Do you view 2016 GnR as a reunion or a continuation from 2014?

Reunion or Continuation?  

186 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I can't believe how quickly everyone gets jaded. Axl and Slash are on stage again after all the years of hatred. That's a huge deal. Duff is there too. Chances are Izzy and Steven are going to make an appearance as well. Why people continue to talk this down is beyond me. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, wasted said:

This is the 3 million dollar question. 

My take is that if they just come back and do a tour and get the money then they are in some way shitting on their legacy. Maybe that's too strong because at the time it's fun to go to shows and hype etc is cool. 

But when you step back, and think after all this time making a big deal about how awesome they are and without them it's not GNR. Not just them, the fans, the media, Donald Fuckin' Trump, everyone. Then they just do a quick tour for the big bucks which rests on their past hits. 

I feel like they can do a great record that lives up to their legend and would be the final say on GNR. As much as I love CD, is that how GNR should go out? I feel like they should go out rocking at full tilt not mired in denial. 

No, but I like it in my arsenal. No one made a record like Chinese imo. With all that comes with it. The freak accident of Bucket and Robin, the irony of Slash playing There Was A Paul and who knows? maybe it will contribute to another last Guns album that is not disposable.

I don't believe Axl just wants to tour. My guess is if shit goes fairly well he'll go for it. The legacy is too important for him. I think Slash and Duff will want to make a final Guns statement as well.

But it's time to make money right now and busk in the glory. Gain momentum, Slash writes on the road and Axl will hopefully make it happen fairly quick, a little less than a decade.

3 hours ago, wasted said:

It's Guns N Roses. 

Not really imo. Like you can't really say it's the same thing as having for example all the elements, Izzy writing with them and Adler playing all the Appetite, Civil War, And Lies.

But if it was actually Guns N' Roses, it would have been strangely pathetic in a way perhaps. This line up makes me believe there's a chance it can move forward and they're trying to compromise with Slash playing Chinese tunes and Axl seems like he's really into it.

They don't actually need Izzy on the road, he doesn't tour anyway. Just a few shows here and there. But his writing skills can definitely make it more Gn'R imo. Which means right now it's less Gn'R. So it's not really Gn'R.

Adler is actually more important live for Guns. I have nothing against Frank, but Adler will make it sound more Gn'R which makes sense.

But it's more stable to just go with this line up, it works. 2 to 3 people don't like Frank and some nu found hate for Fortus. It looks better this way as well for Axl.

Feels like it's for the best if Adler and Izzy will just pop up from time to time and help out in limited capacity. To quench the nostalgia thirst of the vampire brigade.

Edited by Rovim

5 hours ago, Rovim said:

No, but I like it in my arsenal. No one made a record like Chinese imo. With all that comes with it. The freak accident of Bucket and Robin, the irony of Slash playing There Was A Paul and who knows? maybe it will contribute to another last Guns album that is not disposable.

I don't believe Axl just wants to tour. My guess is if shit goes fairly well he'll go for it. The legacy is too important for him. I think Slash and Duff will want to make a final Guns statement as well.

But it's time to make money right now and busk in the glory. Gain momentum, Slash writes on the road and Axl will hopefully make it happen fairly quick, a little less than a decade.

CD was a great mid period, almost the perfect feud injected album. It's much more focused career wise than The Stones mid era. It's not just playing nice pop rock songs for the money, it means much more than that. It's a full on dive down the rabbit hole into a dark psychedelic journey into the heart of darkness. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rovim said:

Not really imo. Like you can't really say it's the same thing as having for example all the elements, Izzy writing with them and Adler playing all the Appetite, Civil War, And Lies.

But if it was actually Guns N' Roses, it would have been strangely pathetic in a way perhaps. This line up makes me believe there's a chance it can move forward and they're trying to compromise with Slash playing Chinese tunes and Axl seems like he's really into it.

They don't actually need Izzy on the road, he doesn't tour anyway. Just a few shows here and there. But his writing skills can definitely make it more Gn'R imo. Which means right now it's less Gn'R. So it's not really Gn'R.

Adler is actually more important live for Guns. I have nothing against Frank, but Adler will make it sound more Gn'R which makes sense.

But it's more stable to just go with this line up, it works. 2 to 3 people don't like Frank and some nu found hate for Fortus. It looks better this way as well for Axl.

Feels like it's for the best if Adler and Izzy will just pop up from time to time and help out in limited capacity. To quench the nostalgia thirst of the vampire brigade.

To me GNR has to be Axl and other musicians working to being us the best GNR album and the best shows GNR can do within the context of whatever fucked up version of reality that is going on. 

To only believe in the AFD line up at this point is somewhat churlish as I moonwalk down the street to Scraped or get ejected from a 7-11 to Don't Damn Me. 

No doubt I had an illusion that rock bands are all about the original line ups. The Doors, The Beatles, Zepp. But what about the shit shows like Kiss and Van Halen or Megadave. Are these not valid or sacred in there shitty showness.

20 years of bullshit learned me better. I just like rock music. I can't get sentimental in the face of unbridled reality. 

It's just another line up Guns N Roses brought to you by the sadistic meglomaniac Axl Rose.

• Like 2

Incredible. Only on the friggin internet could you dig up fans whiny enough to deem Slash and Duff being back in Guns N' Roses and stadiums selling out across the U.S. a continuation of the last tour(s).

• Like 1

In Axl's opinion, it's a continuation of Guns N' Roses with a new lineup consisting of some of the guys from the classic lineup.  He's obviously an intelligent guy and knows what the addition of Slash and Duff brings to the table....so he also knows it's not just a continuation of 2014....it's much, much bigger and he is well aware of it.

That being said for the media and most fans, it's at the very least, a partial reunion....and anyone denying that is just being stubborn.  

1 hour ago, sofine11 said:

Incredible. Only on the friggin internet could you dig up fans whiny enough to deem Slash and Duff being back in Guns N' Roses and stadiums selling out across the U.S. a continuation of the last tour(s).

I think it's less about the last tour and more about the previous line up. No one said the current situation is just like having DJ and Bumble in the band. It's similar to the UYI situation imo.

Edited by Rovim

6 hours ago, AFD5 said:

Yes it's the UYI re-union it's not the "holy grail" of the AFD5 it's certainly not a continuation of The Axl Rose Band.

It's a continuation of both. Duff and Slash were a part of the UYI line up while Fortus and Frank were a part of "The Axl Rose Band".

It really is a hybrid, Fortus and Frank were featured on Chinese and they're still playing material from that album with Slash and Duff.

Edited by Rovim

48 minutes ago, AFD5 said:

I'm still hopeful we'll see the AFD5 at some point on the NITL tour.

Trust me, you're in the majority. Disgusts me to see posters on here downplay the greatness of the AFD lineup and downright insult them by saying they prefer CD era stuff. They're not real fans imo. Axl Slash Izzy Duff and Steven is Guns N' Roses, nothing more, nothing less.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Philipm787 said:

Trust me, you're in the majority. Disgusts me to see posters on here downplay the greatness of the AFD lineup and downright insult them by saying they prefer CD era stuff. They're not real fans imo. Axl Slash Izzy Duff and Steven is Guns N' Roses, nothing more, nothing less.

It disgusts you that some fans prefer CD over AFD and you call that preference an insult? Wow. No wonder there are wars in this world.

Edited by SoulMonster
Fixed a glitch in the time-space continuum
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Philipm787 said:

Over the real deal? unacceptable. Preferin' CD era stuff is vile over Appetite line up and is illegal in my country.

Edited by Rovim

Chinese Democracy simply doesn't count as a GNR album. Axl Rose didn't actually leave his house until the Troubadour show, see? It was fake and to be quite fuckin honest with you, it pains me to see people act like that band of holograms and puppets that got trotted out onto stage throughout the 2000's was ever even real. This is the greatest of sin, to me. To give any attention to Axl Rose after Slash left the band is heresy. If they were your real favorite band, you would've stopped paying attention to Axl for the last 20 years and would have only ever listened to AFD. No real fan would've even bothered to listen to CD. It doesn't make sense, why would you listen to new Axl material? Simply heresy. No one plays drums like fuckin Steven Adler baby! Izzy The Master! Nobody will ever touch the AFD lineup, the greatest band ever! 

If you're real fan? A big "fuck" to the last 20 years and a bigger "FUCK" to Axl POSE.

11 minutes ago, lightBLASTER said:

Chinese Democracy simply doesn't count as a GNR album. Axl Rose didn't actually leave his house until the Troubadour show, see? It was fake and to be quite fuckin honest with you, it pains me to see people act like that band of holograms and puppets that got trotted out onto stage throughout the 2000's was ever even real. This is the greatest of sin, to me. To give any attention to Axl Rose after Slash left the band is heresy. If they were your real favorite band, you would've stopped paying attention to Axl for the last 20 years and would have only ever listened to AFD. No real fan would've even bothered to listen to CD. It doesn't make sense, why would you listen to new Axl material? Simply heresy. No one plays drums like fuckin Steven Adler baby! Izzy The Master! Nobody will ever touch the AFD lineup, the greatest band ever! 

If you're real fan? A big "fuck" to the last 20 years and a bigger "FUCK" to Axl POSE.

If you're a "real" fan (don't know what that exactly means) I'd think you'll take anything you can get with Axl's voice on it, especially when he doesn't actually release much. Doesn't matter if it counts to me, I just like the music and I don't have to choose between any of the Guns albums or any other albums by any band really.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Philipm787 said:

Glad you get to decide who is and isn't a fan.

I prefer AFD to CD, btw.   But its equally valid to prefer CD.   Its a subjective matter of taste.    Who are you to judge?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AFD5 said:

Yes it's the UYI re-union it's not the "holy grail" of the AFD5 it's certainly not a continuation of The Axl Rose Band.

Minus the drummer that played on the Use Your Illusion albums.... This isn't any more of a UYI reunion than an AFD5 reunion unless you consider Dizzy.

This is more of a continuation of the Axl Rose band than anything else... They played 4 Axl Rose band songs one show.. Play all the same covers.. A 7 person band with a second synth player.. Put the same Axl Rose band twists on the classic songs. Pyro... 

4 hours ago, Philipm787 said:

Now don't get me wrong I am a "Appetite Lineup" guy, but if people having a different opinion about a rock band than you "disgusts" you I think you should get away from the keyboard and get some fresh air ;)

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, moreblack said:

It's a continuation of 1996 Axl/Slash/Duff with some people remaining from the dark years in between.

Then how does that explain the Chinese songs being played?

9 hours ago, Rovim said:

I think it's less about the last tour and more about the previous line up. No one said the current situation is just like having DJ and Bumble in the band. It's similar to the UYI situation imo.

Its looks similar, but its far from it. Matt & Gilby were brought into GnR at the bands peek of commercial success. They joined a well oiled "Real GnR" Machine. Matt played on "real" GnR albums.

That is not the case for the others now. They are Axl's Men from Axl's band that flew the GnR flag, now playing with returning original members.

Two very different situations that look somewhat similar. 

8 hours ago, Philipm787 said:

Couldn't have said it any better myself

Edited by Good, Fuck'n, Night.
  • Like 1