Memories of the Use Your Illusion Tour: An Interview with Tracey Amos

44 minutes ago, EvanG said:

Nothing against them personally, they are professionals and all, but that whole extra band is what made GnR become a joke for a lot of people in the early 90s... they went from being the most dangerous band in rock n roll to a Las Vegas act.

On one hand I understand that logic, but on the other hand I think Axl just envisioned Guns as the second coming of The Stones so to speak - a band that is larger than life. They tour with singers and backing musicians and I don't think anyone considers them anything less than a badass rock band because of it.

That said, I can see why it's not everyone's cup of tea or why people prefer the raw approach. Personally, I like the raw approach but I'm not totally opposed to the backing musicians thing. That's how I've come to accept Melissa in the band.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, EvanG said:

Nothing against them personally, they are professionals and all, but that whole extra band is what made GnR become a joke for a lot of people in the early 90s... they went from being the most dangerous band in rock n roll to a Las Vegas act.

Agree.. I still have a hard time watching videos from that tour. It was just too much.. Not to mention Axl's outfits.. Just tough to watch all together and looked super cheesy and staged. Glad he ditched the outfits and they stripped it back down for the Skin N' Bones tour. That tour was incredible.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tom-Ass said:

Agree.. I still have a hard time watching videos from that tour. It was just too much.. Not to mention Axl's outfits.. Just tough to watch all together and looked super cheesy and staged. Glad he ditched the outfits and they stripped it back down for the Skin N' Bones tour. That tour was incredible.

i saw both legs of the illusions tours and loved them both, Tom-Ass is right the Skin n Bones leg was amazing!! Ronnie Wood was there and they done Honky Tonk Women.Perfection.

2 hours ago, James Bond said:

On one hand I understand that logic, but on the other hand I think Axl just envisioned Guns as the second coming of The Stones so to speak - a band that is larger than life. They tour with singers and backing musicians and I don't think anyone considers them anything less than a badass rock band because of it.

That said, I can see why it's not everyone's cup of tea or why people prefer the raw approach. Personally, I like the raw approach but I'm not totally opposed to the backing musicians thing. That's how I've come to accept Melissa in the band.

Agreed, it's a matter of taste. I like that they evolved but they went from being a dirty, raw sounding rock band from the streets to an arena rock band with sexy background singers and two keyboard players in less than five years... it just wasn't my thing.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, janrichmond said:

i saw both legs of the illusions tours and loved them both, Tom-Ass is right the Skin n Bones leg was amazing!! Ronnie Wood was there and they done Honky Tonk Women.Perfection.

Don't get me wrong. I saw them twice during the 91/92 tour with all the bells and whistles.. The first time was amazing.. I fucking worshiped them though and they could have done no wrong. I was 15 years old and was on acid.. Good times..  The second time was with Metallica and to be honest Metallica made the Guns shows seem a bit cheesy and bloated.. The 3rd time was the Skin N' Bones tour. That was in 1993.. Well over 200 shows later and I am still yet to find any band to top that show.

1 minute ago, Tom-Ass said:

Don't get me wrong. I saw them twice during the 91/92 tour with all the bells and whistles.. The first time was amazing.. I fucking worshiped them though and they could have done no wrong. I was 15 years old and was on acid.. Good times..  The second time was with Metallica and to be honest Metallica made the Guns shows seem a bit cheesy and bloated.. The 3rd time was the Skin N' Bones tour. That was in 1993.. Well over 200 shows later and I am still yet to find any band to top that show.

I done 91,92 and 93 as well, 91 was Izzy's last show(as a permanent member:() at Wembley.Skin n Bones I really loved and went both nights! Best concerts ever!!

21 minutes ago, janrichmond said:

I done 91,92 and 93 as well, 91 was Izzy's last show(as a permanent member:() at Wembley.Skin n Bones I really loved and went both nights! Best concerts ever!!

You saw Izzy's last show and I was at Gilby's first show lol.. Bastard..

• Like 1

OMG @downliner where did you find this?! This woman was literally all I wanted to be aged 14 years old, but info then and now was always so rare. In a purely self indulgent way, I would love to see her and Roberta come back for a guest spot this year (when I'm there to see it, obviously :lol:). Will, you're brilliant. Thanks for sharing!

Edit: I've just seen that you submitted the questions?! Geeky fan overdose alert on my part. Wowser.

Edited by Gilla999

Amazing interview.  Huge thanks to those who made this interview posible and to Tracey for answering the questions and providing photos from her personal collection.

I loved the UYI tour, and while the Skin N' Bones leg of the tour was my favorite, the inclusion of back-up singers, horns and Teddy Zig Zag had its magic, too!  :heart: