Do you view 2016 GnR as a reunion or a continuation from 2014?

Reunion or Continuation?  

186 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The stadium tour is all about getting people to see Axl and Slash on stage together again then deciding if there's a future for GNR. The problem is with Axl signing up  for AC/DC, the fans are worried how that will affect the GNR shows, and it's a valid concern. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, dalsh327 said:

The stadium tour is all about getting people to see Axl and Slash on stage together again then deciding if there's a future for GNR. The problem is with Axl signing up  for AC/DC, the fans are worried how that will affect the GNR shows, and it's a valid concern. 

I think it will mean that when Axl turns up to the GNR shows he will be fully warmed up to rasp speed infinity. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, dalsh327 said:

Axl has been known to get better as a tour would go on. If anything this is going to help him and get him to peak form for the summer.

Continuation, because of .. reasons 

like playing CD material, same or very similar stage, Axl singing classic guns song in the same way he did on the last tours (PC whistle thing for ex.)

On 30/4/2016 at 8:46 PM, Fitha_whiskey said:

To me, it's neither. I look at it as GnR #5.

1- AFD lineup

2- UYI lineup

3- original CD lineup

4- CDII (Bumble/ DJ/Frank) lineup

5- this lineup

To me, each of these are a distinct lineup that has a very different feel from each...

therefore a continuation ...

Continuation of nu-guns obviously.

This is a cash-grab tour -- nobody aside from the big 3 are making real money off these gigs. If the rumors are to be believed, Pitman got himself kicked out for complaining about the lack of a wage hike for these shows. It's all about the money. That's why there's no Izzy, Popcorn, or Sorum. All those guys would demand more money -- so our 3 heroes are hoarding the cash for themselves and selling this as a reunion tour for maximum cashgrab potential. Frankly, I'm surprised Duff would go along with this but I guess he figured this was the only way to restart the partnership.

This band is so fucked up.

Edited by RONIN

I'm not really sure, so haven't voted :shrugs:

It feels like a NuGNR/"Axl running the show" continuation to me, but it's being very cleverly marketed as a reunion without GNR officially using the "R" word - the media were quick to label it a reunion for the clickbait headlines and that's definitely worked to the bands advantage. I think the band is just allowing the media to run with the reunion headlines because it's helping to put asses in seats without the band themselves having to do an interview. Can't really blame GNR for that but I don't like the shit I've been reading about Adler/Izzy from certain fans online :(

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, RONIN said:

This is a cash-grab tour -- nobody aside from the big 3 are making real money off these gigs. If the rumors are to be believed, Pitman got himself kicked out for complaining about the lack of a wage hike for these shows. It's all about the money. That's why there's no Izzy, Popcorn, or Sorum. All those guys would demand more money -- so our 3 heroes are hoarding the cash for themselves and selling this as a reunion tour for maximum cashgrab potential. Frankly, I'm surprised Duff would go along with this but I guess he figured this was the only way to restart the partnership.

your story made me laugh

• Like 2

4 hours ago, RONIN said:

Musicians perform for money it's what they do. It's their job. As far as other members getting a raise I don't see why they should. Let's just say the company you work for gets a huge contract would they decide to change your hourly or salary wage? No. They may offer a bonus bt you would make the same irregardless. Only the owners would benefit off the contract. Which means Axl and since Slash and Duff still own rights and what not it means them as well.

Nothing new here. Those guys while yes may have been there for a long time when they toured before just like now they were paid set amounts. 

Those guys don't handle the business side of this. They are GnR but have no stakes in the company.

Axl has been offered huge money for years to reunite as I'm sure Slash has too. The time wasn't right then. Issues still existed.

It was said before the contract they signed was geared towards partly not dealing with spouses should something happen to one of them and with Slash and Perla divorcing I think it opened some doors.

Why is it surprising Duff would do it? He has played with Axl before and Slash. 

I voted continuation though in a way it's both.

Certainly better than but unfortunately just a continuation of NuGuns.  

Richard and Frank still put the NuGuns twist on songs
still have all the pyro
Still play 4 CD songs
Still have a second keyboard/synth player
They play the same covers as NuGuns

If it was a continuation then why mention it's been 23 years, technically it would only be 2 years since Guns last toured.  The band is "continuing" if that's what's meant, but only because Slash and Duff agreed to reunite with Axl.  Therefore, I go for reunion.  Playing CD songs doesn't make it feel like a continuation either, since Slash is just playing other material as he does with The Who, Floyd or AC/DC at all the same shows.  To him these songs are just another cover.  

1 hour ago, Patience 4 Axl said:

If it was a continuation then why mention it's been 23 years, technically it would only be 2 years since Guns last toured.  The band is "continuing" if that's what's meant, but only because Slash and Duff agreed to reunite with Axl.  Therefore, I go for reunion.  Playing CD songs doesn't make it feel like a continuation either, since Slash is just playing other material as he does with The Who, Floyd or AC/DC at all the same shows.  To him these songs are just another cover.  

23 years since Axl and Slash...  Doesn't say anything about 23 years since a tour.    Plus about the CD songs, Slash has made some changes to those songs, and in that sense took a piece of ownership in them as well.

Anyways, its a continuation.  Always has been a continuation since Steven was fired, members have come and gone from GnR.

Difference now is that some very prominent members have returned, so in that sense, its understandable that some call it a reunion.   To the casual fan, it will appear as a reunion.    But we know better.

• Like 1

It's definitely not a real reunion as this incarnation of the band didn't exist before but it's milestones away from being an continuation of the 2014.

If this was a continuation we would see them doing residencys in Vegas or playing theatres and arenas. We eould have a three guitar band thing.

What we have now is the UYI core back together and that's what they are marketing it for. 

5 hours ago, CardinalGunner said:

23 years since Axl and Slash...  Doesn't say anything about 23 years since a tour.    Plus about the CD songs, Slash has made some changes to those songs, and in that sense took a piece of ownership in them as well.

Anyways, its a continuation.  Always has been a continuation since Steven was fired, members have come and gone from GnR.

Difference now is that some very prominent members have returned, so in that sense, its understandable that some call it a reunion.   To the casual fan, it will appear as a reunion.    But we know better.

Axl,  Slash and Duff, 3 members from the classic lineup, are touring for the first time together since 1993.  That's not a continuation to me.  As for Slash making changes to songs, so did Bucket.   Musicians add their own spin.  It's still just covers of songs he didn't write, just like any of the other covers he plays.  

Edited by Patience 4 Axl

35 minutes ago, Patience 4 Axl said:

Axl,  Slash and Duff, 3 members from the classic lineup, are touring for the first time together since 1993.  That's not a continuation to me.  As for Slash making changes to songs, so did Bucket.   Musicians add their own spin.  It's still just covers of songs he didn't write, just like any of the other covers he plays.  

Technically that's true. Slash and Duff were not a part of Chinese in any way.

But how is this line up not a continuation to you? wasn't the UYI line up without Izzy a continuation? with a new drummer and rhythm guitar player. Same shit, different lifetime.

They came back to Guns after 20 years. They're playing Chinese tunes, if they release an album together and some of the material is from the vault, that makes it even more a continuation. Axl is still the frontman and has control over a lot of shit it seems.

It's as much Guns as it was in 1993, but the Chinese era was not ignored. The inclusion of Fortus, Mellisa, and Frank coupled with still playing Chinese material means it's a Gn'R continuum.

Edited by Rovim

2 hours ago, wasted said:

It's a continuation of it not being a reunion of the AFD line up. But who knows maybe that will happen. VIP packages $5,000 and you get to meet Adrianna Smith in "the studio".

Not sure I'd pay 5 grand but that meet and greet with rocket queen :lol:

There's something special about not getting to meet the real AFD line up. It's got to be at least worth twice as much as not meeting Combo Guns. But just in case a free shag. That's got to count for something. 

15 hours ago, Patience 4 Axl said:

Better was has some fairly major changes.  

Was it a continuation when Matt replaced Adler or Gilby replaced Izzy or Ashba replaced Finck?

Sorry if this has been answered already. 

Are Slash and Duff back "in" Guns n Roses for good? Meaning another tour, new music, the whole 9 yards. 

Or are they just doing this 20-25 city tour to give the fans a fun semi-reunion and to fill up their bank accounts?

1 hour ago, Apollo said:

Are Slash and Duff back "in" Guns n Roses for good? Meaning another tour, new music, the whole 9 yards. 

Or are they just doing this 20-25 city tour to give the fans a fun semi-reunion and to fill up their bank accounts?

This is the 3 million dollar question. 

My take is that if they just come back and do a tour and get the money then they are in some way shitting on their legacy. Maybe that's too strong because at the time it's fun to go to shows and hype etc is cool. 

But when you step back, and think after all this time making a big deal about how awesome they are and without them it's not GNR. Not just them, the fans, the media, Donald Fuckin' Trump, everyone. Then they just do a quick tour for the big bucks which rests on their past hits. 

I feel like they can do a great record that lives up to their legend and would be the final say on GNR. As much as I love CD, is that how GNR should go out? I feel like they should go out rocking at full tilt not mired in denial. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Apollo said:

Its not been answered.   The band has been tight lipped.

I'd imagine even they themselves do not know the answer to that question.

It would be difficult for Axl to do much without them.. not like that has stopped him before.

Nugnr elements,

Most damning the three-four songs of the 'Chinoiserie' persuasion, additionally preserving a similar old/new setlist ratio as Newgnr in former years. You might also cite the lack of Velvet Revolver/solo material, which would have had the benefit of implying a - democratic - merging of the two rival factions, making Chinese material much more palatable to swallow while leaving Slash and Duff with less sore backsides.

Fortus, Ferrer and the presence of a superfluous second keyboardist (Dizzy is of course neutral being known to both eras). The notion of Slash and Duff desiring a second keyboardist is clearly absurd (Slash did not even want Dizzy in 1990!). You may also cite the lack of Stradlin, Adler, et al. here.

Slash and Duff, hitherto loquacious interviewees, adopting Axlite 'Area 51' media boycotts thus suggesting that they have been mind-zapped by Team Brazil and consequentially turned into the similar mindless walking automatons prevalent in Guns N' Roses 1998 - 2014.

Old GN'R,

Slash and Duff obviously

Old band imagery such as the fonts and logos, basically putting over that this is a 'reunion' without saying the word 'reunion'

Conclusion,

A 3/2 or 67% implication that this is in fact a continuation of Nugnr.

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Like 1