Do you view 2016 GnR as a reunion or a continuation from 2014?

Reunion or Continuation?  

186 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

45 minutes ago, Philipm787 said:

Seeing as though yourself and several others quoted my post, I would like clear a few things up:

1. You say you prefer CD over AFD as a record, and that's fine, it's your opinion, what I was getting at is, for example, one poster said yesterday that they missed robin finck, which I believe to be an insult to the real gnr because he was only ever a member of what I, and many others refer to as the Axl Rose band.

2. I like some CD material, but my perception of that record and it's era is that it's simply not Guns N' Roses to me. 

3. I stand by what I said in saying that the AFD lineup is the real GNR, with any reincarnations of that (including UYI and now) being missing something, apart from the members obviously. 1985-1989 is Guns N' Roses to me. You may disagree, but it's my own opinion.

4. And finally, when I said people not being 'real fans' or 'disgusting me', I was referring to people preferring the CD era (1999-2014), over the AFD era (1985-1989) in terms of output, shows and press/publicity. They, in my opinion, are not real Guns N' Roses fans, they are Axl Rose fanatics.

I get that all of that represents your opinion but what you have to realize is that it's just that: your opinion. 

I'm one that falls into the camp of missing Robin. He was and still is my favorite guitarist GNR has ever had. I saw GNR with Slash 3 times before Robin was in the band and once so far after Robin was in the band but Robin remains my favorite. 

You choose to think Robin was never a member of GNR which you're welcome to do. In the same regard, I'm welcome to not only see him as a member of GNR but my favorite on top of that. 

None of that is disrespectful to Slash because I think Slash is great. I don't have to think Slash is awful just because I like Robin better overall. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I get that all of that represents your opinion but what you have to realize is that it's just that: your opinion. 

I'm one that falls into the camp of missing Robin. He was and still is my favorite guitarist GNR has ever had. I saw GNR with Slash 3 times before Robin was in the band and once so far after Robin was in the band but Robin remains my favorite. 

You choose to think Robin was never a member of GNR which you're welcome to do. In the same regard, I'm welcome to not only see him as a member of GNR but my favorite on top of that. 

None of that is disrespectful to Slash because I think Slash is great. I don't have to think Slash is awful just because I like Robin better overall. 

Okay, and I'm a massive Slash fan, and call me small minded, but I genuinely cannot fathom how you prefer Robin in terms of Guns N' Roses. I don't hate Robin, he actually contributed to the making of a record, but in terms of guitar playing and importance to GNR, Slash wins it for me everyday, and I would say it's the same for the majority of GNR fans.

I would think that preferring Robin to Slash in GNR is an insult to him and the legacy, but now I realise that perhaps that is just my opinion. You are entitled to your opinion, I just don't understand it.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Philipm787 said:

Okay, and I'm a massive Slash fan, and call me small minded, but I genuinely cannot fathom how you prefer Robin in terms of Guns N' Roses. I don't hate Robin, he actually contributed to the making of a record, but in terms of guitar playing and importance to GNR, Slash wins it for me everyday, and I would say it's the same for the majority of GNR fans.

I would think that preferring Robin to Slash in GNR is an insult to him and the legacy, but now I realise that perhaps that is just my opinion. You are entitled to your opinion, I just don't understand it.

I think Robin is a great guitar player. Buckethead too. Slash is great imo, but we all have read or heard people saying he isn't good.

Opinions... 

Still, anyone witha pair of ears should recognize that the guitar work on Better is magnificent. Pretty much everything Robin does on the whole album is spot on

5 minutes ago, BreakDown2014 said:

I think Robin is a great guitar player. Buckethead too. Slash is great imo, but we all have read or heard people saying he isn't good.

Opinions... 

Still, anyone witha pair of ears should recognize that the guitar work on Better is magnificent. Pretty much everything Robin does on the whole album is spot on

I would argue Slash is 100% considered the greatest, in terms of GNR.

Oh yeah most definitely, I love the song better, as I stated above. I don't really get what the second half of your post is saying?

35 minutes ago, Wagszilla said:

If someone likes a particular lineup and thinks that's the best one, awesome, make a strong argument why and I will listen. 

Pretty much everything in this world is an opinion. But there's a difference between opinion and qualified opinion. Repeating the same old taking points out of spite and anger will get you nowhere with me. A strong argument will.  

What I don't particularly care for is when someone insists that others are somehow inferior for having another opinion. Or shitpost on a message board, social media site, etc., berating others. Then you're just a toxic asshole and I wish the worst for you.

I have a lot of thoughts on all of Guns N' Roses music but my personal opinion is that every lineup after Robin left has been a fucking travesty and while I wish Buckethead and Robin were both still in the band, the current lineup is far, far more tolerable than that nonsense from 2009-2014. 

No need for strong arguments, AFD is universally considered the 'best' lineup of GNR, this is not an opinion, this is fact. It's album has sold the most copies, by a long way, and that's what it's about really isn't it, as a musical artist/group? It's about creating something, distributing it, and hoping for the best.

I'm all for opinions, everyone is wholly entitled to their own, my original post was too vague and too easy to misinterpret, for that I do apologise.

This is where my differing opinion comes in. I would think it's safe to say 99% of GNR fans would have had Slash and Duff back before Robin and Buckethead. I think it would have been cool if Axl went fully solo and had a lineup with Robin and Buckethead, but instead he chose to have them in a band he had obtained the rights to call Guns N' Roses. A band which I will never consider to be real Guns N' Roses or anywhere near as good or successful. This is my, and I would bet the majority of GNR fans opinions.

• Like 1

I go back to my point a few posts back Axl & Slash are Guns n Roses. Duff played in The Axl Rose Band but it was never billed as a Guns reunion. Izzy played in The Axl Rose Band it was never billed as a Guns reunion. The only way this would ever be classed as a Guns reunion was Axl & Slash reuniting. Without either one of them it's not Guns. As I said it's not The Stones without Mick & Keef, it's not The Beatles without John & Paul, it's not Zep without Robert & Jimmy I could go on I hope you understand what I'm trying to say. This is THE reunion of Guns nothing else before was.

1 hour ago, Philipm787 said:

Right on. 

Please understand that I do get how my opinion is crazy to others. On top of that, you're certainly not the first to tell me so haha. 

Just know that I mean absolutely no disrespect to Slash in stating that opinion. I could be wrong,  but I honestly don't think I've ever insulted Slash with respect to his guitar playing. It's never been about that for me. I don't feel the need to insult someone who left GNR just because they left GNR. If I was a fan of them while they were in GNR, I remain so after. 

23 minutes ago, AFD5 said:

I go back to my point a few posts back Axl & Slash are Guns n Roses. Duff played in The Axl Rose Band but it was never billed as a Guns reunion. Izzy played in The Axl Rose Band it was never billed as a Guns reunion. The only way this would ever be classed as a Guns reunion was Axl & Slash reuniting. Without either one of them it's not Guns. As I said it's not The Stones without Mick & Keef, it's not The Beatles without John & Paul, it's not Zep without Robert & Jimmy I could go on I hope you understand what I'm trying to say. This is THE reunion of Guns nothing else before was.

And I hope you understand it's not a Stones situation without Izzy. It's not John and Paul or Plant and Page. Every band is different. In Guns, No Appetite or Lies without him. No key songs and singles like You Could Be Mine and Don't Cry. No Dust N' Bones.

For touring purposes they don't really need Izzy imo. He can still play just fine though, sounded great on Ghost for example. As a fan I feel it will be great if he becomes a part of it in some capacity in the near future. My point is in Guns it only perfectly clicked when it was the 5 of them. Adler as well. Every person brought their own unique elements and in Guns every classic member was of the utmost importance to the sound. Like if you want to really nail the recipe, you need the exact ingredients to prepare it.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Right on. 

Please understand that I do get how my opinion is crazy to others. On top of that, you're certainly not the first to tell me so haha. 

Just know that I mean absolutely no disrespect to Slash in stating that opinion. I could be wrong,  but I honestly don't think I've ever insulted Slash with respect to his guitar playing. It's never been about that for me. I don't feel the need to insult someone who left GNR just because they left GNR. If I was a fan of them while they were in GNR, I remain so after. 

But well infairness it's your opinion, and you stand by it, and that deserves respect. 

Yeah I understand your points now, obviously don't agree with them but well opinions and all that. I'm just too much of a Slash fan to accept any other player as Guns' lead guitar player haha. Hope I haven't caused too much offence.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Philipm787 said:

But well infairness it's your opinion, and you stand by it, and that deserves respect. 

Yeah I understand your points now, obviously don't agree with them but well opinions and all that. I'm just too much of a Slash fan to accept any other player as Guns' lead guitar player haha. Hope I haven't caused too much offence.

Not at all! I'm all for differing opinions. That's the stuff that makes the world go 'round. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Philipm787 said:

I would think that preferring Robin to Slash in GNR is an insult to him and the legacy, but now I realise that perhaps that is just my opinion.

I highly doubt many artists feel insulted when fans prefer someone else :D You have to be pretty bloody full of yourself to be insulted when not everybody has you as their favourite. I

My problem with your post isn't the fact that you prefer the AFD lineup, that is a totally valid opinion which I happen to share, or that you have convinced yourself that GN'R didn't exist in 2001-2015, that is only an amusing coping mechanism, but that you felt disgusted over people downplaying AFD and that you felt it was insulting to the band membes when people don't have them as their favourites. Having such an antagonistic perspective on differing opinions can't be good.

27 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

I dig izzy, Gilby, Bucket, Robin, Richard, and Ron a ton too

Lots of awesome guitarists in GnR

I see you did not include DJ Ashba in there. Just pointing that out. And I'm not sure if Gilbert was as awesome as the rest of them though. And what about Paul. He's probably going to be responsible for half the songs Slash will play on if another Guns album is ever released. I'd say it's pretty awesome even right now where Slash is playing Twat and kinda funny.

Slash was always and still remains my favorite Guns lead guitar player, but I can understand why someone will prefer Bucket truly I do. Robin as well. Together their styles formed a very distinct sound that stands on it's own imo. The guitars on Chinese are top notch.

Edited by Rovim

43 minutes ago, AFD5 said:

It is still not billed as a reunuion...

And this is all just your opinions, anyway, which fly in the face of what the band is actually called. If a band is called Guns N' Roses and is the direct descendant of previous versions of the same band, and this is all uncontested, then I am not going to claim it isn't Guns N' Roses :D But do as you please. If you want to argue that YOU struggle with accepting it as Guns N' Roses because you have defined some rules for what is required for something to be Guns N' Roses, then that no one is going to stop you.

Gilby did some cool shit on the UYI tour and I really dig Pawnshop Guitars

Tobias added zero to the few live shows he was in, but has contributed some great writing to GNR. I just always forget to include him as a member

DJ... just not awesome. I didn't hate him like everyone else but the guy is definitely a huge tool. Glad he's gone

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Right on. 

Even if you didn't like Slash, you could still voice that opinion without that necessarily being "disrespecting" of him. Thye are artists, it lies in the nature of art that it won't be everyone's cup of tea. Take Axl as an example, a very polarizing voice. People must be able to say that they think his singing is really bad without people being disgusted by it, feel it is an insult to Axl, or disrespecting him. Come on, people. And just because 99.99999 % agree on something, like Finck not being the best guitarist in GN'R, that consensus view also doesn't mean that dissenting opinions are insulting or disrespectful.

This wasn't necesarrily directed at Russ but the general direction of the discussion.

6 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

Gilby did some cool shit on the UYI tour and I really dig Pawnshop Guitars

Tobias added zero to the few live shows he was in, but has contributed some great writing to GNR. I just always forget to include him as a member

DJ... just not awesome. I didn't hate him like everyone else but the guy is definitely a huge tool. Glad he's gone

Never cared for Gilby penned tunes, but I was talking in connection to Gn'R. Clerk contributed zero to the studio albums while Paul's domain is the studio and he had a chance to like it or not influence the direction the band took. Musical direction. That's much more than what Gubly ever achieved.

Edited by Rovim

yeah but Gilbys sexy:lol:

12 minutes ago, Rovim said:

Never cared for Gilby penned tunes, but I was talking in connection to Gn'R. Clerk contributed zero to the studio albums while Paul's domain is the studio and he had a chance to like it or not influence the direction the band took. Musical direction. That's much more than what Gubly ever achieved.

1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

I highly doubt many artists feel insulted when fans prefer someone else :D You have to be pretty bloody full of yourself to be insulted when not everybody has you as their favourite. I

My problem with your post isn't the fact that you prefer the AFD lineup, that is a totally valid opinion which I happen to share, or that you have convinced yourself that GN'R didn't exist in 2001-2015, that is only an amusing coping mechanism, but that you felt disgusted over people downplaying AFD and that you felt it was insulting to the band membes when people don't have them as their favourites. Having such an antagonistic perspective on differing opinions can't be good.

I never said Slash felt insulted, I felt he was being insulted, but that's just my opinion. 

GNR, as I know it and love it, did not exist between 2001-2014? And yes, that is my opinion, the AFD 5 do not have to be everyone's favourite members in the history of GNR, but they are mine, and I shouldn't have been so antagonising in my portrayal of that. But I'm only 17, so, well, fuck it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

you have convinced yourself that GN'R didn't exist in 2001-2015

I would say to the majority of Gn'R fans in the world would agree, it didn't exist.

I think 99% of rock fans would also agree that when you have one original member left in a band who is only a shell of his former self  and the reason his band members all left that it really isn't the same band. Gn'R weren't some nameless band where you only knew the singer. Then due to Axl's ego he releases an album with a mash up of like 15 different band members that musically doesn't sound anything like the legendary albums the band previously released. It just isn't Gn'R to most no matter what the name says on the front of the album. It was the Axl Rose band and he would have gained a lot more respect if he was able to admit that.

• Like 1

On April 29, 2016 at 6:29 PM, ohmygod said:

BBF left for God knows why

Reunion.  

BBF left because he KNEW Slash and Axl were friendly again.  He probably knew about the plans for 2016, too.  He only left and was quiet about it because he didn't want to come out and say Slash was back in the band.  

That's pretty obvious.

Even some of Slash's band members said somewhere that they knew about it all last summer.  So I'm pretty sure Tommy and Bumble stepped aside to let the reunion happen.  DJ followed suit.  In fact, most of us were putting the dots together last summer when all of this was happening.  

But I do think that there will be a 'continuation' of the 'Axl material' from the CD sessions, with Slash and Duff's take on it, with some new stuff of their own mixed in.  All of that simply to expedite the process.  

I think they all realize that they're not getting any younger and they have, conservatively, 10 years to pump out some new material and be relevant again and somehow salvage the reputation and legacy of GNR.  Realistically, 5 years.  

So I think there's a sense of urgency to get the ball rolling on various projects and, quite literally, make up for lost time.

I think we're all in for a lot from GNR over the course of the next 5-10 years.  

4 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

I would say to the majority of Gn'R fans in the world would agree, it didn't exist.

I think 99% of rock fans would also agree that when you have one original member left in a band who is only a shell of his former self  and the reason his band members all left that it really isn't the same band. Gn'R weren't some nameless band where you only knew the singer. Then due to Axl's ego he releases an album with a mash up of like 15 different band members that musically doesn't sound anything like the legendary albums the band previously released. It just isn't Gn'R to most no matter what the name says on the front of the album. It was the Axl Rose band and he would have gained a lot more respect if he was able to admit that.

Well the original plan was to replace the members that quit/were drove out, make an album and continue along under the Guns N'Roses banner in the late 90's, it's just that the album ended up being delayed for whatever the actual reasons were for what? 12 years? I guess Axl'd already committed to this being a continuation of GNR, even though once all that time and all those members came and went there was really no chance of a new band carrying on the GNR name. Had they of actually done something in the late 90's with a steady line up they may have earned some respect as a real band and a continuation of Guns N'Roses, but they didn't, and all it ended up being was an Axl Rose solo album with various contributors. 

Aside from using the name to generate interested I don't know why he insisted on calling the new band Guns N'Roses anyway. Guns N'Roses was established as a dangerous band of street junkies (which I mean in the nicest way possible) who could die at anytime. The new guys were just guys. Some were weird, but just guys.

Edited by Modano09
  • Like 1