Does Death equal Time to Buy in the Age of Nostalgia?

wasted

On April 28, 2016 at 6:06 AM, wasted said:

The point is that no one sells records until they die. And that means nostalgia is bigger. Of course I then take the point too far   and guess that maybe that is too negative. But with remakes of movies, the idea that no new music is really needed or less anyway and the conservative nature of any creative area. Even modern art or contemporary art is often more about Julian Schabnel retrospectives than new artists. It's almost like a certain philosophical 20th century ideas have just expired. We know ideology leads nowhere.

In the age of terror we want safety. It's not just wanting to be young. It's a whole retro state of mind. Even Rap has immeadiately doubled back on NWA. It's the end of culture I tell you. We are getting ready to go live underground after a nuclear holocaust. Future lives will be uneventful yet full of pleasure. 

Well I think we collectively bought into the cultural myth that more is better. Expand. Build. Acquire. Consume. And time is showing it was all a dream. The immediate reaction is rooted in fear which is do the opposite. Recycle everything. Save the planet. Cigarettes aren't cool anymore.  So the cash cow now is in the reunion because the culture is waking up into the nostalgia because it's realizing that although the times they are a changin, nothing really changes. I use the clock to judge the position of the sun like I use Lennon to remember the innocence. It's all a mind trip.

Future lives will be uneventful yet full of pleasure? Very interesting. I read recently you can generate more stress hormones lying in bed thinking of a car crash than actually being in a car crash. We are riding a technological mind wave into the future and we're all randomly falling off the cliff known as death. Save us nostalgia!

On April 28, 2016 at 10:28 AM, wasted said:

It really was like saying rock is played out, it's a big joke. So maybe there is no way to top Nirvana without killing yourself. Maybe that's why no one wants to try. 

Ever ready the myth of Sisyphus by Albert Camus? On and on is all we are, up the hill with a boulder to watch it roll back down forever. Maybe Kurts route is the only way if you can see it from the perspective of the predicament of being human? What if he reached the pinnacle and the rest was the illusion. I think it was Manson that said dying is easy, waking up and going through this day after day is hard.

The end of culture suits a plutocracy. That means the minds of the populace living on a set income never changes it's just a perpetual state of remembering happiness. It's a denial of the present to secure the future. 

A sense of knowing entered rock in the late 80s and continued through the 90s. GNR were the 70s in the 80s and then grunge was 70s in the 90s. But no new ideas came into rock. It's mainly been retro or nostalgia for an era we never experienced. I was born into retro. It's second nature but no one said it would be the end music. There will never be another Prince or MJ or GNR. They already were the clones. But once death is the selling point surely the  art form is dead. Or is it that they want it dead because it's easier to market old, safe ideas. It's all about control of the economy, limiting risk so a few can make money. But the cost is the loss of creativity and it's impact on our culture. We have no and maybe don't need new ideas. The mass production of our souls has begun.