AXL/DC Rehearsal video

goneshootin

17 hours ago, Powerage5 said:

I think this is the weakest one so far. It's not bad, but he's sounding a little strained. But it's an absolute fucker to sing, and he's going for it, so credit where credit's due.

Thanks for coming out and saying it. I wanted to, but was kind of discouraged. Hells Bells is my favorite song after Rosie. It is the definitive Brian track for me, just as Rosie is the definitive Bon song. I think it epitomizes everything about AC/DC when they came back after Bon - it's the real standout on the Black in Black album, even though the title track and its riff are more famous. Hells Bells is not just a dirge, but a defiant fuck you, from a band that almost died, but viciously proclaimed the fight in their bellies and the glorious introduction of a terrific new singer; not just some second-rate copy cat but a fantastic, cast-iron voiced, glass gargling new beast worthy of filling in the shoes that he was tragically called to.

I really hoped against hope that Axl would nail this one.  I just don't think that his voice suits the song (as it was originally sung). Axl's banshee screaming seems to fit well with the songs where Brian does his high pitched screaming, and his raspy mid-tempo vocals fit well on Bon's work, but I think that the deep, powerful lungs that Brian had back in the day, when he sang Hells Bells for the first time were just incomparable. Unfortunately, the AC/DC fan-base will compare him to the original record. Ah well, at least Axl will sing it his own way.  No one's going to be able to rightfully accuse him of doing Karaoke.

Edited by The Archer
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Poppycock. If this was the case, why has DC possessed two of the greatest singers in rock n' roll history to deliver? 'DC songs are all high-register frantic rock' rollers which require a high rock n' roll voice; they also require somebody who can sing the blues and to sing the blues with any passion, for a white man, and get away with it, is about the most difficult feat of singing in popular music!

DC's vocals are incredibly difficult! ''Down Payment Blues', 'Sin City', 'Hell's Bells', ''I got my bell, I'm gonna take you to hell, I'm gonna get you, Satan get you'' - you have to have the correct raw, highness, blues, soul and sleaze.

If you were looking for the best rock n' roll voice in the history of rock n' roll, who does not happen to be Little Richard, you could do much worse than choose Bon or Brian. To do what they did vocally was phenomenal.

Thank you. I couldn't have said it better. We are on GN'R forum, so it's not surprising to see that many see Axl as the best ever, and that sometimes people get carried away and don't give credit where it's due. For the record, Axl at his peak disavowed comparisons to Bon.

Also, Bon and Brian were both BIG, BIG Little Richard fans. I remember that Brian said somewhere that when he wants to listen to music in his spare time, he listens to Little Richard.

6 hours ago, MrSoftie said:

Tried to clean up Back In Black... yet again I suck at this stuff but I tried :lol:

Awesome! Great job - BIB has just surpassed expectations for me. Axl brings his own full throated, menacing swagger to it. If the Axl/DC haters don't appreciate it if he sings like this, they are probably just too long in the tooth, too hard of hearing or just bloody close minded.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Kira said:

I agree that Bon Scott was phenomenal.  A great singer and performer.  If you ask most people who their favorite acdc singer is, it will be him. 

Brian did something incredible by stepping into his shoes and has been an integral part of the acdc machine since then.  That being said, how many Favorite Singer or Top Vocalist lists is he on?  Not many.  Not trying to minimize his contributions, but he's not everyone's cup of tea, I'll put it that way.

Really well said. Just one caveat though. Much as everyone waxes nostalgic about Bon (and I love him to death and he trumps everyone for me, including Axl), Brian's work on his first two albums, (along with the rest of the band having come together as a really well oiled unit) is what really propelled AC/DC to the top of the world and kept them on the Hard Rock throne, till Guns sort of displaced them. He's not on anyone's favorite singer lists or top vocalist lists because 1) far too many people have heard a second rate Brian Johnson for too many years and 2) Unlike Bon, Brian clearly ceded primary frontman responsibilities to Angus and I think that's also indirectly affected perceptions of hi as a vocalist.

The point is, if '80-'83 Brian Johnson had maintained his peak vocal chops all through the '80s and '90s, he would have easily been rated in the top 5 of any list. But he wasn't and that's why he's not there.

Edited by The Archer

6 hours ago, Powerage5 said:

Honestly, that wouldn't make much room in the setlist as it is; the only post-TRE songs in the set currently (Assuming they continue with the same 2016 set) are Rock Or Bust, Got Some Rock N' Roll Thunder, and Rock N' Roll Train. Rock N' Roll Train isn't going anywhere because as far as later-days material goes everyone knows it - it's the closest thing they've had to a hit since Thunderstruck. There will be at least one ROB song since they're still calling it the ROB tour, and of the two in the set the title track will obviously stay. So best case scenario they drop GSRNRT - that's not exactly opening up much of the set for older material. I'd like some more older stuff too, but it seems pretty obvious knowing what's been rehearsed so far that the set will be almost identical to the set earlier this year.

It does look like you're right. I loathe Rock N' Roll train but it is actually the most well known song in AC/DC's recent catalogue and the youngest concert goers will know it well. They should really put it out to pasture though and let the kids hear some of the great ones. But, I'm beginning to give up hope for anything except Riff Raff. Pity really - it's ironic that I catch myself saying this, and I hate to sound entitled - but Grandpa Angus really should know better and push himself a little and realize the full potential of his new frontman :lol:.

I don't know what to do - is Angus on twitter  ( I don't think so) ? Would tweeting him have any effect (again, I don't think so) ? I think we should just tweet Axl with our song requests - "Axl, you would be great on Kicked in the Teeth" or, "Please do Nightcrawler with the Shazbot Nanu Nanu". Maybe uncle Axl will be able to convince Grandpa Angus.

Edited by The Archer

Even during Axl's worst moments he could still pull off a raspy Whole Lotta Rosie, Riff Raff or whatever those songs are called... It just suits his voice, it's not a matter of difficulty. Axl's high pitched screams are not something he's lost with the years, the breakdown on Better, the NR outro... he sings those parts well, I mean, he yells those lines well, and ACDC is all about yelling. Happy for Axl, really. He must be having fun and like a rock star again now that GNR is back and ACDC hired him for some gigs. A whole different world to playing bowling alleys with some nobodies pretending to be GNR.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

This is the response I almost uploaded to that now-locked thread in the main section where the OP was asking if we should be pissed that Axl sounds better with acdc than he does with gnr:

Vocally, the seven shows he has done with GNr so far were a dramatic improvement from 2011-2014, and he'll probably continue to get better, which is something Id never thought I'd say.

i can't speak for everyone, of course, but I personally see no reason to complain. After years of shit, he looks good, sounds good, and is playing with slash and duff (with the acdc thing being a nice bonus). It finally feels good to be a GNR/Axl fan again for the first time in as long as I can remember. 

I 100% agree..I am glad you posted this response! You took the words right out of my mouth. 

Edited by marlingrl03
  • Like 1

i don't think that bon scott and brian johnson are in the same league to be honest.

bon scott was more versatile, his melodies were more diverse.

brian johnson's style is repetitive and can be annoying.

Edited by supercool
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, Kira said:

Aren't there any more clips?  They must have heard more than 5 or six songs.  Are they holding out on us?

It's almost as if this was a planned leak. Anyhow, it's less than four days away from the first show - what we really need is for people to step up to the plate and periscope for us.

Edited by The Archer
  • Like 4

Why not wait until Saturday until making a judgement about Axls DC vocals it's only a couple of days. At the moment we have a couple of videos of someone in a backstreet recording through a fire door of someone who could well be Axl. I know the guy cleaned a couple of tracks but even so it's still hard to tell until he's on that stage in front of 50,000+ or whatever the capacity is before judging his DC vocals. I'm just thinking this can only go one of 2 ways there'll be no middle ground. It'll either be really good or really awful. Now the big question if the hardcore DC fans who've decided to go out of curiosity don't like what they hear & start booing how will Axl react ?

20 hours ago, The Archer said:

It does look like you're right. I loathe Rock N' Roll train but it is actually the most well known song in AC/DC's recent catalogue and the youngest concert goers will know it well. They should really put it out to pasture though and let the kids hear some of the great ones. But, I'm beginning to give up hope for anything except Riff Raff. Pity really - it's ironic that I catch myself saying this, and I hate to sound entitled - but Grandpa Angus really should know better and push himself a little and realize the full potential of his new frontman :lol:.

I don't know what to do - is Angus on twitter  ( I don't think so) ? Would tweeting him have any effect (again, I don't think so) ? I think we should just tweet Axl with our song requests - "Axl, you would be great on Kicked in the Teeth" or, "Please do Nightcrawler with the Shazbot Nanu Nanu". Maybe uncle Axl will be able to convince Grandpa Angus.

If axl is active online your better bet is to send him stuff, if he even looks at it. Angus isn't exactly a guy who engages online or with fans. He did do an online chat a few years back and people were asking about specific songs like guns for hire. His response, and I'm paraphrasing, is that if people like it they will play it. And then they went on tour with more or less the same setlist as the last tour plus a few deeper tracks from back in black, which is by far their best selling album ever to the point I don't think you can call anything on it a deep track. So not to be a pessimist but good luck convincing angus to play "kicked in the teeth" or anything similar. He probably doesn't even remember writing those songs. 

1 minute ago, goneshootin said:

If axl is active online your better bet is to send him stuff, if he even looks at it. Angus isn't exactly a guy who engages online or with fans. He did do an online chat a few years back and people were asking about specific songs like guns for hire. His response, and I'm paraphrasing, is that if people like it they will play it. And then they went on tour with more or less the same setlist as the last tour plus a few deeper tracks from back in black, which is by far their best selling album ever to the point I don't think you can call anything on it a deep track. So not to be a pessimist but good luck convincing angus to play "kicked in the teeth" or anything similar. He probably doesn't even remember writing those songs. 

But if Axl asks nicely he might agree to play Touch Too Much. I kinda agree with the general gist of your post. Angus has a if it ain't broke don't fix it kind of approach but even if no new shit is played it will be Axl singing it so that's new.

14 minutes ago, goneshootin said:

Oh, I know. I was just making jest. For what it's worth, I've been tweeting @Axl and plan to continue doing so :lol:.

16 minutes ago, GNRmello77 said:

http://teamrock.com/news/2016-05-04/ac-dc-we-offered-refunds-on-axl-shows-to-do-right-by-our-fans Article on ACDC and Axl Rose about the refunds and confirming the rehearsel footage is Axl @MrSoftie they used your soundcloud clip for the article :P

Is.. Is I this what Internet fame feels like? :lol:

Suddenly I wish I had a better username... 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MrSoftie said:

Is.. Is I this what Internet fame feels like? :lol:

Suddenly I wish I had a better username... 

Try to make money out of it haha you can go like, yeah i helped to make your article interesting and convincing without my permission blablabla -_-

2 minutes ago, GNRmello77 said:

Try to make money out of it haha you can go like, yeah i helped to make your article interesting and convincing without my permission blablabla -_-

Ha yeah, if I'd recorded it too I'd be asking for my share of ad revenue :P