AXL/DC Rehearsal video

goneshootin

6 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

You cannot be that much of a ''massive Brian fan'' if all it takes to convince you, that 'this line-up is better than the line-up' which gave you ten albums including Back in Black and over thirty years of touring, is a tiny little poor quality clip! AC/DC are a legacy act, and an extremely old legacy act at that; this line-up are probably not going to put out any albums (heck, Axl cannot even put out albums with his own band), DC may never put out another album out again, may never play with Axl again beyond this tour - and may in fact fold relatively soon! They are on their last gallop to the grave, like The Stones (and I hate to say it Axl if the last six years says anything) and they are far too advanced in age and heritage/legacy to think they can get away with changing their vocalist.

Or have we actually reached a stage where nobody cares about who is in a band and just wants bands filled up with the 'most technically accomplished people' at that particular moment in time, where we do not possess a bit of 'romantic' loyalty which makes us forgives somebody's frailties of age such as a declining voice? So Brian's voice is shot: you are still seeing the band which made Back in Black and Black Ice and Brian sings like a beast on Rock or Bust so his form was excellent comparatively recently, albeit in a studio environment. In fact DC's last two studio albums have some of the greatest rock n' roll vocals of the last twenty years - much better than anything I have heard from Axl. Is there not a bit of loyalty there? It is surely insult to relegate that line-up based on a tiny clip?

Besides, Sinatra was fairly ropey in the '70s and 80s but most people would still choose a Sinatra at 30% - even 10% - than a Sinatra cover artist at 100% because it is Frank Sinatra. I bet there are guitarists who can play Angus better than Angus now. Just replace Angus and have the 'ultimate DC'! Has the lessons of newgnr not taught anybody anything?

Maybe there will be bands which (officially) continue beyond the moment all members, former and present, are dead, if people are willing to pay money for shit like this AXL/DC thing? I know Simmons and Paul Stanley talked of Kiss outliving them! Maybe we are reaching a stage where nobody cares about the line-ups and teams are like a sports franchise? I find it shockingly sad if so but if people are buying tickets for tours like this, it seems we are heading there.

KISS is probably going to franchise "official" tribute bands around the world. 

Angus isn't talking about what's going on and what the future of AC/DC is going to be. He probably doesn't even know, but even when Bon passed, they wasted no time in replacing him. Keeping the tour going was probably a hard decision and eventually Angus will talk about it, he's usually been pretty blunt when they've asked him questions in the past. 

I'm interested to hear Angus discuss Axl. They must be hitting it off pretty good if they are moving forward like this. I think they will feed off each other quite well

Angus has played with some great frontmen so his opinion of Axl will be interesting

Edited by IncitingChaos

40 minutes ago, GivenToFly said:

The clips sound incredible, and I'm getting pretty hyped here, but it's still studio, not live, and Axl can be wildly inconsistent so let's keep expectations managed (says he to the GNR fan community as if that's ever happened).

What evidence do you have it's studio instead of live? 

14 minutes ago, GNRfan2008 said:

What evidence do you have it's studio instead of live? 

I should have said 'not in concert'. They're in a studio there, not in front of an audience during a proper show, so it's a controlled environment. It's not necessarily indicative, or not 100% indicative rather, of what it will sound like during the show.

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

It is about keeping a certain integrity and not having this prolonged end-of-career muddying of the waters. Does the fact that Sabbath and Purple under various perplexing line-ups, featuring people like Tony Martin, or even New (GN'R) with its disorienting multitudes of hirelings, effect people personally? No. But then, on that same theme, we do not really need things like music and sports, and none of this is a cure for cancer. But we do do it, and to a certain degree we become intellectual critiques, trivia finders, hierarchical organizers and emotive spectators of entertainment and art. So you take a band like Guns who were virtually flawless until 1993 and then you have all of this donkey poop after, and it changes where you place that band in the pantheon of music.

Film careers offer a simpler analogy. Imagine George Lucas's career hypothetically, if it had ended after Return of the Jedi? Now imagine Lucas's career as it actually unraveled historically, with the dreaded prequels in place? See the difference between the two? If you are a fan of the guy with the historical reality in place you are automatically on a back foot, either dismissing the prequels to strangers as a horrid aberration or offering defenses of them. And yes, Jar Jar Binks might annoy you to the point of clawing your eyes out - I have never dismissed emotive involvement in any of this.

Now you are using examples where the actual quality of the art has suffered. That is a different issue. I was asking you why you in general are against bands outliving their original members and why you find it sad? It is entirely conceivable that a band will release better music with a totally new lineup. But you are apparently against this on nothing but principle. Lineup stability becomes more important than the music. You also refer to Axl/DC as "shit" without having heard it, further establishing that point that to you maintaining stability is more important than the inherent value that may arise from the change.

To me, new music/performances is always better than nothing. Even if I personally don't like something I trust someone else will. I simply won't listen to it. Probem solved and someone else gets some happiness out of it :shrugs:

10 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

Just a couple short clips but he sounds better than he does in Guns in them.  Crazy.

It proves that he can still sing like 2010 if he wants to. Maybe a good YCBM or Rocket Queen aren't forever out of the question. Perhaps the initial 12 AC/DC shows are exactly what he needs to bring 110% to the Guns tour.

6 minutes ago, James Bond said:

It proves that he can still sing like 2010 if he wants to. Maybe a good YCBM or Rocket Queen aren't forever out of the question. Perhaps the initial 12 AC/DC shows are exactly what he needs to bring 110% to the Guns tour.

I see it like that too. There are many people saying axl is gonna blow out his voice with ACDC. Axl has always gotten better the longer the tour progresses, and I think this whole thing is just gonna prepare him even more for the summer shows. He can rasp Thunderstruck, Shoot To Thrill and Riff Raff really oldschool style, you can literally close your eyes and it sounds like UYI Axl vocals. so it MUST be his own decision to not pull out the rasp in stuff like YCBM. I hope that changes

Edited by StrangerInThisTown

10 minutes ago, GivenToFly said:

I should have said 'not in concert'. They're in a studio there, not in front of an audience during a proper show, so it's a controlled environment. It's not necessarily indicative, or not 100% indicative rather, of what it will sound like during the show.

Shrug. I didn't think they would play Thunderstruck at all. He sounds surprisingly good to me. 

2 hours ago, GivenToFly said:

Rehearsal space, rehearsal studio, sound studio, soundstage. I'm surprised no one got video of him just to see if he's  back on his feet. I doubt it. 

2 hours ago, James Bond said:

It proves that he can still sing like 2010 if he wants to. 

I disagree. His current voice fits certain type of songs very well. Songs like Out Ta Get Me, Nightrain and apparently most AC/DC songs fit his current voice very well. But he struggles on other type of songs like for example Sweet Child O Mine or You Could Be Mine. I don't think it's because he for some reason has decides to always save his voice on certain songs. I think it's because those songs simply don't fit his voice at the moment. Hopefully his voice will get better, but then again it's already much better than I would ever have expected.

The AC/DC shows should be good.

2 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Now you are using examples where the actual quality of the art has suffered. That is a different issue. I was asking you why you in general are against bands outliving their original members and why you find it sad? It is entirely conceivable that a band will release better music with a totally new lineup. But you are apparently against this on nothing but principle. Lineup stability becomes more important than the music. You also refer to Axl/DC as "shit" without having heard it, further establishing that point that to you maintaining stability is more important than the inherent value that may arise from the change.

To me, new music/performances is always better than nothing. Even if I personally don't like something I trust someone else will. I simply won't listen to it. Probem solved and someone else gets some happiness out of it :shrugs:

Very rare. You can count them on your hand: Deep Purple did it twice but especially with Mark 3 which just about lived up to Mark 2

Besides we are arguing about something different with Axl/DC. It is not going to have any longevity or new music as we are discussing an expedient compromise solution. Also DC (and Axl) are legacy acts, too long in the tooth to have radical line-up changes. When Brian joined, they were an upcoming international force with multiple albums ahead of them.

20 minutes ago, Lies They Tell said:

I disagree. His current voice fits certain type of songs very well. Songs like Out Ta Get Me, Nightrain and apparently most AC/DC songs fit his current voice very well. But he struggles on other type of songs like for example Sweet Child O Mine or You Could Be Mine. I don't think it's because he for some reason has decides to always save his voice on certain songs. I think it's because those songs simply don't fit his voice at the moment. Hopefully his voice will get better, but then again it's already much better than I would ever have expected.

The AC/DC shows should be good.

I think he just knows where to "save his voice" so to speak. It's clear that he struggles on the mid-range stuff so it's probably not worth it to him to strain to sing SCOM, for example, in full rasp mode. He probably could do it but figures he just sing it clean and get away with it. He probably hurt pretty bad after the 2010 shows, but knowing he has to bring it for both bands this year I wouldn't be surprised if he's trying to find an in between. Studio work could definitely be 2010 level where he isn't doing a 2+ hour show. Live we'll probably continue to get Mexico/Coachella level where some songs are absolutely outstanding and some songs he cuts corners a bit. All the more reason to bring back easy songs like Bad Obsession and Pretty Tied Up for extra vocal breaks.

AC/DC he won't really get a break. If he full rasps those songs then I have no doubt the 2010 consistency could still exist if he wanted it to. It's probably just not wise to do it for the sake of his voice.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IncitingChaos said:

I'm interested to hear Angus discuss Axl. They must be hitting it off pretty good if they are moving forward like this. I think they will feed off each other quite well

Angus has played with some great frontmen so his opinion of Axl will be interesting

I think if he likes it, he should go for it. All lot a fans would be really angry if CDII is like CD. All they want is AppetiteII. Right? Then there you go, full album with ac/dc.

Eb sound great with the rasp, just like Tony did with Dio. Ozzy era was half the time in standard, Reality, Vol.4, SBS, Sabotage were eb.

27 minutes ago, James Bond said:

I think he just knows where to "save his voice" so to speak. It's clear that he struggles on the mid-range stuff so it's probably not worth it to him to strain to sing SCOM, for example, in full rasp mode. He probably could do it but figures he just sing it clean and get away with it. He probably hurt pretty bad after the 2010 shows, but knowing he has to bring it for both bands this year I wouldn't be surprised if he's trying to find an in between. Studio work could definitely be 2010 level where he isn't doing a 2+ hour show. Live we'll probably continue to get Mexico/Coachella level where some songs are absolutely outstanding and some songs he cuts corners a bit. All the more reason to bring back easy songs like Bad Obsession and Pretty Tied Up for extra vocal breaks.

AC/DC he won't really get a break. If he full rasps those songs then I have no doubt the 2010 consistency could still exist if he wanted it to. It's probably just not wise to do it for the sake of his voice.

Sweet Child didn't have rasp in the studio version, so I'm not sure why people want that in the live version. As long as there is power behind it, that's the main thing.

Edited by GNRfan2008
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, supercool said:

brian sounds like shit, angus took the right decision.

It's sad to see the precipitous fall that Brian's live performances have taken. I mean, it's been a slow steady climb down over the years, followed by a jump off the cliff.

Even a couple of years ago, he was pretty good, though nowhere near spectacular - 

From what we've heard, short of a Rock in Rio 2011 meltdown, Axl should be easily able to best this.

Just now, danijel00 said:

yeah, it's on basically every bigger music site...and the comments are way more positive now then before :)

:)  good job and congrats to you!!!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, James Bond said:

I agree that in the studio he perhaps could sing songs like SCOM with full power, but I don't think he could do it in a 2+ hour show these days. On the other hand I don't think it's impossible that Axl could pull of full rasp AC/DC shows, because those songs seem to fit his current voice perfectly. He seems to be able to sing them with rasp pretty effortlessly. But we'll have to wait and see. Maybe it could get though for him without any breaks. Anyway it's a whole different thing to sing those AC/DC songs with rasp compared to songs like YCBM.

In 2010 his voice was so good that he could do 2+ GNR shows with full rasp. He can't do it with his current voice. But he just might be able to do these AC/DC shows with full rasp. Likewise if they would replace songs like SCOM and YCBM with easier songs like Pretty Tied Up, he probably could do full rasp GNR shows even with his current voice.

That's the way I see it.

Oh, and I'm not sure if mid-range is necessarily Axl's biggest problem right now. He sounds great when he's screaming with a mid-range voice. To put it really simple, Axl sounds amazing when he's screaming and he sounds weaker when he's singing. (Of course songs like Don't Cry are an exception.) Anyway AC/DC songs are all about screaming, so that's why he is sounding so good.

Edited by Lies They Tell
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Very rare. You can count them on your hand: Deep Purple did it twice but especially with Mark 3 which just about lived up to Mark 2

Besides we are arguing about something different with Axl/DC. It is not going to have any longevity or new music as we are discussing an expedient compromise solution. Also DC (and Axl) are legacy acts, too long in the tooth to have radical line-up changes. When Brian joined, they were an upcoming international force with multiple albums ahead of them.

Well.....Slash was gone too long, right? It was VERY radical!!