07/03/16 - Chicago, IL - Solider Field

RussTCB

2 hours ago, James Bond said:

I definitely agree with you there. Had they not been so greedy (Ticketmaster that is) in the first place they could have charged reasonable prices all around and not had to resort to this tactic. Fair for hardcore fans and casuals alike. All the same I'm completely unsurprised that they did this.

I can assure you it is GNR who is setting the prices

23 minutes ago, k12 said:

I actually think the set list might be shorter, they are going to see 20,000 empty seats and I am guessing they are not going to broing their A-game, I can see Coma left off the set or something like that

exactly

I just cannot see that being the case. I would be willing to bet that the band Is going to show up and give the crowd(however many that may be) an excellent two and a half hour show just as they have been. Even If there are 20,000 empty seats that would mean that 40,000 people showed up which Is still an excellent turn out.

• Like 1

The second show in the same city is like to get some of the songs off of the alternative list. If I remember right ( and I could be wrong and am too lazy to go look it up) didn't the second show in Mexico City lose Coma and gain My Michelle and Yesterdays?

I see different songs being played not for the crowd but for themselves...I think eventually they want to hear one of the alternate songs in a live setting and see the reaction along with how it comes off in a live set to see how it could fit in in the future and if they want to play it again. 

Slither will likely be played for Slash's birthday in NY so I don't expect that or perfect crime right now, 

to me perfect crime is the song that we may never hear live again...it's been on the set list before, but I don't see Axl saying "ok let's go into perfect crime" it's a song I just cannot imagine for 54 year old Axl, but I'd be beyond excited to hear them try. 

10 hours ago, Powerage5 said:

That's just it - if these tickets weren't so grossly overpriced, they'd wouldn't have to resort to trickery to fill every seat. They're essentially charging Stones prices, but they don't have the legacy to be able to charge what the Stones do. Not to mention, even the Stones had a bit of trouble on the stadium tour last year filling every seat.

Besides the weak Canadian dollar right now, I still don't think a second Toronto show would have made much sense logistically. I know Rogers was supposedly on reserve for a second date, but I think maybe the band started second guessing whether that was even a good idea to begin with. From a logistical standpoint, regardless of whether the show fell on the 15th or 17th, both would present issues. If it were the 15th, they'd have shows three nights in a row. If it were the 17th, then they'd have 4 shows in 5 days. Take into account that's in the lead up to the NY gigs, which is the biggest market for the entire tour and they want to be on top of their game there. No one wants to admit it, but I think Axl is reaching the age where it's difficult to do back to back nights. This is the first tour where GN'R have spaced shows out so much, and it could be a part of what's attributing to strong vocals than 2011-2014. Three nights in a row, or four shows in five nights may have been overload.

This is what happens when you have a financial analyst in the your band negotiating your deals. All about the bottomline not their love of music and the fans. Completely forgot why they do what they do. 

Hey let's charge over $300 a ticket. Starved/desperate diehards waiting 23+ will pay anything to see us. Who cares if they are barely making ends meet trying to feed their families, pay for their parents medical bills etc.

So what if its only 3/5th's of GN'R. Come on guys we can make this money without giving Izzy his equal share. Let's not make the same mistake we made in 87 by splitting everything 5 ways. Let's capitalize on Slash and Axl reuniting.

Lets make our women filthy rich so they can go around decorating their homes with rare antiques, chandeliers, garden status and buy their dogs Chanel food/water bowls.

Let's support Hillary and Bernie so they can help those poor people trying to make ends meet that we just held for a ransom in the thousands to see them play a couple of times.

Guess the calculations were slightly off as they struggle to sell out stadiums outside of NY, CHI & LA. Nevermind 2nd nights of back to backs. Next tour if there is one will be a wake up call to bring them back to earth after some self evaluation & reflection. With honor like a fighter pilot.

Edited by Top-Hatted One

10 hours ago, Kasanova King said:

Wouldn't hurt trying to call Ticketmaster and asking for an upgrade...especially since they reduced the price of the tickets....you would have a legitimate reason to want one.  People have been very successful getting upgrades on other dates and the prices of those tickets weren't even reduced....so I think you have a pretty good shot.

You will probably get a free upgrade if you are higher up if the show is not sold out. especially if the lower bowl is not full. They will close off the upper levels and move everyone down .

3 hours ago, IncitingChaos said:

Slither will likely be played for Slash's birthday in NY so I don't expect that or perfect crime right now, 

to me perfect crime is the song that we may never hear live again...it's been on the set list before, but I don't see Axl saying "ok let's go into perfect crime" it's a song I just cannot imagine for 54 year old Axl, but I'd be beyond excited to hear them try. 

Or maby he can if he switch over to his AC/DC screaming... Could actually be be fun to se him hit that song.

7 hours ago, k12 said:

I can assure you it is GNR who is setting the prices

Well yeah the $3 Million payday is a factor, but Live Nation/Ticketmaster certainly isn't going to charge "break even" prices so they'll up them to make a profit for themselves. Don't forget, Guns also gets merch money and whatnot so theoretically it'd be more important just to get butts in the door in order to hit those pay days. Live Nation just got cocky.

3 hours ago, Axl_morris said:

Why was this show not last night on a Saturday, if they played the friday also?? Surely it would sell better on a saturday.

Tomorrow is Fourth of July, so it being on a Sunday is irrelevant this weekend since virtually everyone has off tomorrow. On a holiday weekend, it makes more sense to not to back to back nights if it's not necessary. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, IncitingChaos said:

I think a lot of research goes into it but typically bigger markets, they look at past histories with stadium shows to see how many concert goers there are, but the second shows are decided upon beforehand. They know these places will get a second show, but it looks better when you "add" shows to your tour, it's a sign that it's doing well and gains more interest. But it's important for tours like these in order to make extra money and cut down on cost, they now don't have to rebuild a stage they are there, the stage is ready reload the pyro's and do it all again on Sunday. It's the most profitable dates on the tour. 

So it's not really based on demand as much as it's based on research and past history for concerts in the city chosen, they know before hand which shows will get 2

I believe you can tell by the amount of days in between cities on the initial tour schedule which cities might get a 2nd show.

4 minutes ago, Purple Haze said:

Hi All,

I have been on here for years, but this is my first post, and it is only because I am so excited for tonight.

I missed out in 1991 (Noblesville, IN) and 1992 (Indianapolis, IN).  25 years later, I am definitely not missing out this time around.  Plus, my son will experience it with me.  We've seen Guns in 2011 and Slash w/Myles & the Conspirators in 2012 and even got to meet Slash and get his autograph, but today's show for me is going to be Priceless!  Look for us in our green shirts you can't miss us, we are not your typical guns fans.  Section 112, Seats 1 & 2.  See you all tonight.  Gunners for Life!

I hope you and your son have a great time.