08/18/16 - Los Angeles, CA - Dodger Stadium ~SOLD OUT~

RussTCB

11 minutes ago, ll_tj1 said:

I honestly understand what you're saying and I'm not trying to argue with you. But I also can't agree with you since you used a particular song in your reference, I dont agree that Yesterday's is more difficult to sing than Thunderstruck. Even Axl stated he has to be careful when he's singing that song, Back In Black, or other Brian Johnson songs or he may never sing again.

Not arguing with you. I do get what you're saying. Your just not getting what im saying. And thats fine.

Fair enough...it was just an example (the song I used and I used that particular one bc its the one most people said Axl sounded best on and interesting is probably at the low if the scale difficult wise).  As another poster said....he did struggle a bit more with the Bon Scott material than the Brian Johnson material.  Think about that...

And to prove they are easier Axl will attempt rasp with those songs. He didn't even attempt rasp Yesterday's at all (save two words from what I heard)...wonder why?

I've noticed on this tour, even when Axl lays of the rasp a little bit and uses his clean voice, that it actually sounds a lot better than it did from '11-'14. He's sounding sharper with it rather than sounding "Mickey Mousey." Anyone else agree?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, AlexC said:

I've noticed on this tour, even when Axl lays of the rasp a little bit and uses his clean voice, that it actually sounds a lot better than it did from '11-'14. He's sounding sharper with it rather than sounding "Mickey Mousey." Anyone else agree?

Yes, I personally agree with this 100%, but we are in the Minority bro.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AlexC said:

He does sounds great on this tour, way better than 2011 to 2014. But I think his voice in Twat at the 2014 Vegas was great. I was not at that show, but in the videos he sounded great.

I guess his best voice was in the 80's and in 2006. 

2006 voice was just amazing, but the band just din't sound good. Rock Am Ring 2006 was an amazing vocal performance, but the band just din't sound like what it should have been. 

4 minutes ago, AlexC said:

100%. It's still powerful, controlled, and doesn't sound weak like 11-14. It's a lot more like his clean voice of 06. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Slash787 said:

He does sounds great on this tour, way better than 2011 to 2014. But I think his voice in Twat at the 2014 Vegas was great. I was not at that show, but in the videos he sounded great.

I guess his best voice was in the 80's and in 2006. 

2006 voice was just amazing, but the band just din't sound good. Rock Am Ring 2006 was an amazing vocal performance, but the band just din't sound like what it should have been. 

Yeah the 2014 Vegas TWAT was great, although I think the Coachella performance was better. The opening verses were stronger and he hit the super high note on the "I would do anything for you." After his AC/DC performances I think he could easily do There Was a Time at every show now tbh.

(Don't mean to trail off topic though, already got a warning point for shit like this, don't fancy another haha.)

45 minutes ago, Slash787 said:

So basically you are trying to say that Axl is a recovering asshole? 

What about Izzy? 

Lol. Recovering asshole. That was quick.

Izzy considers himself a recovered drug addict. But knows it could just take one time and hes fucked again. Just like Slash and Duff admitted to while in Velvet Revolver. Slash knows he cant socially shoot heroin. Duff knows he can never become a social drinker. He has said as such. That's always been Stevens problem. He would get clean and then believe he could go back to having a couple drinks. Which would lead the drinking an entire 5th, which would lead to smoking some crack, which would lead to shooting up heroin. The guy cant use checmicals of any kind. 

You could ask Scott Weiland about it, but he thought he could recreationally use again as well. 

30 minutes ago, tsinindy said:

Yes, I personally agree with this 100%, but we are in the Minority bro.

I agee as well. I really wasnt trying to nitpick. I think Axl sound fucking awesome. I still think he's the best rock vocalists there is.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, AlexC said:

I agree. And I'm in the minority that doesn't consider the raspless versions of November Rain and Estranged bad; raspless doesn't necessarily equal to "mickey-ish". It's just another way to sing these songs. Axl could have originally chosen to sing NR with clean voice back in the day (or like LALD or Patience for example), but he chose to sing it with rasp. As for the second part of Estranged, this worn out voice somehow fits the song and its lyrics, taking into consideration that it's a 54 year old person singing "for all the changing seasons of my life" now and not a 30 year old. That said, last night's Estranged wasn't the best of the tour imo. On the other hand, songs like PC don't sound good without rasp.

I also think that Axl did equally well with the AC/DC Bon Scott material (if not better) as with the Brian Johnson songs. And I don't agree at all with the "Axl puts more rasp (or effort in general)with AC/DC than with GnR" theory. For example:

- AC/DC: Back in black, Thunderstruck, Hell's Bells --> full rasp, GnR: Nightrain, Out Ta Get Me, Jungle --> full rasp

- AC/DC: High Voltage, You Shook Me All Night Long, Dirty Deeds --> mix of clean and rasp, GnR: Rocket Queen, You Could Be Mine --> same. The impression that Axl sounded better on this type of AC/DC songs than on the GnR ones comes from the simple fact that there's not an old recording or live performance of him on AC/DC songs (with the exception of Rosie) to compare.

Then there are other GnR songs, like Yesterdays and the ballads, which are of a completely different style than any AC/DC song and there can't be any comparison.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, ll_tj1 said:

Lol. Recovering asshole. That was quick.

Izzy considers himself a recovered drug addict. But knows it could just take one time and hes fucked again. Just like Slash and Duff admitted to while in Velvet Revolver. Slash knows he cant socially shoot heroin. Duff knows he can never become a social drinker. He has said as such. That's always been Stevens problem. He would get clean and then believe he could go back to having a couple drinks. Which would lead the drinking an entire 5th, which would lead to smoking some crack, which would lead to shooting up heroin. The guy cant use checmicals of any kind. 

You could ask Scott Weiland about it, but he thought he could recreationally use again as well. 

Slash, Duff and Steven are recovering addicts but Izzy is a recovered addict? 

I was there last night, the band was on fire! Highlights for me were Yesterdays (was not expecting that) and Catcher, one of my favorite CD ballads. From their usual setlist Coma and Estranged ruled. Estranged gave me goosebumps. Slash's solo into Sweet Child was also amazing. The crowd seemed very dead during the CD songs, but I was jamming :lol:. Out Ta Get Me in my opinion sounded better than the original record, Axl was hitting high notes like no other. The ISE intro was badass with the fireworks. I went with people who weren't a fan of the band and they thought the drumming was great, so the Frank bashing has less merit in my eyes now. I was having such a fun time and it was really impressive, I usually hate KOHD and "The Zika" but I had fun with those also. This I Love sounded like the studio version. Overall, the band was amazing. 10/10.

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

What about former alcoholics who began drinking again (moderately)? Many ex-alcoholics can do this. Are they still then alcoholics, seeing as they can have one-two glasses of wine at the weekend with a meal?

What about somebody who was say, a drug addict in their twenties, quit, and is now forty years old sober? Should they still be labelled addict?

Absolute twaddle - as I said - but these gurus and quacks need to justify their jobs and inflated fees so it suits them to espouse such twaddle. It is the sort of nonsense that emanates from America if I'm honest, LA specifically.

I cant deal in never's or always. Of course  its possible. Just like its possible, albeit not probable to survivie Pancraetic Cancer. But its pretty damn rare. Do you realize just how rare it is for a true alcoholic to be able to become social drinker again?

Or a opiate addict to be able to just randomly shoot dope again?

Sure it happens.  But you certainly wont like the odds. And I wouldn't wish it on anyone. Maybe you'd have a different point of view if you were up close and personal with it, or someone who is, or died from it.  Its obvious you havnt, or your in denial about it. Because if you had, you wouldnt argue about it being fine for an addict to use again. 

But, yeah. Go ahead and encourage a close friend or family member thats OD'd or drank themselves into a coma to go ahead and do it again. Its all good.

And whats the LA comment? Ive never been. But Ive seen dope fiends all over the world. And there all alot alike. Some dont give a fuck, and many want to quit but cant.  And alot more die than recover. But im sure thats "Bullocks" to, right ?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Slash787 said:

Slash, Duff and Steven are recovering addicts but Izzy is a recovered addict? 

Its a term. He (Izzy) considers himself recovered, because of his belief he knows he will never use again. Me personally, i still consider him in recovery. Because IF he stuck the needle again, his addiction would be like it was never gone. Its one reason why he left GNR. He couldnt be around it or he knew he'd use it. He wasnt strong enough yet. 

7 minutes ago, ll_tj1 said:

I cant deal in never's or always. Of course  its possible. Just like its possible, albeit not probable to survivie Pancraetic Cancer. But its pretty damn rare. Do you realize just how rare it is for a true alcoholic to be able to become social drinker again?

Or a opiate addict to be able to just randomly shoot dope again?

Sure it happens.  But you certainly wont like the odds. And I wouldn't wish it on anyone. Maybe you'd have a different point of view if you were up close and personal with it, or someone who is, or died from it.  Its obvious you havnt, or your in denial about it. Because if you had, you wouldnt argue about it being fine for an addict to use again. 

But, yeah. Go ahead and encourage a close friend or family member thats OD'd or drank themselves into a coma to go ahead and do it again. Its all good.

And whats the LA comment? Ive never been. But Ive seen dope fiends all over the world. And there all alot alike. Some dont give a fuck, and many want to quit but cant.  And alot more die than recover. But im sure thats "Bullocks" to, right ?

Ehh, when have I advocated that? Complete straw man.

I said, that labeling these people 'addicts', despite years of sobriety, and perhaps a resumption of moderate drinking (which is more common that you depict in your post by the way), is complete hyperbole.

Edited by DieselDaisy

1 hour ago, Slash787 said:

I don't know where he is, he has not even posted on here since like 2 weeks now, he din't go to the troub. show also. Maybe after he said crap about Axl, he was not allowed?

Ok..jokes aside..im not talking about @wasted... Seriously... he was at coachella and always attend GnR related shows... why wasnt he on the show? perhaps he is gonna attend the friday one...

4 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Ehh, when have I advocated that? Complete straw man.

I said, that labeling these people 'addicts', despite years of sobriety, and perhaps a resumption of moderate drinking (which is more common that you depict in your post by the way), is complete hyperbole.

Agree to disagree.

Ill get back on topic. I hear everyone clamoring for Steven and Izzy, but nobody can take anything away from Richard and Frank. They are excellent musicians. And right now this is one tight sounding band!!!!

29 minutes ago, ll_tj1 said:

Agree to disagree.

Ill get back on topic. I hear everyone clamoring for Steven and Izzy, but nobody can take anything away from Richard and Frank. They are excellent musicians. And right now this is one tight sounding band!!!!

I must say, Frank got much much better on the AFD material after the April shows; when I saw them at metlife they sounded tight as hell