Do you view 2016 GnR as a reunion or a continuation from 2014?

Reunion or Continuation?  

186 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Simple question. I'm starting this topic because I've been seeing a lot of debate, which I've taken part of, as to whether this is a reunion tour or a continuation of GnR from 2014. Just trying to get a feeling on the overall forum's view.

My personal take is that it's a continuation given that we know Tommy left for family reasons, which led to Duff filling in and eventually replacing him. BBF left for God knows why, but it seems like he wanted to leave, hence Slash coming back in to fill in that guitar spot. And the recent news that DJ could have still been involved if he wanted to, but voluntarily left to focus on sixx am.

Discuss!

Edited by ohmygod
  • Like 1

To me it's more of a reunion. Never thought we would see Slash and Axl back on stage with all of the crap that went on between them for 20 years. It isn't a true reunion since Steven and Izzy aren't there. I look at this group as I looked at the 1992-1993 UYI line up. Not a true reunion but certainly more of a reunion than 2014.

Edited by Appetiteyourillusion
  • Like 2

It's more of a continuation. Guns N Roses has never stated this to be a reunion. A reunion would have incorporated Izzy and Adler. This is a tour Axl has been wanting to do since 02, and now he's got the names to do it. 

I I think if you are disappointed by this than you likely were not a fan of nugnr. 

• Like 1

A continuation. I think Slash and Duff bring the old guns elements back and there's a UYI feel to it but it seems like they're direct replacements and keeping some Chinese Dem songs as a sign of that. I see a reunion as AFD or UYI line ups. The good thing about the line up is because it a continuation we might get new music. I would rather new material came from AFD line up but it seems the less likely 

Edited by Gold top 78
  • Like 1

I'd have to say a little of both as well.Hopefully they continue with this group.I'd be excited about new music more then these shows but I'm excited enough to see them a couple times in a 5 month span whereas before I never had a desire to see them live with the previous lineup

This is Slash and Duff joining AXL's band- just the same as when they joined AXL's band way back in 1985. Things really haven't changed at all when you think about it. Maybe Slash should leave the band when they remaster Lies this THYME though.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mr. Dude said:

This is Slash and Duff joining AXL's band- just the same as when they joined AXL's band way back in 1985. Things really haven't changed at all when you think about it. Maybe Slash should leave the band when they remaster Lies this THYME though.

I see what you did there :P ButExactly. Ole beich quit right off the bat, duff came in. Tracii guns  and rob Gardner quit, slash and Steven replaced them respectively. Of course, that was then. But it was pretty much always like that other than axl creating the keyboards during illusions and adding another guitar for Chinese. But every time someone left, they were replaced. I think that was the intent here but duff and slash felt that Richard alone was enough, so if they ever add another guitarist at all it would be Izzy. No more leads necessary unless it's Fortus, which slash can agree to.

Edited by Billsfan

Axl, Slash, and Duff is a reunion to me. I never thought I'd see Axl and Slash on the same stage again. In the prime, Steven was booted and Izzy left first on his own volition (he seems like he didn't like the massive spotlight). I'd love to see those too back (and Sorum), but this is a reunion of guns for me.

Axl, Slash, and Duff to me is back to UYI. Totally a reunion.

Its is both, although that is a hard concept to really grasp.  But when I listen to the videos and the bootlegs I am reminded so much of the Illusion days but at the same time of the 2009-2014 lineup.  Which makes sense

3 hours ago, ohmygod said:

Simple question. I'm starting this topic because I've been seeing a lot of debate, which I've taken part of, as to whether this is a reunion tour or a continuation of GnR from 2014. Just trying to get a feeling on the overall forum's view.

My personal take is that it's a continuation given that we know Tommy left for family reasons, which led to Duff filling in and eventually replacing him. BBF left for God knows why, but it seems like he wanted to leave, hence Slash coming back in to fill in that guitar spot. And the recent news that DJ could have still been involved if he wanted to, but voluntarily left to focus on sixx am.

Discuss!

If anything other than a reunion, a mix of both.  I have a real problem thinking of Slash  or Duff as a "fill in" as they were original core members.  Granted, it would feel like more of a reunion with Izzy, but he doesn't like touring, wtf are you going to do?

I also don't think a "continuation" would allow for a 300% mark up in ticket prices, either.

3 hours ago, IncitingChaos said:

It's more of a continuation. Guns N Roses has never stated this to be a reunion. A reunion would have incorporated Izzy and Adler. This is a tour Axl has been wanting to do since 02, and now he's got the names to do it. 

I I think if you are disappointed by this than you likely were not a fan of nugnr. 

they never stated it was a reunion BUT they went to the troubadour... they're trying to fool the fans with marketing tricks.

unfortunately, this is a continuation of fakegnr, the band sounds fake, it sounds as nugnr, not as vintage gnr.

it can't be a reunion without izzy and steven.

I'm hoping a continuation fearing just a reunion. Continuation is what it feels like and from what I've seen Axl seems to be enjoying himself, and the return of Duff and Slash, and if conflict of past members caused hold up of Chinese Democracy , then there shldnt be much of a hold up of new music. God knows what's really going on w no interviews etc

Why i fear a reunion is: Over the years we have seen or heard many members come and go

Slash, Izzy, Gilby, Duff, Paul, Steven, Matt ,Paul, Robin,Tommy,Brain,Buckethead, ashba, bumblefoot,Pittman

That's 15 members and 2 returned I don't see more ppl joining the revolving door of gnr it's becoming a mockery w no music being released same set list etc ppl won't wanna continue playing other ppls songs that's y majority of nugnr left , and Axl may see that and decide to make some $$ and give us the final hoorah we begged for b4 he rides of on that dolphin into the sunset and calls it quits ...which I pray is not the plan hopefully things go great w this tour and we get a new album 

Since it isn't a reunion I don't consider it a reunion. But it's not really a continuation, either, it is a hybrid lineup, a chimera. A combination of old and new. Frank, Axl, Dizzy and Richard bring cohesion from the last lineup, Duff and Slash bring in elements from the past, while Melissa adds the alien touch.

• Like 2

As to the prices... I don't think that's indicative of either in my opinion. Rather it's the promoters knowing that getting Axl and Slash on the same stage, regardless of who is in the band, is something people will pay anything to see. Especially given that most people had thought that them playing together again had a snowballs chance in hell, hence "not in this lifetime."

Edited by ohmygod