AXL/DC Rehearsal video

goneshootin

20 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Brian released ten studio albums with AC/DC, one of them a masterpiece, quite a few of them good, and played countless tours and you lot are saying 'this is the greatest line-up since Bon' because of a little clip of Thunderstruck? What the hell!

This is just a contingency thing, a second choice path-up to fill some dates. It can never remotely be considered better than Brian era for multiple reasons.

Total insult to Brian in truth/

One guy said it. Stop generalizing everyone else based on a single comment. I agree with you that Axl is just helping them finish a tour (one that never should have started). Nothing more and nothing less.

I respect everything Brian did over the years. Axl sounds surprisingly good on Thunderstruck, a very difficult vocal song that Brian himself can't sing anymore. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bigpoop said:

Malcolm, Phil and Brian all gone and it's the best since the Bon era?   I don't think so.

Stevie basically is Malcolm. Close your eyes and you wouldn't know he's missing. Besides, his absence is 100% unavoidable. Slade is the best drummer AC/DC ever had anyways, I'd have dropped Phil for him in a heartbeat regardless of the circumstances. And as I said earlier in the thread, I am a massive Brian fan, but based the the little bit we've heard so far Axl is singing these songs better than Brian ever has. 

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

Brian released ten studio albums with AC/DC, one of them a masterpiece, quite a few of them good, and played countless tours and you lot are saying 'this is the greatest line-up since Bon' because of a little clip of Thunderstruck? What the hell!

This is just a contingency thing, a second choice path-up to fill some dates. It can never remotely be considered better than Brian era for multiple reasons.

Total insult to Brian in truth/

Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

4 minutes ago, Powerage5 said:

Stevie basically is Malcolm. Close your eyes and you wouldn't know he's missing. Besides, his absence is 100% unavoidable. Slade is the best drummer AC/DC ever had anyways, I'd have dropped Phil for him in a heartbeat regardless of the circumstances. And as I said earlier in the thread, I am a massive Brian fan, but based the the little bit we've heard so far Axl is singing these songs better than Brian ever has. 

Stevie is not  basically Malcolm, and no way is Chris Slade a better drummer than Phil Rudd. Fuck.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Chilliconcarne said:

Please forgive my ignorance, but what do you mean by downtuned? 

No forgiveness necessary :) GN'R normally tune their instruments lower (by half a note), which makes it easier for Axl to sing high notes. This is a common practice, and many bands do it (Van Halen with David Lee Roth, Metallica does it live and has several albums with downtuned guitars (Load, Reload, Garage Inc.), etc.). AC/DC's albums are almost entirely in standard tuning, but starting with the last tour, they started tuning their guitars lower by a half a note (for example, the 6th string is an E flat instead of an E) to help compensate for Brian's loss in vocal range. The clips we have heard have the guitars in standard tuning (not downtuned), so Axl is singing the songs in their original key, something Brian wasn't able to do anymore. This is cool (and impressive)!

I play guitar, so I know a little about this. I hope this answered your question :) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Powerage5 said:

You cannot be that much of a ''massive Brian fan'' if all it takes to convince you, that 'this line-up is better than the line-up' which gave you ten albums including Back in Black and over thirty years of touring, is a tiny little poor quality clip! AC/DC are a legacy act, and an extremely old legacy act at that; this line-up are probably not going to put out any albums (heck, Axl cannot even put out albums with his own band), DC may never put out another album out again, may never play with Axl again beyond this tour - and may in fact fold relatively soon! They are on their last gallop to the grave, like The Stones (and I hate to say it Axl if the last six years says anything) and they are far too advanced in age and heritage/legacy to think they can get away with changing their vocalist.

Or have we actually reached a stage where nobody cares about who is in a band and just wants bands filled up with the 'most technically accomplished people' at that particular moment in time, where we do not possess a bit of 'romantic' loyalty which makes us forgives somebody's frailties of age such as a declining voice? So Brian's voice is shot: you are still seeing the band which made Back in Black and Black Ice and Brian sings like a beast on Rock or Bust so his form was excellent comparatively recently, albeit in a studio environment. In fact DC's last two studio albums have some of the greatest rock n' roll vocals of the last twenty years - much better than anything I have heard from Axl. Is there not a bit of loyalty there? It is surely insult to relegate that line-up based on a tiny clip?

Besides, Sinatra was fairly ropey in the '70s and 80s but most people would still choose a Sinatra at 30% - even 10% - than a Sinatra cover artist at 100% because it is Frank Sinatra. I bet there are guitarists who can play Angus better than Angus now. Just replace Angus and have the 'ultimate DC'! Has the lessons of newgnr not taught anybody anything?

Maybe there will be bands which (officially) continue beyond the moment all members, former and present, are dead, if people are willing to pay money for shit like this AXL/DC thing? I know Simmons and Paul Stanley talked of Kiss outliving them! Maybe we are reaching a stage where nobody cares about the line-ups and teams are like a sports franchise? I find it shockingly sad if so but if people are buying tickets for tours like this, it seems we are heading there.

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, nightrain86 said:

When did gnr start downtuning songs?  Pardon the ignorance 

? They haven't ever. Up until CD it was always Eb tuning. Then CD is mostly Eb but with some odd tunings/drop tunings.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, nightrain86 said:

Oh ok, I was just replying to ipgnr's post that said they tune lower for the high notes.

I know nothing about this kind of stuff so was just curious lol

Ah I see now. Well to be honest the guitar tuning has nothing to do with the notes being easier for Axl to sing since they were originally written in Eb. A lot of GNR songs in Eb have higher notes than ACDC songs in E, if you understand what I mean. It's only when you take an ACDC song that's in E and tune down half a step to Eb, so every note Brian sings is slightly lower - which is what they've done in recent years.

Edited by MrSoftie

4 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Maybe we are reaching a stage where nobody cares about the line-ups and teams are like a sports franchise? I find it shockingly sad if so but if people are buying tickets for tours like this, it seems we are heading there.

People still care about sports lineups. Just think of Manchester United's Class of 92.

Why would you be sad if some bands started to live beyond specific lineups, maybe even take on perpetual life? How would that affect you? You could still watch and listen to specific performances from old lineups and not listen to those you don't like. The fact that the band, in name, still existed should't have any bearings on you whatsoever....unless, of course, your appreciation of music has less to do with music and more to do with being emotionally attached to band members and romatic notions of lineup brotherhoods.

Axl gives ACDC what they have needed for more than 30 years. With all respect to Brian (yes, is outing was kind of abrupt and unsentimental by Angus), but Axl lives and breathes what Bon Scott stood for. Everything I have heard so far by Axl with Angus / the wohle band, sound amazing. Axl Rose will make Angus young again.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Powerage5 said:

Malcolm Young is irreplaceable and on a completely different plane to Stevie.  Stevie Young is a good player, and dependable but Malcolm was a metronomic, rhythmic beast.  His playing is the backbone of AC/DC alongside Phil Rudd.  Rudd has a simplistic, natural, tight feel that is very distinctive.   It's sort of like the Izzy and Steven factor in GnR... Their parts can be covered but never ever sound the same.  AC/DC recorded Rock or Bust without Mal and although Stevie did a magnificent job playing in Mal's style, it is not the same.   They still remain an incredible live band, and although I am deeply saddened by the Brian situation, I am eager to hear Axl fill in.  He sounds great in those clips.  That being said, Angus Young should not try to carry on recording albums if Brian cannot be on them.  It's fine to finish a tour with a guest vocalist but a new frontman in the studio, at this point, in my opinion would be very wrong.

Just looked at AC/DC fb page...too many 'Sold my tickets' and 'Worst decision to go with Axel' comments...

It is hard to loose a singer, I understand them, but as we went (some did) with Axl is GNR (although we didn't really believed it), in AC/DC the same could go for Angus. 

When you're a real fan, you should show a respect and help the band to overcome something that is not their fault.

They chose a singer who realy fits and who is going to help...it seems to me, there were no such a comments about GNR in any moment (our forum bragging is something else, I don't feel bad here as when reading those comments).

6 minutes ago, Kater said:

Just looked at AC/DC fb page...too many 'Sold my tickets' and 'Worst decision to go with Axel' comments...

It is hard to loose a singer, I understand them, but as we went (some did) with Axl is GNR (although we didn't really believed it), in AC/DC the same could go for Angus. 

When you're a real fan, you should show a respect and help the band to overcome something that is not their fault.

They chose a singer who realy fits and who is going to help...it seems to me, there were no such a comments about GNR in any moment (our forum bragging is something else, I don't feel bad here as when reading those comments).

This tour is going to be a success, no doubt about it. Most of the i sold my ticket thing is bullshit to look cool.

Of course some of them are pissed off, but also curious.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Kater said:

if ac/dc had listened to those narrow minded fans, the band would have disappeared in 1980.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

People still care about sports lineups. Just think of Manchester United's Class of 92.

Why would you be sad if some bands started to live beyond specific lineups, maybe even take on perpetual life? How would that affect you? You could still watch and listen to specific performances from old lineups and not listen to those you don't like. The fact that the band, in name, still existed should't have any bearings on you whatsoever....unless, of course, your appreciation of music has less to do with music and more to do with being emotionally attached to band members and romatic notions of lineup brotherhoods.

It is about keeping a certain integrity and not having this prolonged end-of-career muddying of the waters. Does the fact that Sabbath and Purple under various perplexing line-ups, featuring people like Tony Martin, or even New (GN'R) with its disorienting multitudes of hirelings, effect people personally? No. But then, on that same theme, we do not really need things like music and sports, and none of this is a cure for cancer. But we do do it, and to a certain degree we become intellectual critiques, trivia finders, hierarchical organizers and emotive spectators of entertainment and art. So you take a band like Guns who were virtually flawless until 1993 and then you have all of this donkey poop after, and it changes where you place that band in the pantheon of music.

Film careers offer a simpler analogy. Imagine George Lucas's career hypothetically, if it had ended after Return of the Jedi? Now imagine Lucas's career as it actually unraveled historically, with the dreaded prequels in place? See the difference between the two? If you are a fan of the guy with the historical reality in place you are automatically on a back foot, either dismissing the prequels to strangers as a horrid aberration or offering defenses of them. And yes, Jar Jar Binks might annoy you to the point of clawing your eyes out - I have never dismissed emotive involvement in any of this.