Was GN'R ever a happy band?

5 minutes ago, HeartbreakerWoman said:

Lyke in Duff's book he says he told Axl they weren't the kinda band to high five one another which made him sad...

Yeah, in some interview he made a comment about how they never took a moment to really enjoy their success. Like, they never went to dinner together, which surprised me.

I perceive much more interaction between Duff and Axl than Slash and Axl. I feel Slash is the one who isolates from the whole group. He doesn't like anyone, except for Duff.

Duff likes Axl for real and Axl likes Duff for real, they were able to solve their stuff because Duff is a guy who's willing to talk problems. Slash, hmm..

Check this video. Reminds me of the way Duff was with Axl in the past, during riots, he was always by his side, trying to calm him down. Duff is the man :)

• Like 1

21 hours ago, HeartbreakerWoman said:

I don't mean in terms of lyricism obviously but like, just enjoying themselves live or otherwise? W/ the regrouping been watchin a ton of old clips from 88-93 nd they didn't seem to enjoy each other's company much even then...there seems to always been an underlying sorta tension. And with the 'regrouping', everyone just seems to be phoning it in outside of Axl N' Richard...In so far as no one seems motivated or pepped up live besides those two. I'm not expectin everyone to be best friends but it doesn't seem like the boys have ever enjoyed each other's company at least on stage.

Wow what planet are you on? Axl and slash loved each other, their band was amazing! Clearly you haven't read their autobiographies or were alive in the 80s. 

Edited by Kyles
More info

21 hours ago, HeartbreakerWoman said:

Lyke in Duff's book he says he told Axl they weren't the kinda band to high five one another which made him sad...I mean guys look at the Stones they hate each other but when they're on stage the magic is still there n' theyre older men...Slash an Duff just dont seem happy..Theres no chemistry...Lok at Led Zeppelin in their days, those boys were not only sexy tarts but they genuinely had fun performing and making their music, since 1989 or so, its always seemed tense under the surface. I don't think a record inspired by happy feelings would be too bad, it'd be a nice changeup...Can't stay gloomy and angry at the world when youre 50s...I just want the boys to enjoy what they do and they just seem to be goin thru the motions which is sad. Been lookin forward to seeing them all my life and its a bummer.

You know what will bring back the chemistry on stage?  Removing the 2 bozos and bringing back Izzy and Steven. Dropping the CD songs from the setlist would be nice as well. Does anybody think Slash and Duff enjoy playing with that atrocious drummer? 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, SWINGTRADER said:

You know what will bring back the chemistry on stage?  Removing the 2 bozos and bringing back Izzy and Steven. Dropping the CD songs from the setlist would be nice as well. Does anybody think Slash and Duff enjoy playing with that atrocious drummer? 

This is all incorrect. You think they were somehow swindled into playing with the "2 bozos"? They are obviously at least content with playing the new material to accept the money to do it. This is a reunion of Axl and Slash, but it is a continuation of GnR mark VIII with members from Mark I rejoining the band.

Edited by GnRDuff1
Reasons
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, GnRDuff1 said:

This is all incorrect. You think they were somehow swindled into playing with the "2 bozos"? They are obviously at least content with playing the new material to accept the money to do it. This is a reunion of Axl and Slash, but it is a continuation of GnR mark VIII with members from Mark I rejoining the band.

Just because they agreed to do it does not mean there will be chemistry. I bet that Slash and Duff get along well with the 2 bozos, but that has nothing to do with onstage chemistry. Slash and Duff have returned to something that doesn't belong to them. Chemistry is not something you can manufacture.

3 hours ago, SWINGTRADER said:

Just because they agreed to do it does not mean there will be chemistry. I bet that Slash and Duff get along well with the 2 bozos, but that has nothing to do with onstage chemistry. Slash and Duff have returned to something that doesn't belong to them. Chemistry is not something you can manufacture.

Think about it though. Slash and Steven have been friends since they were 12 and played together from day 1 pretty much. That's 10 years of "chemistry building" before AFD gets released.  Duff, Slash and Steven were in Road Crew (I believe) before AFD came out. Chemistry is not manufactured, but also not spontaneous, it is built through playing together and getting in each other's minds as musicians. I thoroughly believe by the end of the tour they will be gelling like crazy. Maybe not Frank, but Richard will find his spot with Slash and "chemistry" will abound.

4 hours ago, SWINGTRADER said:

Does anyone think Axl's going to enjoy a drug addict he didn't get along with in the first place and has had no use for in 26 years being around? Izzy, sure, but Izzy has to want to be around to be around. 

• Like 1

They were never overtly jolly even on the UYI dvds. Everyone was f'd up back then. Axl seemed to have more fun once CD was out. 

But really bands have to concentrate on stage. I notiiced this watching The Stones, even Keith Richards has to focus. But what Guns don't do much is yuck it up. Slash doesn't like Axl talkiing between songs so I can't see him doing a Keef solo bow. But on Live in Manchester Slash introduces Myles. So maybe when Axl introduces Slash, Slash can jump on a mic and shout "And Mr Axl Fuckin Rose on vocals!" Then everyone starts slapping each others asses and telling knock knock jokes.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Modano09 said:

Does anyone think Axl's going to enjoy a drug addict he didn't get along with in the first place and has had no use for in 26 years being around? Izzy, sure, but Izzy has to want to be around to be around. 

Exactly plus he sued the band over being removed cause he was so addicted he couldn't play. That has to hang over their heads. Steven is very sensitive and is constantly relapsing. The last 20 interviews he gave which were during the reunion rumors he said Slash and Duff don't like him and don't trust he's clean. He kept saying that so perhaps there is something to that.

His book he talks about how Slash and Duff ignored him and wouldn't hang out or party with him saying it pushed him further into drugs. I just feel Slash and Duff don't need that right now. Steven is a great drummer but he has to be handled with kid gloves at times.

I think it's like any band they have their ups and downs. I also think there is still magic there and it will grow again.

Also I find it disrespectful to Axl as an artist to say remove CD songs from the set. 

So many ask for Axl to do VR songs and I'd love to hear him do some but I think he's right in not doing them. That was a rough time between them and some of those songs Slash brought to Axl to do. Plus with Scott passing and all the issues he and Axl had I think it's best he don't least he not be said to disrespect his memory by some fans of his.

Duff does a few solos though he does covers.

CD happened and many like those songs.

Edited by BOSSY78
smart phones suck
  • Like 1

On April 29, 2016 at 4:42 PM, Babooshka said:

Yeah, in some interview he made a comment about how they never took a moment to really enjoy their success. Like, they never went to dinner together, which surprised me.

They didn't really have a chance. No band has blown up as fast as GN'R did. At the snap of a finger they went from a club band to the biggest thing in the world.