Is Axl the best frontman of all time?

Greatest frontman ever, anyone out there a better dancer than that?  Anyone else sing better, work a crowd better?  There is literally a constant on-going scream throughout this fuckin' video, the man is mesmerising.  Couple that with the fact that, if the archetype of the 20th Century frontman is somewhere between Mick Jagger and Michael Jackson, and both those guys stole half their shit from Mr Brown, i think it becomes clear where the bigger dick is at.

Edited by Len B'stard
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, tsinindy said:

No no it's cool...I respect your right to opinion.  But first off, Mick may be generally considered a greater front man than Axl and based on seeing him last summer and Axl in Vegas, I would hold that to be true without a doubt at this point in time.

Yes the chair is an issue and in my opinion in the frame of this question it has to come into play.  

The question is...front man.  Not vocalist or singer, but frontman.  In that context, it's difficult to be the greatest at the moment in that aspect being immobilized.   Certainly, this is not Axls fault as he has an injury and I get that.

But, being immobilized in and of itself in my opinion hinders his ability to perform as a FRONTMAN to the level that others currently achieve.

Dickinson is better right now, Mick, probably Steven Tyler.  I haven't really thought about more that I've personally not seen recently, but I would imagine I could come up with more if I wanted to and started searching YouTube. Paul Stanley better currently as well now that I do think about it.

Get Axl out of the chair, up on his feet, fully mobile and then it's a possibility.  I've seen Foo Fighters 10 times over years.  Grohl better every time out of the chair as compared to being seated..and was better in the chair than Axl in the chair (granted I saw them later in the tour so he had time to adjust to the situation). But being in the chair limited his performance just like it does Axl.

That's my opinion.....and why I disagree with yours.  

Mick: too old now, still comes second right now.

Dickinson: a great pilot.

Tyler: He's great, but never even in his prime was the best at something.

Stanley: Fun.

Grhol: I like him better when he drums.

5 minutes ago, Russel Nash said:

Mick: too old now, still comes second right now.

Dickinson: a great pilot.

Tyler: He's great, but never even in his prime was the best at something.

Stanley: Fun.

Grhol: I like him better when he drums.

Fair enough...though I don't think you've seen Mick of late.  He is still at the top of his game and given his age Id actually consider bonus points for that :)

Len made a great point about James Brown too.

And this isn't directed at anyone but it is an opinionated question...but it's a question being asked in an obviously biased forum.  Go outside of this environment and Axl really does not get the credit he deserves in this area to be honest.

5 minutes ago, AslatIE said:

I dislike these questions, because there isn't any correct answer, only opinions. 

In my opinion Axl Rose is the best vocalist/frontman of all time.

I agree. I have seen a lot of frontmen in my time but no one has ever affected me like Axl has. and for me he has it all! :heart:

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, AslatIE said:

I dislike these questions, because there isn't any correct answer, only opinions. 

That's the truth. It's 100% subjective. I do agree with the poster that said Myles Kennedy has no business on the list. Statue on stage. :lol:

• Like 1

Just now, GNRfan2008 said:

That's the truth. It's 100% subjective. I do agree with the poster that said Myles Kennedy has no business on the list. Statue on stage. :lol:

Kennedy has decent stage presence in my opinion (lots o' opinions here)
I used to hate his voice, but I've grown to like it. (It was the opposite with Ashba, liked him at first, then I couldn't stand him anymore)

11 hours ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

He can't prove his point but you can't prove him wrong either, that's why this sort of questions are kinda pointless. I think the answer would be there's no such thing as a best frontman and everyone's entitled to their own opinion.

This was exactly my point and essentially what I stated in the very first reply. Furthermore, it's silly to position an opinion as absolute or fact. As said before, it's all subjective. But Axl certainly checks off enough boxes to warrant consideration.

Edited by thunderram
  • Like 1

Axl was the best from 87-93.  But, best all-time?  No.  But he is on the list of the best.  I think you have to put Freddie Mercury, Mick Jaggar, Steven Tyler, Jim Morrison, Robert Plant, all as strong candidates in the conversation.

• Like 1

I think this is one of the reasons I have Axl at the top of my list:

I still watch UYI videos because all that energy and...and...personality(?) is mesmerizing (along with the rest of the band).  I will accept him being somewhat kookier that coco-puffs during that time might be a demerit for some people (surely a frontman should be able to get on stage somewhat on time and do his actual job!) but, as I was never personally affected by it, that makes him a more interesting of a frontman to me. Axl had a lot of charisma that not many people were left unaffected. There was a lot of love or hate but not much indifference when it came to him. Even now when he hasn't been much in the public eye for years.

Edited by sanity_lost
  • Like 1

Just now, estranged_85 said:

My top candidates in no particular order: Axl Rose, Mick Jagger, Bruce Springsteen, Michael Jackson, Freddie Mercury.

Bruce Springsteen?  GTFO...not even in the same area code as the rest.  

Disclaimer:  Of course you are entitled to your opinion...as I am entitled to mine.  

Not sure I'd consider Michael Jackson a "front man" either, but that's a different story for a different day.  

4 minutes ago, tsinindy said:

Bruce Springsteen?  GTFO...not even in the same area code as the rest.  

Disclaimer:  Of course you are entitled to your opinion...as I am entitled to mine.  

Not sure I'd consider Michael Jackson a "front man" either, but that's a different story for a different day.  

I was thinking about being an entertainer,good artist,good singer, get the crowd going. And YES Bruce Springsteen are IMO one of the greatest frontman/entertainer whatever yo wanna call it.

About Michael Jackson: No maybe he was not a "frontman" but he was a great musician and entertainer who put on a good show.

Sorry if i mix up the grammar sometimes, English is not my native so..

Edited by estranged_85

22 hours ago, GNRfan2008 said:

Total package in my opinion. Energy, stage presence, charisma, amazing & unique voice, etc. Videos like this you can tell he is giving 1,000% of himself to the audience. 

Fuckin' sick. I love that Axl.

As unpopular as he may be on this forum, Scott Weiland was one of my favorite frontmen. I used to hate the guy with all my heart until I got to see VR live. I think it took him less than a minute to win me over, he was absurdly good.

I think Sebastian Bach was an amazing frontman as well back in his good old days. He had the energy of a six year old kid and would do anything to entertain the crowd (and get attention).

Love many of the previously mentionted, especially Axl, Freddie, Tyler and Plant. Myles is a wonderful singer but not that good as a frontman. He's improved a lot since he started touring with Slash, though.