First time listening to the entire Chinese Democracy album - WOW

1 minute ago, shjtjustgotreal said:

Does anyone life If The World? 

cuz i just listened to it 1st time today and actually quite enjoyed it :D 

Always loved the vocals and the solo. It's the rest that could be better I guess. Though every now and then I'll take a listen and enjoy it.

56 minutes ago, donny said:

alot of people saying demo versions are better. no the album versions are better but when i want a change i love listening to the acapella versions.

and whats with all you guns n roses fans saying you have not heard CD yet and you regard it as an axl solo album ? its the second best guns n roses album(after AFD) released.

i forget what forum member said it but he thinks CD is the most underrated rock album of all time. and i agree with him. 

This is awesome. 

• Like 1

Its tied with AFD as my favorite Guns N' Roses release.      I think songs like TWAT, Better, Madgascar, and Catcher will stand the test of time.

I do wish they would have kept the name 'The Blues'.    And for that particular song, I liked what they were doing in 2001/2002 more so than the album.   

I'd really love to hear the album as it was during that 2002 era.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GnRDuff1 said:

Are we really having a "Do you like Chinese Democracy" discussion? Where have you people been? Were all you reunion people unwilling to buy or listen to it because Slash wasn't in the band? I'm really confused.

I guess you could call me one of those reunion people.I grew up with GnR.I actually bought the CD the day it came out ,maybe I didn't give it a fair shake.Gave it a couple listens and just sounded nothing like the band I grew up listening to.I was excited to see then live for the first time in over 20 years in Vegas so I dusted off the CD and played it quite a bit leading up to the show .While I personally still like what the other original members did since they disbanded (especially Velvet Revolver )CD has grown on me some but just has so much going on that's is just OK to my ears.Obviously it's all subjective and to each it's own.I noticed quite a few people near me rocking out to the CD stuff at show in Vegas so those that enjoy it on board don't seem to be alone 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, gt72 said:

I guess you could call me one of those reunion people.I grew up with GnR.I actually bought the CD the day it came out ,maybe I didn't give it a fair shake.Gave it a couple listens and just sounded nothing like the band I grew up listening to.I was excited to see then live for the first time in over 20 years in Vegas so I dusted off the CD and played it quite a bit leading up to the show .While I personally still like what the other original members did since they disbanded (especially Velvet Revolver )CD has grown on me some but just has so much going on that's is just OK to my ears.Obviously it's all subjective and to each it's own.I noticed quite a few people near me rocking out to the CD stuff at show in Vegas so those that enjoy it on board don't seem to be alone 

I could have worded it better, I suppose. I didn't mean anything offensive by it. I feel like Chinese Democracy has been talked about so much on this board, that to see people talking about their first listen or newly discovering certain songs in 2016 is the last thing I would have expected to see here...well, behind Axl and Slash on stage together again.

• Like 1

I didn't find it offensive at all.Thought it was a legitimate question.I'm new to board.Lurked for years and I guess in hopes that would hear some rumors of a reunion of some sorts .When it happened I joined.As far as CD is concerned a lot of casual fans,I would classify my girlfriend who went with me to show as one thought she was hearing a new song when they played a song of CD that night

• Like 1

3 hours ago, shjtjustgotreal said:

Does anyone life If The World? 

cuz i just listened to it 1st time today and actually quite enjoyed it :D 

I love it:  Really like the high clean vocal for some reason.  Also like how the chill funky groove lulls you into a bit of a daze and then you are slapped with the eye opening start of the solo like the start of a high.  Then the solo definitely delivers as that high.  I also like the spanish guitar placed against the sludgy riff especially at the end.

If the World is the most immeadiate song on CD. Chindem sounds awesome but the lyrics are a bit "blood in the eye vision is clear". But If The World is catchy, clear lyrics and out of this world vocals, great solo too. It's like All of My Love by Zepp meets Evidence by Faith No More meets Phil Collins. It could have had a great chopper friendly video and with Dr Dre's help gone No. 1. 

Axl had some neat ideas on CD, but it sounds too 'industrial' or whatever term the kids use.  It needed Slash, just look at the Vegas shows, he dominated Better and TIL.  CD (the song), not much you can do to save.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, wasted said:

If the World is the most immeadiate song on CD. Chindem sounds awesome but the lyrics are a bit "blood in the eye vision is clear". But If The World is catchy, clear lyrics and out of this world vocals, great solo too. It's like All of My Love by Zepp meets Evidence by Faith No More meets Phil Collins. It could have had a great chopper friendly video and with Dr Dre's help gone No. 1. 

led zeps all of my love cant be compared. it just sits in a class of its own. could you please not put it in the same sentence as faith no more and phil collins. catchy or not. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, wasted said:

It's like All of My Love by Zepp meets Evidence by Faith No More meets Phil Collins. It could have had a great chopper friendly video and with Dr Dre's help gone No. 1. 

Ha awesome description.

dude I sat through body of lies on opening night just to hear it. I really dig the funk vibe though. I thought it fit the movie great.

I love all of CD. I understand why some don't care for it but I think it's just great! 

• Like 1

I'll take The chinese Demo demo without all the talking. It would have been a great opener without the minute of the talking 

Chicken dinner demo. The longer outro (?)

The rest is fine. It's an underrated album in my opinion. 

I catch myself singing CD, Better and Sorry more. 

Edited by Hollywood Zombie

If you judge it for what it is, it's a great album. But it wasn't "real GNR", it took 15 years to make and it was Axl proving he could do it without the original band, which nobody thought he could do, or wanted to believe he could....

I don't prefer the demos but I think the demos would have been fine, and when you listen to the album you can tell where Axl was adding this or that trying to make it perfect. 

22 hours ago, IncitingChaos said:

The first time I heard the record I was disappointed with Axl's vocals, but then it grew on me and I started liking the songs a lot. 

The songs that I liked on a first listen were Chinese Democracy, Shacklers Revenge, Street of Dreams, Catcher in the Rye, Madagascar and Prostitute. I now would add TWAT, IRS, and Better as songs that grew on me and I started to appreciate later

I was in a similar boat but after a while they almost had a Robert Plant feel to them, particularly from the Page/Plant No Quarter Unledded album from the 90's.... And I LOVE that.

17 hours ago, RussTCB said:

I generally think of myself as a pretty good music listener. By that I mean I usually pick out stuff that other people don't or whatever... you know what I mean? Anyway... when the album came out, I didn't really notice a lot fo the copy and paste stuff. There was one vocal in Riad that I was like "OH SHIT. That was a terrible c&p!" but other than that, I didn't notice much. When the RockBand tracks leaked and I got to listen to everything individually, I was like "Jesus H Christ, HOW did I miss all this c&p??". I don't know why I didn't catch a lot of it at first, but it was really glaring after I heard the isolated stuff.

On the topic of the record itself, I still love it and it's still my favorite GN'R record overall. I only dislike one song on it which people always tell me I'm crazy for not liking (CitR).

What part of riad?

Chinese Democracy is a great fucking record.

There are versions of songs I've liked better than what materialized on the finished product though. I love The Blues from 2002 more than the record.

Over all though, Appetite and Chinese are my two favorites. Followed of course, by UYI2 than UYI1.

It's cool to see more people are finally coming around to it... It's gotta be one of the most underrated albums of all time.   It's solid from start to finish... something you don't really see anymore in this day and age.

Edited by Jeramy213
  • Like 1