DJ Ashba: Axl Rose Wanted Me To Be A Part Of Guns N' Roses Reunion

love to hate dj, but i cant. this whole situation is a mess (as per usual. this is gnr country). part of me pities dj. then again, this is 

our personal happy ending. casualties were bound to happen. everyone in that band knew they were standing on sinking sand

Edited by action

1 minute ago, killuridols said:

Can we believe that actually happened or is it DJ being self-important?

I'd be inclined to think it was bullshit, but then I remember that Axl hired this dipwad in the first place and played with him for six years. So who knows.

Props to Dj for being a class act. He truly understood the magnitude of this reunion, hence the reason why he stepped aside and declined the offer... I admit it would have been tremendously awkward watching Dj and Slash side by side as much visually as the fact that Dj isn't rhythm guitar player by any means...

One of the many things I respect in him is that he is a huge Guns N' Roses fan, unlike Fortus and Ferrer who come across simply as paid individuals...

Well...that explains why he was my favorite guitarist in post-Slash era GnR...

As for Axl...well he sure has some twisted mind..

It seems like it's not so much "Axl wanted me to be in the reunion" as much as it's "Axl wasn't going to fire me for the reunion" so to speak. This adds more weight to Axl being surprised when DJ quit as it was mentioned. Originally it was probably going to remain a three-guitar attack (useless when Slash is there) with Slash and Duff just replacing Bumble and Tommy. I'm glad DJ was smart enough to leave. I'm also glad Axl respects Slash enough (and Fortus for that matter) to trust the return to a two-guitar attack and not insist on a third player. Crisis averted I'd say.

• Like 1

I actually liked DJ, he was good live as far as interacting with the crowd.  All the non hardcore gnr fans that have went with me to a few of the concerts all asked who he was and said they liked him.  He may not be Slash, but he served a purpose.  I do respect the fact that if this is true, he did the right thing and backed out, and didn't let his ego get in the way.  This is really the best scenario for us fans.  I still can't believe Slash and Duff are back in the band.  I truly never thought it would happen.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, James Bond said:

It seems like it's not so much "Axl wanted me to be in the reunion" as much as it's "Axl wasn't going to fire me for the reunion" so to speak. 

This. 

Probably something like ''You can stay if you like''...Or at least I hope so, I hope Axl is not really THAT crazy :P

• Like 1

This is the direct quote from Metal Insider.

It seems like its working out well for everyone. Did you know that the GNR reunion was going to happen this year? 

Absolutely. In fact, Axl wanted me to be a part of it. I couldn’t be more happy for it happening. I was stoked to find out about it, people have got to remember, If I wasn’t a fan of the band, I wouldn’t have joined the band. I have great admiration for Axl, Slash and Duff and, Steven, Izzy and everybodys put into that thing. I have even more respect now after playing in the band for so many years. I couldn’t be more happy, I’m just a biggest fan as I’ve always been, I’m so happy for the fans that they get to go out there and see at least half of the band reunited, its a big deal. This is what the fans have been wanting, me included in that. I just didnt feel like it was my place. If Slash has come back, I couldnt be more happy, this is great. At that point, its best I go do what I’m really good at doing. Its kind of the best of both worlds, I get to have my favorite band back and I get to go play in my favorite band again. Its a win win.

Fair play to DJ. If this is true, he did the right thing by bowing out. He really is a fan.

And if it wasn't clear already that Axl getting hold of GNR was the worst thing to happen, it now should be.

The implications are interesting. What would be the aims of a reunion with DJ? I can't see new music. 

If anything this shows Ashba is a true GNR fan and wasn't just in it for the paycheck. Because he had to have known this tour would make much more money then any of the NuGuns tours. If he wanted the money he would have stayed and probably made a few million off of this tour, but he stepped down and did what a GNR fan would do. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, liers said:

No one got booted. Bumble left and Tommy left... Axl had a bass spot and a lead guitar spot. He had 3 choices... Fill the bass spot and have DJ be sole lead, fill lead and bass with random musicians, or bring back 2 former members he now got along with... I think he made the right choice. If Frank quit, we'd probably see Matt or brain back.

EXACTLY!

I don't understand why this is such s hard concept for so many to grasp....

What it proves is that this is really a continuation of NuGNR. If he didn't quit, there'd be 3 guitar players. What follows from this is that S & D simply joined the band on A terms. There was never any talk about Steven & Izzy. Stevie might have begged his way in for a couple of shows as a guest, but if Izzy didn't make the move he might have never been asked. And the conclusion is that there's very little chance for this band to release any new music. Even in the UYI era (when S&D had lots to say about where the band was heading) they had trouble releasing music. On Axl terms nothing ever happens. By the way, now I understand why this was never advertised as a reunion but "A & S playing together for the first time since...". It was not because they knew it wouldn't be a full reunion - it was because nothing absolutely changed in the band / partnership. This also explains why S & D have obliged with the gag order - they have no impact whatsoever on the management of the band. Expensive, but still hired hands just like the other musicians in the lineup.

• Like 3