DJ Ashba: Axl Rose Wanted Me To Be A Part Of Guns N' Roses Reunion

It would be interesting to know exactly what  the current power dynamics are. Axl may still have the slight upper hand but Slash specifically has some major leverage. One he's a star on his own and him being back has GN'R selling out stadiums or getting really close all around America. Axl's GN'R was barely half filling many arenas around here the last 10 years.

9 hours ago, Billsfan said:

Choice between what exactly though? Ashba alone or slash?! What about Bumblefoot?

I mean, if you think about it, look at where this band was in 2014. Axl knew during the last Vegas run that Stinson probably was not coming back, Tommy said himself he told axl over the last few tour legs that he wanted out and you could tell axl was heading towards bringing duff back full time. So then Bumblefoot wants out, and Axl refusing to rip GNR apart and continue the thing knows he needs a lead guitarist. And since Duff helped be the middle man and ease tensions, axl made up with slash. So at that point, axls intent was to probably have slash replace Bumble.

Now I remind you, nowhere in that intent does slash necessarily agree to a role returning just yet. I think for slash dj leaving was the icing on the cake knowing he'd get his full role back. I mean, he is sharing SOME solo duties with Richard. It just seems all more likely that dj saw the line in the sand and didn't want to infuriate the fans anymore by trying to hang with slash in this band. So he did the classy thing and bowed out. 

The decision of Slash returning to GN'R or not was far beyond DJ or Bumble or anyone in that band. Slash is the man who made GNR (ok, one of the five men who made GNR) and for God's sake, it wasn't that he was outside of that band because Axl preferred DJ Ashba. It is more than obvious that once it was settled that both Axl and Slash were ready to do this, there was no way in the world that someone  like DJ or Bumble could have stood in the way. They had to leave, either on their own or they'd be asked out. Axl wouldn't give up the reunion with the best guitar player he ever had who can additionally bring him the millions he could only dream of otherwise just because he'd like to be loyal to DJ Ashba. To think that is both naive and crazy.

Thinking Slash returned because Ashba and Bumble left is plain crazy. Of course they left because Slash returned.

The option of Ashba staying with Slash was out of the question and surely Axl knew it. So I smell BS in what DJ says. It's meant to put him in a much better light. It's a - "Oh, I was so improtant Axl would take me over anything but I just had to quit for the good of the world" - pathethic kind of bullshit. That's all. Unless it's true and he just didn't mentioned he was offered to stay as an assistant to Slash's guitar tech.

Edited by Asia
  • Like 4

17 hours ago, SWINGTRADER said:

This dude would have been part of the reunion but not Steven or Izzy.

This band is so screwed up.

I think you are forgetting that Steven hasn't been a part of this band nor Izzy in over 20 years. You can't expect Axl to just fire a guy who in his mind has stood by him through a lot. Between Stevens drugs and law suits I don't think I'd want to just jump back into that either. When will people understand despite what Izzy says on Facebook he has never been into touring a lot. There is  the issue. They are touring.

I happen to think it's admirable of Axl to try in some way to involve those that were still with him in any way. Perhaps DJ could have done some guest appearances or some CD songs. 

I also admire DJ for not doing that. I do believe it's true because when the rumors were going around he said he was excited as a fan for the rumors. He's a classy guy no matter.

Edited by BOSSY78
autocorrect

4 hours ago, Asia said:

The decision of Slash returning to GN'R or not was far beyond DJ or Bumble or anyone in that band. Slash is the man who made GNR (ok, one of the five men who made GNR) and for God's sake, it wasn't that he was outside of that band because Axl preferred DJ Ashba. It is more than obvious that once it was settled that both Axl and Slash were ready to do this, there was no way in the world that someone  like DJ or Bumble could have stood in the way. They had to leave, either on their own or they'd be asked out. Axl wouldn't give up the reunion with the best guitar player he ever had who can additionally bring him the millions he could only dream of otherwise just because he'd like to be loyal to DJ Ashba. To think that is both naive and crazy.

Thinking Slash returned because Ashba and Bumble left is plain crazy. Of course they left because Slash returned. 

Agreed. I find it amusing when some people claim that Slash and Duff were just "replacing" guys who left - nothing more.  Apparently, they ridiculously believe that when Ron and Tommy left, Axl went around wondering - 'Gee, who could I get to replace these two replacement members now. Hmmm, maybe Slash and Duff are available - I think I'll ask them."   This always makes me LOL. 

As Asia pointed out in this post, clearly it was a huge milestone when Axl mended fences with Slash and Duff. And once that happened, replacement members had to be booted out to make room for them. And since talks date back several years, I'm guessing Ron and Tommy knew this was in the works, which is why they respectfully left. I love Ron, btw, because he's always cared about the fans. 

As for DJ - he hung around as long as he could, but he too knew this was a reunion of the original lineup. I totally believe him though that Axl offered him a spot to stay. (Remember, Axl is the guy who brought in Paul back in the day).  But DJ knew the difference between the "real" GNR and the replacement one, and respected what the fans wanted.  I tip my hat to DJ. He's a class act. It's a shame other replacement members didn't do the same. 

Edited by madison

4 hours ago, Asia said:

The option of Ashba staying with Slash was out of the question and surely Axl knew it. So I smell BS in what DJ says. It's meant to put him in a much better light. It's a - "Oh, I was so improtant Axl would take me over anything but I just had to quit for the good of the world" - pathethic kind of bullshit. That's all. Unless it's true and he just didn't mentioned he was offered to stay as an assistant to Slash's guitar tech.

Not sure if you were arguing me? Oh well..

No Axl intended on slash returning when Bunble quit. What do you think he would have done otherwise? And no, Axl could have cared less. Axl wanted Zack Wylde, slash didn't. Axl wanted robin finck initially to play rhythm guitar, maybe slash felt otherwise there too. Axl would have absolutely had slash and dj together, I'm not sure of slash would have been ok with it but realistically dj would be playing the Fortus solos and that would be it.

Thinking slashs return had nothing to do with bumble and ashba leaving is what's crazy. Axl continued the last version of GNR, literally, just without the guys that quit. Axl and Slash settling their differences was seperate, and knowing Axl he had to settle a lot with slash before even thinking about putting him back in. I think dj caught wind of it and Axl said "well I won't kick you out, we can figure a role still" but dj wouldn't have it. Axl hasn't fired anybody since Matt Sorum so the idea of him kicking anyone to the curb unless they really screwed up like pitman is crazy also. 

What I said was Axl didn't want to fire anybody. He would have made it work. Bumble and Tommy quitting allowed duff and slash to come back in a sense to Axl because his me supergroup needed two people. Dj quitting put slash wanting to come back over. 

Edited by Billsfan

Blugh, I never understood Axl's fascination with Ashba. He's a poor player, looks like a total douche (and acts the part) and only spews bullshit that isn't true. Out of all the guitar players GnR has had, he is the worst by a landslide. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, BOSSY78 said:

I think you are forgetting that Steven hasn't been a part of this band nor Izzy in over 20 years. You can't expect Axl to just fire a guy who in his mind has stood by him through a lot. Between Stevens drugs and law suits I don't think I'd want to just jump back into that either. When will people understand despite what Izzy says on Facebook he has never been into touring a lot. There is  the issue. They are touring.

I happen to think it's admirable of Axl to try in some way to involve those that were still with him in any way. Perhaps DJ could have done some guest appearances or some CD songs. 

I also admire DJ for not doing that. I do believe it's true because when the rumors were going around he said he was excited as a fan for the rumors. He's a classy guy no matter.

The fact that Axl asked him to stay, shows that this thing is only temporary and that Slash will be gone from the band again. As far as Axl is concerned this is still NUGNR. It is great to see Slash and Duff on stage under the GNR name again, but this is still Axl's band. The guys have no input except for what was agreed to in the contract. That is why they will never record together again.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Stress Fracture said:

Next week's interview with a NuGNR member...

"Those three old losers all got on their knees and begged me to stay as part of their charade. It was a pitiful sight. Without a moment's hestitation I picked up my towel and walked through the door. The band that I helped build was already dead and Chris Pitman don't play at no funeral."

That's a little uncalled for mr ferrar!

Wonder if DJ is full of shit?   Maybe some revisionist history going on in Ashba's head.   That or Axl asked him to stay with him n Duff etc....before Slash was back in picture.  That or maybe all the drugs have fried DJ's brain.   

• Like 1