DJ Ashba: Axl Rose Wanted Me To Be A Part Of Guns N' Roses Reunion

Great respect for DJ. Shows he's a class act for doing this. 

He knew the difference between the "real" GNR and the replacement one, and respected what the fans wanted. 

It's a shame others didn't do the same.  

• Like 4

Don't buy it at all. Another one trying to make himself a hero and using the occasion. Don't believe Axl is so stupid as to believe it would work. It's obvious he had to make choice and just as obvious what the choice would be! 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Asia said:

Don't buy it at all. Another one trying to make himself a hero and using the occasion. Don't believe Axl is so stupid as to believe it would work. It's obvious he had to make choice and just as obvious what the choice would be! 

I agree, I don't buy it either. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Asia said:

Don't buy it at all. Another one trying to make himself a hero and using the occasion. Don't believe Axl is so stupid as to believe it would work.

It's the same Axl who brought his childhood friend to record over Slash we're talking about :lol:

Edited by The Glow Inc.
  • Like 3

the more that this "reunion" unravels...the less GNR it seems to be. I can't believe Slash and Duff would've bent over and accepted DJ in the fold.

Now I understand Melissa and Frank.

The ayatollah still rules.

30 minutes ago, Bulldog said:

I agree, I don't buy it either. 

And why not? Axl has shown time and time again over the past years that he values personal relationships a lot, including putting them those above possibly more lucrative professional relationships. From what they've released on social media, I've always got the vibe that these two (Axl and Ashba) were close, as in they were actual friends. I don't find at all unbelievable that he'd want his friend in the band, just like he's been keeping his 'family' in band management.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, The Glow Inc. said:

It's the same Axl who brought his childhood friend to record over Slash we're talking about :lol:

It's a different story. At first, I think, Axl genuinly thought this would work with Huge and then he was angry at Slash and just being vicious. Don't think he was willing to be vicious just before the reunion. Also Slash made it pretty obvious what he thought of the guy in a top hat whose name he couldn't recall...

3 hours ago, Bumble's Bridge Pickup said:

Agreed. Also, in the past, the thing about the 3 guitarists was that each of them had a distinctive style. But with Slash on stage, DJ would really come across as a copycat and would serve no purpose.

Yep. Can't imagine seeing two top hats on stage. One being the original and one being...oh well..

55 minutes ago, Asia said:

This.

Ashba saw NuGNR was going nowhere, he wants his own legacy (Sixx AM, AshbaSWAG), and NuGNR wasn't giving him that. His "no" to Axl may have been partially fueled by genuine appreciation for the original band, but I'd bet my left arm that it was mostly because he was sick of being known as "the guy who plays Slash's songs poorly." 

I maintain: Fuck DJ.  

Wake up and smell the BS

Its really obvius what happened there.  This is all a carrere move to wash a little that terrible "replace 2nd hand face" him and bumblefoot got .  they both got fired, but bomble did smell that something weird was going on since 2012/2013

Dont get me wrong, i respect very much both guys, but it is what it is. 

I loved very much that "new guns era" ( went i couple of shows myself). But once slash and duff are back and were living all of this?? Its like . " ok, this is the real deal" 

• Like 1

First of all Thank whoever made this possible - above or below. Secondly, DJ sounds humble and he knew it was not, his place to be in GnR with the semi reunion. I mean, maybe? they could have justified justified him being there if Richard had quit to go full time with the dead daisies.. but DJ is no way near as good a rhythm player, not even getting in to the lead playing. 

I kinda believe the story that Axl was shocked when DJ quit.

Lastly, it seems Eddie Trunk was on to something when he said DJ quitting must mean reunion talks. I wonder was that what Bumble eventually quit over? they hardly wanted to keep Bumble too though? four guitarists :P 

Edited by Tom2112

For some odd reason this is amusing me to no end. 

Axl is pretty known to be stupidly loyal to people as long as they say on his good side. So I could see him not wanting to kick people out of the band when they've stuck with him.

I am now picturing a scenario where Duff ever so nicely makes friends with all the NuGNR members then follows it up by gently encouraging them to go find somewhere else to be or else.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, madison said:

Great respect for DJ. Shows he's a class act for doing this. 

He knew the difference between the "real" GNR and the replacement one, and respected what the fans wanted. 

It's a shame others didn't do the same.  

Yawn...

3 hours ago, Asia said:

Choice between what exactly though? Ashba alone or slash?! What about Bumblefoot?

I mean, if you think about it, look at where this band was in 2014. Axl knew during the last Vegas run that Stinson probably was not coming back, Tommy said himself he told axl over the last few tour legs that he wanted out and you could tell axl was heading towards bringing duff back full time. So then Bumblefoot wants out, and Axl refusing to rip GNR apart and continue the thing knows he needs a lead guitarist. And since Duff helped be the middle man and ease tensions, axl made up with slash. So at that point, axls intent was to probably have slash replace Bumble.

Now I remind you, nowhere in that intent does slash necessarily agree to a role returning just yet. I think for slash dj leaving was the icing on the cake knowing he'd get his full role back. I mean, he is sharing SOME solo duties with Richard. It just seems all more likely that dj saw the line in the sand and didn't want to infuriate the fans anymore by trying to hang with slash in this band. So he did the classy thing and bowed out. 

6 hours ago, Lies They Tell said:

Okay, so now it's confirmed that a reunion was in the works already before DJ quit the band. I knew it, even though some insiders tried to claim otherwise. :D Damn, I've been right about pretty much everything considering this reunion.

I was right there with you too thinking and saying that exact same thing. Just had that reunion feeling going, and my old posts prove it too. But holy smokes I have no doubt slash and duff would have definitely denied any chance of ashba swag being involved in this reunion.