Stephen King's Cell (John Cusack, Sam Jackson)

Bumblefeet

Yeah, I just saw this last night after having never heard of it previously. It looks pretty solid, and I'm always a fan of Sam and of "zombies", so hopefully it'll be good. If Jackson gets eaten then here's to hoping he yells out "They ate me! The zombies ate me!" as he goes. :lol:

I also read the book and really liked it. I remember thinking of all those annoying people who are on their cell phones constantly and how funny it would be if something or someone did do something to make them crazy.

anyway, if I remember the book, the people who weren't affected by this were those who didn't have cell phones. I thought the lead character didn't have a cell phone either? Anyway, looks like they changed the plot up a bit. Hope it's as good as the book.

The book ended up in the air and never really explained who or what could have done that to all the cell phones in the world. I was hoping SK would have written a sequel to his book, but maybe he will end it differently and explain more?

• 1 month later...

Finally watched it (the movie is available online). For me there are too many changes from the book that don't work quite as well here;

-The opening sequence in the airport is nowhere near as cool as the one in Boston common park in the book.
-What little they explain of "the pulse", the raggedy man and the phoners barely scratched the surface.
-The new ending manages to be worse than the book

There are things I liked about it; Cusack and Jackson both have good chemistry and carry the picture for the most part, the kids were ok too as was Stacy Keach. 

All in all, it just felt too constrained and oddly paced. Barely any survivors compared to the book and the flocks of zombies feel minute as well. When Eli Roth was first going to direct this, he had envisioned seeing the pulse hit everywhere. Here it feels like that just rushes by and you are at the end of the story in no time. Everything feels extremely rushed and there is no time to breath and sink in the situation properly nor get to care for the characters, which "28 days later" managed a lot better.

I read that King and Cusack were cut off from the project in december last year and the movie underwent studio bankruptcy which I suspect pulled the plug on any revamping or beefing it up more. A shame!

I'll have to watch this. 

I think Mr. Metcedes will be made into movie too. 

in the movies the characters always seem more just familiar but in the books like semi lame stereotypes with obvious character traits. Like in Mercedes the retired cop thing getting into trouble with a LADY seems cliche and his diet problems. But in a movie it would work seamlessly.