Steven Adler Throws Out Back On 2nd Day Of GN'R Rehearsals - According To Mitch Lafon

35 minutes ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

Maybe because (according to Lafon) he got injured on the 2nd day of rehearsals so as he barely got to rehearse with the band, they decided to play these first few shows without him and then rehearse with him in may. This might not be the reason but it would make sense to me if it was.

He was the drummer for two albums. He blamed himself many times, not only the other guys. He toured the world several times and lately released a killer album with his band ADLER. He's been erratic off stage but, unlike Frank Ferrer, he's always been rock solid on stage and he's been the most reliable guy in the world when it came to playing Appetite For Destruction. You have all the right in the world to consider him a risk and to prefer he's not included, yet reminding his addiction problems a hundred times and making "jokes" about it doesn't seem to be the classiest thing... :shrugs:

His addiction problems seem like a pretty big deal that a lot of people are ignoring. He's erratic and could potentially derail the whole thing. After all this time, Slash, Axl and Duff are playing together and people aren't happy enough/would risk it for Steven Adler? He's not that important. 

We don't know what this version of GNR is supposed to be. If they were doing a nostalgia, farewell tour, sure, use Alder and hope for the best. But if GNR is still meant to be "in the now" and this is Slash and Duff re-joining GNR with plans for the future, why are they obligated to use Alder? He was kicked out 26 years ago and current GNR has a drummer. Did people spend the last 10 years championing for Adler's return to GNR? No. So why now? 

Edited by Modano09
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Modano09 said:

His addiction problems seem like a pretty big deal that a lot of people are ignoring. He's erratic and could potentially derail the whole thing. After all this time, Slash, Axl and Duff are playing together and people aren't happy enough/would risk it for Steven Adler? He's not that important. 

We don't know what this version of GNR is supposed to be. If they were doing a nostalgia, farewell tour, sure, use Alder and hope for the best. But if GNR is still meant to be "in the now" and this is Slash and Duff re-joining GNR with plans for the future, why are they obligated to use Alder? He was kicked out 26 years ago and current GNR has a drummer. Did people spend the last 10 years championing for Adler's return to GNR? No. So why now? 

Because the last ten years were NuGuns and most people didn't care who the drummer was

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Modano09 said:

I don't think people are ignoring that, you seem to be exagerating. His worst days are far behind him, he's totally capable of playing as it can be seem in thousand of videos. Most (if not all) people are hoping he'll have an opportunity to play with the band, not return as the full time drummer, so I don't see what's the big risk.

Again, they're not obligated, no one's saying they are. To me (and many others) it would be great to have Steven back for a new album because I/we find him to be the best drummer this band has had. You can think otherwise and that's fine.

3 minutes ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

I don't think people are ignoring that, you seem to be exagerating. His worst days are far behind him, he's totally capable of playing as it can be seem in thousand of videos. Most (if not all) people are hoping he'll have an opportunity to play with the band, not return as the full time drummer, so I don't see what's the big risk.

Again, they're not obligated, no one's saying they are. To me (and many others) it would be great to have Steven back for a new album because I/we find him to be the best drummer this band has had. You can think otherwise and that's fine.

Play here and there, sure, but if they give him an inch he'll want a mile. Given how unlikely it was we'd ever see Axl and Slash play together, and how potentially fragile this all could be, I think introducing Alder into the mix could be a disaster. 

11 minutes ago, janrichmond said:

Because the last ten years were NuGuns and most people didn't care who the drummer was

The majority of people who are going to be buying tickets to see Slash and Axl don't care who the drummer is either.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Modano09 said:

Play here and there, sure, but if they give him an inch he'll want a mile. Given how unlikely it was we'd ever see Axl and Slash play together, and how potentially fragile this all could be, I think introducing Alder into the mix could be a disaster. 

Well, no matter what he wants, he won't be the one chosing the rules, he either takes their offer or his out. I think the opposite, Slash would be really happy to have his old friend there like it used to be back in the day and if Steven delivers, both Duff and Axl will be really happy as well.

3 minutes ago, Modano09 said:

The majority of people who are going to be buying tickets to see Slash and Axl don't care who the drummer is either.  

They don't care who the bass player is either. Should the band get rid of Duff just because some casual goers only care about Axl and Slash? The big difference in this tour is made by real fans (who care about Steven, Duff & Izzy). I don't think Duff, Izzy & Steven can sell any extra tickets because real fans want to see Slash and Axl together, even if it's not the line up they want, but that doesn't mean most of the people going to the shows don't care about them. For instance, I've always cared about Slash more than any other musician in the world, and still I went to see Axl's Slashless version of GNR three times.

9 minutes ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

Well, no matter what he wants, he won't be the one chosing the rules, he either takes their offer or his out. I think the opposite, Slash would be really happy to have his old friend there like it used to be back in the day and if Steven delivers, both Duff and Axl will be really happy as well.

They don't care who the bass player is either. Should the band get rid of Duff just because some casual goers only care about Axl and Slash? The big difference in this tour is made by real fans (who care about Steven, Duff & Izzy). I don't think Duff, Izzy & Steven can sell any extra tickets because real fans want to see Slash and Axl together, even if it's not the line up they want, but that doesn't mean most of the people going to the shows don't care about them. For instance, I've always cared about Slash more than any other musician in the world, and still I went to see Axl's Slashless version of GNR three times.

Say Slash goes to bat for Alder and convinces Axl to play with him, and Adler screws it up, which is a pretty good possibility. How do you think that plays out between Slash and Axl? I think Adler, whether he's drunk, sober or just being himself, would piss Axl off. There was always tension between the two of them. 

There are a lot of differences between Duff and Adler. Duff was 1/3 of the controlling partners of the GNR name, he's on good terms with both Slash and Axl, he's reliable, sober, and easy going. Adler is none of that. If Duff was still an erratic alcoholic who had no legal connection to the band and Axl didn't get along with or think he could rely on, he likely wouldn't be included either and people would still be happy with Axl and Slash. I just don't think Alder sells enough tickets to be worth the risk. Nobody's going to pass on an Axl/Slash GNR show because Adler's not there and the majority of people who are buying tickets listen to GNR when they come on the radio, they're not listening 30 years of bootlegs and comparing the drumming like hardcore fans do. With that in mind, I just don't see him as being worth the risk. If he can accept that he makes guest appearances on 6 songs on select shows, okay, but I just don't think he can get a taste of it without wanting more.

2 hours ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

Maybe because (according to Lafon) he got injured on the 2nd day of rehearsals so as he barely got to rehearse with the band, they decided to play these first few shows without him and then rehearse with him in may. This might not be the reason but it would make sense to me if it was.

Could be, I just hope we find out some information soon!!

Deep down I just feel like Adler will be there for the summer tour

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GNRfan2008 said:

Truth. Duff is the MVP behind the scenes. 

And he has writing credits, does nice background vocals, can play all the material without question, is definitely sober.   Plus the man just oozes punk rock.   Duff is awesome. 

Steven has a nice swing on the AFD album, but I don't see him as a major upgrade to Frank nor do I see him as someone who can be counted on.

Edited by CardinalGunner

2 hours ago, GNRfan2008 said:

More like 30%, not 50%. But a better point to make is what Matt Sorum said years ago. Steven Adler was a big part of the GN'R sound. Set aside the album for a second. Live gigs whooped ass too and Adler was a big part of that. All 5 of them were amazing together.

The last show had  25 songs on the setlist. The Wish You Were Here and Godfather things barely count as songs and then there are four covers on top of that. That leaves 19 songs, 10 of which Adler played on.

Anyway, GNR has a small discography for a major band and Appetite looms very large in it.  To dismiss someone as having played on only one album really doesn't fly when it's that album.

And yes, the original five were magic together. I was lucky enough to see them in '88 and it's still one of the best shows I've ever been to.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, CardinalGunner said:

And he has writing credits, does nice background vocals, can play all the material without question, is definitely sober.   Plus the man just oozes punk rock.   Duff is awesome. 

Steven has a nice swing on the AFD album, but I don't see him as a major upgrade to Frank nor do I see him as someone who can be counted on.

Exactly. Comparing Duff to Steven is absolutely ridiculous.

Duff is absolutely necessary and a key part in this whole thing, Steven is mostly just a risk.

• Like 1

Eye wise, the reunion is fine. Some people enjoy the visual aspect of rock and roll as much, if not more than the audio. I, myself have seen GnR four times in the past ten years. Once with Brain, three with Frank. I went to these shows primarily to hear Axl sing. The rest was window dressing. I also saw Adler play at a sports bar with a green Canadian singer and Chip Z'nuff. If you would have plugged Axl into that situation, it would have been more pleasing to my ears than any of those other shows. I guess what I'm saying is that Steven's as unique a drummer as Axl is a singer, and I have equal appreciation for them both. It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got that swing(or ear splitting vocals).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CardinalGunner said:

lol at those who think Duff and Adler are of equal importance.

Duff is likely the most important factor in getting these shows to happen.   

I never said that. In my opinion, Steven is more important when it comes to the sound of the band but Duff is more important in every other department. His writing abilities, his backing vocals, his attitude and the fact that he gets along with everyone and was the one who made this semi reunion happen... I'd never put Duff down, I love the guy and I think he and Slash are the only GNR members (of the real five) who are 100% reliable, the only ones who are constantly putting new music out, touring to support it, hitting the stage on time... They're the hardest workers. Axl and Steven have had their good amount of problems and both of them seem to be doing way better lately but is yet to be seen whether they can keep it together (Steven staying out of booze and drugs and Axl behaving like a pro, getting on stage early, soundchecking, being nice to the people around him).

• Like 1

13 hours ago, CardinalGunner said:

lol at those who think Duff and Adler are of equal importance.

Duff is likely the most important factor in getting these shows to happen.   

Duff may have been the most important in getting this "reunion" together no one is denying that. I think what people agree saying is that Steven would be just as important to the actually quality of the performances. You have made it clear that you are overjoyed with Frank but I think most seem to agree that he is the weakest link in this thing.

Duff is the man though.. I loved hearing his background vocals on "Out Ta Get Me" again.... Beyond awesome to hear.

Edited by Tom-Ass
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, CardinalGunner said:

imagine the nice swing he could bring to the UYI and CD songs

Edited by action
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Modano09 said:

I do care about who is going to be the drummer, specially if the drummer is Ferrer. Another thing is since we have Axl, Slash and duff we don't complain too much about the others. If we can't have the original line up, the big 3 is enough.

Edited by mikebones

51 minutes ago, mikebones said:

I do care about who is going to be the drummer, specially if the drummer is Ferrer. Another thing is since we have Axl, Slash and duff we don't complain too much about the others. If we can't have the original line up, the big 3 is enough.

You post on a GNR fan site, you take this all more seriously than the average fan. The majority of people buying tickets to this listened to GNR back in the day, gave up sometime in the late 90's, and enjoy the hits when they come on the radio. They'll buy their ticket, go to the show, and rock out to the songs they liked 20 years ago being played by the "real band" (Axl and Slash) and have no strong opinion one way or the other on the drumming. 

5 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

Duff may have been the most important in getting this "reunion" together no one is denying that. I think what people agree saying is that Steven would be just as important to the actually quality of the performances. You have made it clear that you are overjoyed with Frank but I think most seem to agree that he is the weakest link in this thing.

Duff is the man though.. I loved hearing his background vocals on "Out Ta Get Me" again.... Beyond awesome to hear.

Well based on band introduction that axl has done, Frank is the only one I've heard getting booed(there's proof on YouTube). But other than that everyone is sounding great. I think if they could work Adler into this thing and just have him play the appetite material everything will blow over. 

1 hour ago, janrichmond said:

Thats sad that he gets booed, just don't clap if you don't like him

THIS.  And it's bound to piss Axl and the guys off. I want Steven and Matt as much as the next fan, but listening to interviews with Frank, he does seem like a really nice guy.  He's not Pittman. Plus, if any of us were in Frank's shoes, and the band didn't call Matt or Steven, who would say NO to drumming with this lineup?

Edited by G-Money
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, G-Money said:

THIS.  And it's bound to piss Axl and the guys off. I want Steven and Matt as much as the next fan, but listening to interviews with Frank, he does seem like a really nice guy.  He's not Pittman. Plus, if any of us were in Frank's shoes, and the band didn't call Matt or Steven, who would say NO to drumming with this lineup?

But he's not being booed for not being Steven, it's for fucking up many of the songs. That's why it happens to him and not to Fortus or Melissa.

Still, I think it's really disrespectful. I could never do something like that even when I'm almost praying every day for him to leave.

• Like 1