Do you view 2016 GnR as a reunion or a continuation from 2014?

Reunion or Continuation?  

186 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

12 hours ago, Kasanova King said:

In Axl's opinion, it's a continuation of Guns N' Roses with a new lineup consisting of some of the guys from the classic lineup.  He's obviously an intelligent guy and knows what the addition of Slash and Duff brings to the table....so he also knows it's not just a continuation of 2014....it's much, much bigger and he is well aware of it.

That being said for the media and most fans, it's at the very least, a partial reunion....and anyone denying that is just being stubborn.  

It's a reunion of Axl, Slash and Duff but not of a paticular line up of GNR which in some cases is what people want. 

The plus side of the inclusion of members from UYI and CD eras and a new keyboard players is it avoids the nostalgia ethos. There's an element of that but it's not a complete nostalgia fest. Whether they make good on this idea or just run off with the money to join scientology I don't know. I mean at this point is anything worth more than going put strong as GNR?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, wasted said:

It's a reunion of Axl, Slash and Duff but not of a paticular line up of GNR which in some cases is what people want. 

The plus side of the inclusion of members from UYI and CD eras and a new keyboard players is it avoids the nostalgia ethos. There's an element of that but it's not a complete nostalgia fest. Whether they make good on this idea or just run off with the money to join scientology I don't know. I mean at this point is anything worth more than going put strong as GNR?

Agreed. I just don't understand the last sentence. What was the question again?

Edited by Rovim

1 hour ago, Rovim said:

Agreed. I just don't understand the last sentence. What was the question again?

Ah yes the old blow it on the final line chestnut. 

Is anything more important than going out strong as GNR?

ok the money is great but if they don't have a solid album tour out of this line up it will feel a bit sad no? Not actually at the shows but in retrospect, I mean take what you can get and all that but really is that hard for these badasses to make a record?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, wasted said:

Ah yes the old blow it on the final line chestnut. 

Is anything more important than going out strong as GNR?

ok the money is great but if they don't have a solid album tour out of this line up it will feel a bit sad no? Not actually at the shows but in retrospect, I mean take what you can get and all that but really is that hard for these badasses to make a record?

Absolutely not. Nothing is more important. Globally, or in my personal life. Gn'R money is really great right now. Perla brought the kids to see Slash getting paid.

I believe that if Axl feels it, it's not a problem. They seem to be in this together this time around. So far.

I don't think the problems that were there before are there now. Slash and Duff don't care as much about albums imo. The potential issues can be delays cause it's not quite there yet, delaying cause it's really great so Axl has a few ideas to improve it, and just letting go of your art and the label, negotiations.

That last part is not my biggest concern as this is Gn'R with Slash and Duff again, the label might actually promote it more.

We have no way of knowing cause Axl did not share his current intentions for this line up. It doesn't make sense without an album, another great Guns album that's gotta happen or at least they should try.

Edited by Rovim

I go back and forth. One minute it's like they have to do a record, the next it's like why bother with new songs. Just a live album or Best of. I find it difficult to take it's over when I see obvious potential. But maybe it's impossible to top what they did? It's always going to be those songs, after CD they kind of have 3-4 which add to the legacy, i think anyway. So I sort of think they can add 3-4 more? It's time for an LA Woman meets Hotel California?

• Like 1

As far as business goes, having Slash, Axl and Duff together, means they can do stuff with the back catalog. We don't know if the master tape rights to AFD revert to GNR after 30 years. We were left with "look into it" as far as anything to do with AFD Deluxe Edition, but the demand for it's there and they all know it. 

If they do a new Greatest Hits, I wouldn't expect a new GNR album, and even though they disowned the album, it does stand to sell 10 million copies, which would mean they get the RIAA Diamond award out of it. 

There's no doubt of nostalgia to it when they've brought guns and bullet logo back and some of the old shirt designs, but the same could be said with bastardizing the AFD artwork for the Vegas residency. 

18 hours ago, Philipm787 said:

Trust me, you're in the majority. Disgusts me to see posters on here downplay the greatness of the AFD lineup and downright insult them by saying they prefer CD era stuff. They're not real fans imo. Axl Slash Izzy Duff and Steven is Guns N' Roses, nothing more, nothing less.

:lol:

I'm one of the ones who likes CD better than any other GN'R album. Never once have I considered that to be "downplaying the greatness of the AFD lineup". The AFD lineup is legendary and of course GN'R wouldn't have even had the opportunity to record and (eventually) release CD without AFD and the lineup that recorded it. Having said that I do prefer CD over every other GN'R album and in doing so I haven't become any less of a fan. My favorite GN'R album just happens to be one that was recorded by a different lineup than the AFD lineup. 

This business of someone else not being a "real fan" just because they have a different opinion than you is hilarious to me. By your logic, GN'R has only released two EPs and one full length album and anyone who likes any other material released under the GN'R name isn't really a fan. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I'm one of the ones who likes CD better than any other GN'R album. Never once have I considered that to be "downplaying the greatness of the AFD lineup". The AFD lineup is legendary and of course GN'R wouldn't have even had the opportunity to record and (eventually) release CD without AFD and the lineup that recorded it. Having said that I do prefer CD over every other GN'R album and in doing so I haven't become any less of a fan. My favorite GN'R album just happens to be one that was recorded by a different lineup than the AFD lineup. 

This business of someone else not being a "real fan" just because they have a different opinion than you is hilarious to me. By your logic, GN'R has only released two EPs and one full length album and anyone who likes any other material released under the GN'R name isn't really a fan. 

Why do you insist on continuing to provoke everyone who prefers AFD by calmly and rationally stating your own differing personal preference in a distinctly unfriendly friendly manner?

Just now, SoulMonster said:

Why do you insist on continuing to provoke everyone who prefers AFD by calmly and rationally stating your own differing personal preference in a distinctly unfriendly friendly manner?

I'm just a dick I guess? :lol:

1 hour ago, wasted said:

I go back and forth. One minute it's like they have to do a record, the next it's like why bother with new songs. Just a live album or Best of. I find it difficult to take it's over when I see obvious potential. But maybe it's impossible to top what they did? It's always going to be those songs, after CD they kind of have 3-4 which add to the legacy, i think anyway. So I sort of think they can add 3-4 more? It's time for an LA Woman meets Hotel California?

They don't have to top it though imo. I think of it as a chance to cap it off with an album the band might want to make and the fans will want to download but even like if you take for example the Alice In Chains situation: the fans just wanted them back, what's left of it that is and the band was keen on delivering just a good album. Even if you're not a fan, it added something as it didn't just stop.

I think it's important to remember cause I forget it sometimes just the need for the artist to make a statement. Axl I think is interested. The band was always a big deal to him, the acceptance he could get from the fans and the chance to use Slash and Duff on allegedly 3 albums worth of material and all of their ideas it's like... just take your pick, a lot of it is done and can probably be used to save time and make artistic room for everyone. They did the Star Wars promo which I thought was great. They can sell it, or impotently just make more money cause I think they are capable for more than that.

Everyone is fired up, but nothing is promised you actually need to go for it, but I don't think Axl really does the 3-4 thing. It's an album or nothing at all I guess.

And I agree that 3 or 4 songs from Chinese are now kind of a part of the legacy but sometimes to do that you need to release a lot of songs, an album so you kinda have more bullets to nail it.

Why release 3 or 4 songs when you have 3 albums and Slash is a riff machine and improvisation is his thing? that's aiming low, they have enough talent and resources to deliver and I strongly believe that's the plan or I want to believe, not really sure anymore. Where there's a will there's a way?

Edited by Rovim

Other point here...

Sometimes i think that (yeah, sometimes i think) this "reunion" have to be more. More stuff going to. 

This can't be all. GnR needs more GnR. So much ideas.... i still believe in a Adler/Sorum participation.... Izzy too.

I believe in a new old releases like ritz 87... i dont want an died Axl to see all this material....

I believe in a monster Southamerican Tour. Tryin to do a own recognition to itselfs and the fans from down here. Just look the old stuff.... 1992/93 was the most important time in GnR. With UYIS coming out, with Matt Sorum on fkn drums. 

Idk man... i want so much things

"I believe!!.... in you"

1 hour ago, Rovim said:

They don't have to top it though imo. I think of it as a chance to cap it off with an album the band might want to make and the fans will want to download but even like if you take for example the Alice In Chains situation: the fans just wanted them back, what's left of it that is and the band was keen on delivering just a good album. Even if you're not a fan, it added something as it didn't just stop.

I think it's important to remember cause I forget it sometimes just the need for the artist to make a statement. Axl I think is interested. The band was always a big deal to him, the acceptance he could get from the fans and the chance to use Slash and Duff on allegedly 3 albums worth of material and all of their ideas it's like... just take your pick, a lot of it is done and can probably be used to save time and make artistic room for everyone. They did the Star Wars promo which I thought was great. They can sell it, or impotently just make more money cause I think they are capable for more than that.

Everyone is fired up, but nothing is promised you actually need to go for it, but I don't think Axl really does the 3-4 thing. It's an album or nothing at all I guess.

And I agree that 3 or 4 songs from Chinese are now kind of a part of the legacy but sometimes to do that you need to release a lot of songs, an album so you kinda have more bullets to nail it.

Why release 3 or 4 songs when you have 3 albums and Slash is a riff machine and improvisation is his thing? that's aiming low, they have enough talent and resources to deliver and I strongly believe that's the plan or I want to believe, not really sure anymore. Where there's a will there's a way?

I just think taking in the scope of GNR you can like/love all the tracks but only 3-4 of them are on the money to be actual hits/classics. Especially with the scope the songs can be just outside what is accepted. Like Shacklers, If the World, SOD, Catcher are probably just outside actually mattering if you are compiling a Best of. 

And this plays into the next record. It's hard to know exactly what balance is going to hit the mark. In a way it's different to CD where it was unexpected to be so worthwhile. So you might not like Shackler's or ITW they still hit a mark that someone else might go actually it's where GNR were going maybe. 

But with Slash and Duff back you are now directly going to compare it to UYI at least if not AFD. Not just sound but success too. They need at least 3 hit type songs or it just isn't going to work. 

I also think comparing GNR to AIC is a bit magnanimous. Sure in the rock world but GNR global hits. Like 9 hits. 

But maybe fans would be happy with UYI III. 

It would kind of cool to release CD II and UYI III simultaneously. 

Maybe the whole thing is way more fractured and genius than that though. Touring with one line up while lining up an album with many writers and players with Slash and Duff providing the trademark sound to round things out for everyone. 

4 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Seeing as though yourself and several others quoted my post, I would like clear a few things up:

1. You say you prefer CD over AFD as a record, and that's fine, it's your opinion, what I was getting at is, for example, one poster said yesterday that they missed robin finck, which I believe to be an insult to the real gnr because he was only ever a member of what I, and many others refer to as the Axl Rose band.

2. I like some CD material, but my perception of that record and it's era is that it's simply not Guns N' Roses to me. 

3. I stand by what I said in saying that the AFD lineup is the real GNR, with any reincarnations of that (including UYI and now) being missing something, apart from the members obviously. 1985-1989 is Guns N' Roses to me. You may disagree, but it's my own opinion.

4. And finally, when I said people not being 'real fans' or 'disgusting me', I was referring to people preferring the CD era (1999-2014), over the AFD era (1985-1989) in terms of output, shows and press/publicity. They, in my opinion, are not real Guns N' Roses fans, they are Axl Rose fanatics.

7 minutes ago, Philipm787 said:

Seeing as though yourself and several others quoted my post, I would like clear a few things up:

1. You say you prefer CD over AFD as a record, and that's fine, it's your opinion, what I was getting at is, for example, one poster said yesterday that they missed robin finck, which I believe to be an insult to the real gnr because he was only ever a member of what I, and many others refer to as the Axl Rose band.

2. I like some CD material, but my perception of that record and it's era is that it's simply not Guns N' Roses to me. 

3. I stand by what I said in saying that the AFD lineup is the real GNR, with any reincarnations of that (including UYI and now) being missing something, apart from the members obviously. 1985-1989 is Guns N' Roses to me. You may disagree, but it's my own opinion.

4. And finally, when I said people not being 'real fans' or 'disgusting me', I was referring to people preferring the CD era (1999-2014), over the AFD era (1985-1989) in terms of output, shows and press/publicity. They, in my opinion, are not real Guns N' Roses fans, they are Axl Rose fanatics.

Philip, did you have your lawyer draft this post for you? you still don't get it: it doesn't matter that Robin was not a part of the original 5. It is perfectly legitimate for any fan to like what they like about this whole thing. You derive joy from certain elements of it and others might enjoy other elements more or won't care that it's not the ideal line up that was responsible for what they prefer. It is subjective.

Someone imaginary thinks Bucket is the best damn Gn'R guitar player that ever was and there is no Gn'R without Frank. Why would that be an insult when it has no effect? why would you care. Like what you like but don't think it's in some way better cause it's the definitive way of being a fan. It's not.

Edited by Rovim

3 minutes ago, Rovim said:

Philip, did you have your lawyer draft this post for you? you still don't get it: it doesn't matter that Robin was not a part of the original 5. It is perfectly legitimate for any fan to like what they like about this whole thing. You derive joy from certain elements of it and others might enjoy other elements more or won't care that it's not the ideal line up that was responsible for what they prefer. It is subjective.

Someone imaginary thinks Bucket is the best Gn'R guitar player that ever was. Why would that be an insult when it has no effect? why would you care. Like what you like but don't think it's in some way better cause it's the definitive way of being a fan. It's not.

Well then it's clear I just don't take well to an opinion that I find to be totally absurd. 

Just now, Philipm787 said:

Well then it's clear I just don't take well to an opinion that I find to be totally absurd. 

Don't be absurd. It's totally normal to prefer Paul Huge over Slash for example. Seriously. Like when you might prefer a steak over a chili burger but it's not absurd of me to prefer a chili burger just cause steak is much better in your opinion. It's a matter of taste. (technically that's absurd though, everybody knows steak is better)

2 minutes ago, Rovim said:

Don't be absurd. It's totally normal to prefer Paul Huge over Slash for example. Seriously. Like when you might prefer a steak over a chili burger but it's not absurd of me to prefer a chili burger just cause steak is much better in your opinion. It's a matter of taste. (technically that's absurd though, everybody knows steak is better)

Yeah but we're taking in terms of Guns N' Roses here, and I genuinely do not believe anybody could prefer Huge to Slash in terms of GNR. I know it was just an example you were using, but somebody probably has said that on here, and I believe that you cannot be a genuine GNR fan if that is your opinion, and I also believe you are disrespecting what I call the real GNR (my own opinion).

56 minutes ago, Philipm787 said:

Yeah but we're taking in terms of Guns N' Roses here, and I genuinely do not believe anybody could prefer Huge to Slash in terms of GNR. I know it was just an example you were using, but somebody probably has said that on here, and I believe that you cannot be a genuine GNR fan if that is your opinion, and I also believe you are disrespecting what I call the real GNR (my own opinion).

Yes they can. Of course they can. Just like someone can prefer Sorum over Adler or Brain. Doesn't make them less of a Gn'R fan. I think it's unlikely they don't like the original 5 as well but they don't have to like that incarnation the most or at all for that matter. There is no objective ideal here or one set criteria to fulfill as a fan of this band (or anything)

There are certain things we as fans, most fans, agree on, like critics in a way. But even something like Appetite which is considered as being the masterpiece is not universally favored among Gn'R fans and even if it was it shouldn't have an influence on what you personally prefer as a fan. But some Guns fans prefer UYI, Perhaps Lies I would imagine. Does it make Appetite less of a masterpiece cause they enjoy some other Guns album more? So why not Chinese? and why not the people who were responsible for the sounds that person likes the most?

It makes sense as well cause all these other people, they did not just create alone what some Guns fans prefer, it was in connection to Axl which was a part of old Guns. You don't control what you like and that could be just one potential reason of what made them decide for now that this is what they prefer. Strictly based on the music in this case, or in Russ's case imo.

Besides, why would you even want everyone to like the exact same thing the most? sounds boring as fuck.

Edited by Rovim

3 minutes ago, Rovim said:

Yes they can. Of course they can. Just like someone can prefer Sorum over Adler or Brain. I think it's unlikely they don't like the original 5 as well but they don't have to like that incarnation the most. There is no objective ideal here.

There are certain things we as fans, most fans, agree on, like critics in a way. But even something like Appetite which is considered as being the masterpiece is not universally favored among Gn'R fans. A lot of them prefer UYI, Perhaps Lies I would imagine. So why not Chinese? and why not the people who were responsible for the sounds that person likes the most?

It makes sense as well cause all these other people, they did not just create alone what some fans prefer, it was in connection to Axl which was a part of old Guns. You don't control what you like and that could be just one potential reason of what made them decide for now that this is what they prefer. Strictly based on the music in this case, or in Russ's case imo.

Okay so basically, you're saying it is possible for somebody to prefer Paul Huge in terms of Guns N' Roses over Slash? Unfortunately I cannot fathom that whatsoever. 

I understand what you're saying to me, you're basically telling me everybody has a differing opinion and nobody is right or wrong, which is true, but I do not believe CD to be a Guns N' Roses album,  or its era to be an era of Guns N' Roses, that is where the stumbling block is basically at. And I even like some of the CD era songs, I absolutely love Better! But I just think it's a song on an album by Axl Rose's band that obtained the legal rights to call 'Guns N' Roses'.

2 minutes ago, Rovim said:

Doesn't matter. Russ is still getting away with it and no one is doing shit to stop him. What the fuck. He admitted he prefers Chinese. Tarnishing the legacy as we speak!

He, as an individual, may not be tarnishing the legacy, but the CD era is most certainly famous for tarnishing the GNR legacy. Where opinions differ, facts do not lie. Good day sir.