Was GN'R ever a happy band?

I don't mean in terms of lyricism obviously but like, just enjoying themselves live or otherwise? W/ the regrouping been watchin a ton of old clips from 88-93 nd they didn't seem to enjoy each other's company much even then...there seems to always been an underlying sorta tension. And with the 'regrouping', everyone just seems to be phoning it in outside of Axl N' Richard...In so far as no one seems motivated or pepped up live besides those two. I'm not expectin everyone to be best friends but it doesn't seem like the boys have ever enjoyed each other's company at least on stage.

17 minutes ago, HeartbreakerWoman said:

I don't mean in terms of lyricism obviously but like, just enjoying themselves live or otherwise? W/ the regrouping been watchin a ton of old clips from 88-93 nd they didn't seem to enjoy each other's company much even then...there seems to always been an underlying sorta tension. And with the 'regrouping', everyone just seems to be phoning it in outside of Axl N' Richard...In so far as no one seems motivated or pepped up live besides those two. I'm not expectin everyone to be best friends but it doesn't seem like the boys have ever enjoyed each other's company at least on stage.

countless videos from the 80's 90's would suggest otherwise

I wonder if Dizzy is happy right now. He has been in the band for ages. and now Duff and Slash come back and he is nowhere to be seen in promotion and not considered as something important by the marketing people.

Not that i blame them for not doing marketing with dizzy's face also, cause he doesnt drag any people to the shows. But i could understand him, if he wasnt so happy about it

Edited by xBrownstonex

I think Steven and Slash enjoyed it the most. The rest certainly enjoyed the rush of playing their music in front of devoted fans, but it came with various problems for them: Duff suffered from anxiety attacks; Axl is rumoured to have stage freight and always struggled with the dynamics between artist and fans, especially being able to give it all when fans weren't thouroughly into it, he was also pissed off a lot of the time and it seems to him the gigs were a way to blow off steam; while Izzy enjoyed it in the beginning but not when it all grew too big.

This isn't Bon Jovi or Poison or (insert thousands of other bands)- they aren't gonna smile and showboat (well Fortus would fit in good with those bands).   As as Dizzy- who cares?   Are they motivated- have you been to any of the shows this year?   They are kicking ass!   They rehearsed big time obviously, and they are blazing through all the hits and we have Coma back.   Slash- he's not CC Deville, he's always just done his shit without guitar flips and smiling and pointing.   I have a feeling the guys are more than thrilled.  

"happy" is not a word you think of with a band like GNR. "anger", "attitude" or even "danger" seem more appropriate accolades.

I don't want this band to be one big happy family. I much prefer their current aura of mystery and chaos. Can you imagine a new album being inspired by happy feelings? Sex, drugs, corruption, lunacy, hookers... those are the subjects I'd like them to shed their light on some more.

Rather this, than cracking jokes with the likes of conan o brien. (I'd like for johnny depp to interview them some time though, that would be epic)

Edited by action

35 minutes ago, JimMorrison4 said:

I think part of their appeal was that they always seemed to be alot of tension and were on the verge of falling apart. Nothing's changed, really

I've always believed that AXL+IZZY joined SLASH+STEVEN and DUFF as the glue in the middle of two different factions.  They may have never lied each other from the beginning but they made good music and began to slowly see success on the Strip like none of them had seen before.  That and the increasing $ they made turned them into a band but the bonds were only as strong as the success.

Once they got huge, each had their own ego, $, houses, and drug additions, they easily fell apart.  Axl had the most level head and tried to save the name at the cost of the members.

I think that being in gnr is like a job.

I spent most of my day with my collegues; we stay together in the same room for 8 hrs, we talk and laugh most of the time, but being friends and having fun is different for me. I go out with other people, whom I prefer more!

Maybe for gnr members is the same.. 

Edited by Italian girl
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Italian girl said:

I think that being in gnr is like a job.

I spent most of my day with my collegues; we stay together in the same room for 8 hrs, we talk and laugh most of the time, but being friends and having fun is different, for me. I go out with other people, whom I prefer more!

Maybe for gnr members is the same.. 

Yeah GnR never seemed to be like a family of group of good friends. Not that it should be. If they release awesome music they can hate each other. Look at Slash's solo band, they hang out together almost all the time and on stage they look much more comfortable with each other. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, xBrownstonex said:

I wonder if Dizzy is happy right now. He has been in the band for ages. and now Duff and Slash come back and he is nowhere to be seen in promotion and not considered as something important by the marketing people.

Not that i blame them for not doing marketing with dizzy's face also, cause he doesnt drag any people to the shows. But i could understand him, if he wasnt so happy about it

Then he must not have been happy since the start, because when they hired him Axl decided to be a piano player again and as a result he plays on less than half of the songs on the UYI albums... his contribution hasn't been a lot from the moment he joined the band and he's still part of it. So I think he's probably happy making good money with music and considers himself lucky not having to get a real job since joining the band. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nicklord said:

Yeah GnR never seemed to be like a family of group of good friends.

I disagree with that. They lived together for months at a time when they were dirt poor on the Sunset Strip. Duff said their first tour was a nightmare (nicknamed the Hell Tour) and they bonded during that time. After that they were like a gang. Once they got rich, it all changed.

• Like 3

I would say 1985-87 was their happiest period, ironically when they were broke. 

During that period they were a band of brothers living together in squalor, trying to make it and get signed. 

Once the drug taking increased to epic levels, they got rich living separate lives and Axl's personality grew ever more unbearable, things became difficult. 

Edited by Original GNR
  • Like 4

No.  They were never happy or content.  The drug issues, Axl's pschology issues or what ever always kept them in turmoil.  As I recall, the record execs wanted to get appetite out before they self destructed.  They have always been a volatile mess.  From what I have seen from the last few glimpses of Axl with the media and from the Vegas concert I was at, this is the most content and happy Axl I have seen.  I hope they are all at a good place.  If the drugs and women issues are no longer a part of this, they can actually go out and have fun and play their asses off.  I hope the pressure is off as far as always being asked about a reunion and they can focus on the music.  Ultimately, I would love to hear some new music.  

People always say it was getting rich that pushed them apart, but was it? When you're young you can make friends with many people, and then as you get older, you eventually grow out of some of those relationships. If they were close, a lot of the communication problems they had wouldn't have arisen imo. Being in a band forces people to stay together when they would've naturally drifted apart. 

With or without money, people grow, people change. 

Edited by Babooshka

Lyke in Duff's book he says he told Axl they weren't the kinda band to high five one another which made him sad...I mean guys look at the Stones they hate each other but when they're on stage the magic is still there n' theyre older men...Slash an Duff just dont seem happy..Theres no chemistry...Lok at Led Zeppelin in their days, those boys were not only sexy tarts but they genuinely had fun performing and making their music, since 1989 or so, its always seemed tense under the surface. I don't think a record inspired by happy feelings would be too bad, it'd be a nice changeup...Can't stay gloomy and angry at the world when youre 50s...I just want the boys to enjoy what they do and they just seem to be goin thru the motions which is sad. Been lookin forward to seeing them all my life and its a bummer.