best around. You seem to forget every time i post that this is MY opinion.

The chair thing seems like a big problem for you, but i missed your answer, how is the best in your opinion, Adam Levine?

No no it's cool...I respect your right to opinion.  But first off, Mick may be generally considered a greater front man than Axl and based on seeing him last summer and Axl in Vegas, I would hold that to be true without a doubt at this point in time.

Yes the chair is an issue and in my opinion in the frame of this question it has to come into play.  

The question is...front man.  Not vocalist or singer, but frontman.  In that context, it's difficult to be the greatest at the moment in that aspect being immobilized.   Certainly, this is not Axls fault as he has an injury and I get that.

But, being immobilized in and of itself in my opinion hinders his ability to perform as a FRONTMAN to the level that others currently achieve.

Dickinson is better right now, Mick, probably Steven Tyler.  I haven't really thought about more that I've personally not seen recently, but I would imagine I could come up with more if I wanted to and started searching YouTube. Paul Stanley better currently as well now that I do think about it.

Get Axl out of the chair, up on his feet, fully mobile and then it's a possibility.  I've seen Foo Fighters 10 times over years.  Grohl better every time out of the chair as compared to being seated..and was better in the chair than Axl in the chair (granted I saw them later in the tour so he had time to adjust to the situation). But being in the chair limited his performance just like it does Axl.

That's my opinion.....and why I disagree with yours.  

Edited by tsinindy