07/03/16 - Chicago, IL - Solider Field

RussTCB

1 minute ago, Billsfan said:

Well I typically don't complain much but this cash grab of a threeunion makes it easy. I'm so proud of you for making that point right after a mod made it, good for you. Guess I'm out of answers :awesomeface:

Watching the same perescopes gets boring but.. Idk the fact is they could at least do an on camera interview together and just explain to the best they can as to what's going on. Otherwise the fact remains, it's axls band and always will be. Slash and duff replaced Dj ashba, bumblefoot, and Tommy Stinson. Melissa Reese has replaced Chris pitman. And we continue..

Supposedly Slash and Duff have a lot of say in the setlist and what they play....so not sure you can blame Axl for it all.

4 minutes ago, Kasanova King said:

Slither is a alt on the setlist.

Yeah which would be great to hear.  I just don't think we can expect it for more than one show or two shows if we are lucky

Edited by WhazUp

9 minutes ago, WhazUp said:

The luxuries of the internet has given people these crazy expectations that can never be lived up to. Like, no GNR not gonna add a fucking song from Libertad lol and no GNR is not gonna do major setlist changes because they operate like a normal arena rock band with visuals and everything.  Back in the day before periscope we didnt have the ability to listen to every show live, only the people who were there could

Yea I remember those days when all you had was your am/fm radio. No TV let alone color TV. And people used to think the world was flat

6 minutes ago, Kasanova King said:

Supposedly Slash and Duff have a lot of say in the setlist and what they play....so not sure you can blame Axl for it all.

Yea but im fairly certain they weren't like hey lets cover The Seeker one day!

Pretty sure its in their because of the nuguns holdovers

Edited by Top-Hatted One

Great show, no doubt. The setlist, though...

According to Duswalt's book, the setlist was the teleprompter handler's nightmare during the UYI tour, because they were screwing it. The guy who did that job had to recognize the first notes of each song and send the lyrics to Axl's screens. And they didn't have computers back then.

Now it's different, they are fully professionals, and we have to live with it.

2 minutes ago, Top-Hatted One said:

Yea I remember those days when all you had was your am/fm radio. No TV let alone color TV. And people used to think the world was round

You know the earth aint flat right?

3 minutes ago, Top-Hatted One said:

Yea I remember those days when all you had was your am/fm radio. No TV let alone color TV. And people used to think the world was round

Yea but im fairly certain they weren't like hey lets cover The Seeker one day!

Pretty sure its in their because of the nuguns holdovers

I remember hearing that's one of the songs both Slash and Duff liked playing....forgot where but it was right after the Vegas shows....

4 minutes ago, Kasanova King said:

So sure, slash and duff want to play Chinese democracy, better, and this I love. Over any other song. Including what we know now, slither. Go on.. Feel free to explain :awesomeface:

7 minutes ago, tsinindy said:

This is a good point, however, what about the people that went to both shows?   And, the bigger issue is that nowadays every one knows their shows are streamed, so they typically do change setlists up a bit.  Maybe it would be more productive to not bitch about the people who are bitching about things because you know....this is a message forum and there will probably be negative comments made, some that are actually legitimate whether you agree with them ornot.  

If people paid to go to both shows then fine, they have a right to be disappointed about it....but is there really a need for people, who CHOOSE to watch periscope every show, to clog up every show thread about it? I mean really, we get the point. Every show people complain about LALD and KOHD, like really? GNRs versions are practically more popular than the original versions. U don't think people who PAID to go see a show would be upset if they didn't play that? I think that matters more. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Billsfan said:

So sure, slash and duff want to play Chinese democracy, better, and this I love. Over any other song. Including what we know now, slither. Go on.. Feel free to explain :awesomeface:

They've made some major changes to all those songs so yeah, I'm assuming that was them, not Axl making those changes.

2 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Great show, no doubt. The setlist, though...

According to Duswalt's book, the setlist was the teleprompter handler's nightmare during the UYI tour, because they were screwing it. The guy who did that job had to recognize the first notes of each song and send the lyrics to Axl's screens. And they didn't have computers back then.

Now it's different, they are fully professionals, and we have to live with it.

LOL, thats a joke right?  It's 2016, not 1991.  I have no doubt they have the technology that this is no issue.  WTF did Axl do in AC/DC when they switched songs?  Are they not professionals?

6 minutes ago, Billsfan said:

It's starting to get obvious thats what this whole thing is about. They don't change the set list, no one talks about GNR, we don't know much about this and it could all be clarified with some communication but these guys having fun on stage, that apparently like each other again, can't answer some questions and at least tell us it ain't about money.

This isn't whining about slither but.. I'm just beyond confused. Same set list, same order. No official interviews. No official photos. No official quotes. No indication as to what the future is. Confusion over how we got to the lineup we have now. Extreme confusion over how things stand with former members of this "band". Why are we getting Chinese songs or anything with a GNR stamp on it over anything else ANYONE in the band has done. 

I mean I get the thrill of a surprise but.. What the hell. Some things they can explain themselves on. Slash and Duff may have agreed to help book gigs and how much they're going to each get paid but that's not a great look for them, going for a cheap cash grab like that. #justsaying 

Maybe it is the opposite. Maybe it is just about them and the music and playing together and connecting with people who show up and watch them play. Getting each song down tighter and sounding better. Add or remove songs as they feel like it or don't if they like what they are doing. Jumping through hoops just to do promotion and interviews? That doesn't sound like it is all about the music. That sounds like doing things just because people say you should. Isn't that closer to being in it for something other than the music than shutting everything out except for the music and the fans who show up at your show and sing along with you?

Maybe they don't want to be media whores like everyone seems to want them to be.

Just to give an alternate view.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ChineseIRS said:

If people paid to go to both shows then fine, they have a right to be disappointed about it....but is there really a need for people, who CHOOSE to watch periscope every show, to clog up every show thread about it? I mean really, we get the point. Every show people complain about LALD and KOHD, like really? GNRs versions are practically more popular than the original versions. U don't think people who PAID to go see a show would be upset if they didn't play that? I think that matters more. 

That wasn't what you said originally.....and of course they being GnR are concerned about who pays to go see them and the paying customers are really the only ones who matter.  But, other bands do it, so GnR could too.  If they don't you have to expect some complaints, so why be all butt hurt about it?  

Do the complainers go overboard?  No doubt :)

I actually got into with a setlist complainer in chat tonight, so I get what you're saying too.  Just saying, there's always going to be complaints and sometimes they are actually legitimate despite what you or I may think.  

25 minutes ago, WhazUp said:

The luxuries of the internet has given people these crazy expectations that can never be lived up to. Like, no GNR not gonna add a fucking song from Libertad lol and no GNR is not gonna do major setlist changes because they operate like a normal arena rock band with visuals and everything.  Back in the day before periscope we didnt have the ability to listen to every show live, only the people who were there could

What is this Libertad you speak of?  Asking for a friend...

Nevermind, my friend Google explained it to me. Carry on, nothing to see here...

Edited by GNR3312

Just now, tsinindy said:

LOL, thats a joke right?  It's 2016, not 1991.  I have no doubt they have the technology that this is no issue.  WTF did Axl do in AC/DC when they switched songs?  Are they not professionals?

Lol, it seems I didn't express myself correctly in English again. I'm not saying that they are not changing the setlist because of the technology or because they want to make the teleprompter guy's life easier. My point is that GnR used to be flexible and laidback about the setlist, but it's not the same band now, they are fully professionals and have a stable and tight setlist like most other bands. That's all.

• Like 2

Just now, Blackstar said:

Lol, it seems I didn't express myself correctly in English again. I'm not saying that they are not changing the setlist because of the technology or because they want to make the teleprompter guy's life easier. My point is that GnR used to be flexible and laidback about the setlist, but it's not the same band now, they are fully professionals and have a stable and tight setlist like most other bands. That's all.

Got it...sorry I mis-read what you said.  But, other bands change up their setlist, some do, some don't.  So, changing the set list isn't indicative of how professional a band is (see Pearl Jam).