Tom Brady suspension reinstated

7 minutes ago, shades said:

don't cheat and you have nothing to worry about

Cheaters are still entitled to a meaningful appeal under the CBA. By having both the initial discipline and the appeal heard by the Commissioner's Office, the league violated the basic tenets of American labor law.  

Edited by axlslash
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, axlslash said:

Cheaters are still entitled to a meaningful appeal under the CBA. By having both the initial discipline and the appeal heard by the Commissioner's Office, the league violated the basic tenets of American labor law.  

ALLEGED CHEATERS.

Joking aside, that's exactly it. Now Goodell can decide that he thinks for whatever reason, something affects the "integrity of the game" (which is the most bullshit phrase) and suspend the person allegedly responsible for however long he wants to, with little-to-no recourse for them. Have fun!

3 hours ago, Mansin Humanity said:

ALLEGED CHEATERS.

Joking aside, that's exactly it. Now Goodell can decide that he thinks for whatever reason, something affects the "integrity of the game" (which is the most bullshit phrase) and suspend the person allegedly responsible for however long he wants to, with little-to-no recourse for them. Have fun!

Am I missing something? wasn't his suspension reinstated by the court? so evidently they felt there was enough evidence to suspend him.....

goodell bent over backwards to sweep spygate under the rug and help kraft out,going as far as telling mike martz what to say to the media, and burning all the tapes. the owners were furious and breathing down his neck the whole time. so to go do this,goodell couldn't hold back the owners anymore, plus i doubt brady got the 4 games for just the footballs, he got it(and the patriots) for lack of cooperation in the investigation, and smashing the cell phone. a lot of the blame should go on the NFLPA as well, they gave goodell the power to oversee all punishments and to handle the appeals, that should have been something the NFLPA fought hard against and they didn't. the court looked it all over and said the CBA gave goodell this power. I still think if brady just owned up to it, he may received two games, and would have been dropped to one on appeal.

Edited by bran

2 hours ago, bran said:

goodell bent over backwards to sweep spygate under the rug and help kraft out,going as far as telling mike martz what to say to the media, and burning all the tapes. the owners were furious and breathing down his neck the whole time. so to go do this,goodell couldn't hold back the owners anymore, plus i doubt brady got the 4 games for just the footballs, he got it(and the patriots) for lack of cooperation in the investigation, and smashing the cell phone. a lot of the blame should go on the NFLPA as well, they gave goodell the power to oversee all punishments and to handle the appeals, that should have been something the NFLPA fought hard against and they didn't. the court looked it all over and said the CBA gave goodell this power. I still think if brady just owned up to it, he may received two games, and would have been dropped to one on appeal.

The spygate stuff has nothing to do with this. The Patriots were fined and docked a first rounder in that situation. I agree that this entire thing could have been handled differently with the phone and everything. However, there is no evidence this happened based on the science and there is no evidence of Brady instructing anyone to commit an act against the rules. There is nothing in the Wells report that proves that.

Was is interesting about this case is that their is 2 judges each that agree with each side.  Some legal experts feel that an en banc hearing could take place where the entire second circuit would hear the case. Would be interesting if that were to happen. This isn't going to the Supreme court imo. 

The players negotiated a horrible CBA. It's sickening how bad it is and gave Goodell broad power to do this kind of thing. I will be very interesting to see if there is an en banc hearing.

5 hours ago, classicrawker said:

Am I missing something? wasn't his suspension reinstated by the court? so evidently they felt there was enough evidence to suspend him.....

The court wasn't ruling on the facts of the case - it was whether under the CBA, Goodell was legally allowed to use the process he did or not.

Edited by Mansin Humanity

3 hours ago, Mansin Humanity said:

The court wasn't ruling on the facts of the case - it was whether under the CBA, Goodell was legally allowed to use the process he did or not.

which is what the whole appeal case hinged on, the cba is the cba, the owners and the players(stupidly) signed off on it giving goodell certain powers, which he used to suspend brady, he has been doing it for years. i think there should definitely be a neutral third party for appeals, and i also agree goodell's use of punishment has been wildly inconsistent(hardy and rice) but there is really nothing players can do for another 5 years to fix it.

with good reason the commissioner was given almost unwavering powers. So that things could be dealt with "in-house" that affected the league like every little DUI, or domestic assault, or saying the wrong thing to the media could be handled internally, otherwise in and out of court given players egotistical personalities being what they are, would be worse for all than having the boss just handle it.

There is little doubt the balls were tampered with,  little doubt Brady knew of it, and  little doubt the Patriots thought they could brush it under the rug, again. I said last year best thing to do was take his 4 game suspension and put this thing in the rear view mirror. But here we are a year later and they are back on ESPN over something they do not want to be associated with.

5 hours ago, bran said:

which is what the whole appeal case hinged on, the cba is the cba, the owners and the players(stupidly) signed off on it giving goodell certain powers, which he used to suspend brady, he has been doing it for years. i think there should definitely be a neutral third party for appeals, and i also agree goodell's use of punishment has been wildly inconsistent(hardy and rice) but there is really nothing players can do for another 5 years to fix it.

Yeah, that's pretty much it. It's bullshit but it is what it is. What bothers me the most is that at no point was there an objective review of the facts. That's all I wanted.

On ‎4‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 11:53 PM, Mansin Humanity said:

Yeah I read that on ESPN after I made my post so should have researched it before posting.

Based on the limited amount of time I spent following the case seems the NFL's case against Brady is pretty flimsy and if it was a criminal case I doub there would be a conviction. But as other have stated I think Goddell was trying to show he did not play favorites and Brady being uncooperative certainly did not help his cause.

Sounds like Brady could try to continue to postpone the suspension with several appeal avenues but it would be very expensive and this legal expert thinks it is almost inevitable he will have to serve his sentence.

http://www.si.com/nfl/2016/04/25/tom-brady-deflategate-suspension-nfl-appeal-roger-goodell

I was in favor of suspending Brady last season when this story first broke ground, but now that an entire season has come and gone, I am ready to move on. 

Statute of Limitations doesn't seem to apply here but it is the best I can come up with. This happened two seasons ago. Let's move on. 

7 hours ago, arnold layne said:

I was in favor of suspending Brady last season when this story first broke ground, but now that an entire season has come and gone, I am ready to move on. 

Statute of Limitations doesn't seem to apply here but it is the best I can come up with. This happened two seasons ago. Let's move on. 

A settlement would do that. Brady said he would accept a game for lack of cooperation but the league wanted admission of guilt and their offer was 3 games. At this point the sides should meet in the middle. 2 games for lack of cooperation with a league investigation and be done. Brady can't admit to wrongdoing since he said under oath he wasn't involved in any wrongdoing