Guns N' Roses - MTV Video Music Awards 2002 (Master Copy)

I hope Axl writes a book someday, for a lot of reasons, but especially to explain just what in the world was going on here.  I mean, this is 16 years ago and he sounded awful.  He sings Jungle great now.  Even in the crappy 2011-14 years he could pull of a good Jungle.  Was he trying something new or could he just not do it? It honestly sounded like he couldn't help it. 

4 hours ago, weaponsnflowers said:

I can't understand why Axl didn't prep for that performance in advance. He was out of breath and really struggles to make it through vocally. He must have noticed by the time of the rehearsals that "fuck I'm out of shape". Why he didn't check himself before that is a mystery.

From what I remember, they had just gotten back from China and there was a cold going around in the band

I was 18 when this was on mtv and I just remember it creating a hell of a buzz. People were just excited that they were back and I didn't really hear too much about them sounding bad. I know I freaked out with excitement when Kurt loader interviewed him coming off stage, Axl announced a North America tour. Saw them in Pittsburgh and they definitely won me over. I've been a huge supporter of everything Axl/GNR ever since. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, weaponsnflowers said:

I can't understand why Axl didn't prep for that performance in advance. He was out of breath and really struggles to make it through vocally. He must have noticed by the time of the rehearsals that "fuck I'm out of shape". Why he didn't check himself before that is a mystery.

They played six shows on a short Eurasian tour days before the VMA's, plus Axl rehearsed with the band before the show. 

5 hours ago, supercool said:

madagascar is a good song.

but it wasn't a good idea to play it at the vma because it's too sad.

axl's voice isn't good, too weak, but he looked great, better than now (too fat).

Lol, this was 15 years ago! Do you look better now than you did then? 41 compared to 54 is like comparing an 16 year old to a 35 year old. 

Performance was shite at the VMA's. Don't enjoy watching it. It is up there with rio 2011 and Bridge school..... 

At that time, despite of some details, the NuGnr looked like a real BAND, not just Axl with some guys. Of course, it wasn't the real GN'R, but the band had an identity, a visual and a whole new setlist pre-Chinese that they could have worked more on it.

• Like 1

I remember being glued to the TV waiting to see if the rumors of a GnR performance were true. Then watching Fallon drop hints here & there through the night really got my anticipation up. Then it happened, Guns played and I was like "WTF was THAT!?".

Thats a night i will never forget. All those rumours days and weeks before the vmas. Then at the day of the show pink kinda gave away the surprise on the red carpet by saying she wants to see buckethead. Jimmy fallon giving all those hints.... I think when they came on stage it was like 6am in germany. Will never forget the feeling when fallon introduced them. That was fucking epic.

6 hours ago, supercool said:

madagascar is a good song.

but it wasn't a good idea to play it at the vma because it's too sad.

axl's voice isn't good, too weak, but he looked great, better than now (too fat).

Too fat now? How can you say that, some gain a little weight later in life. But he has lost some weight since 2014, looks quite good tbh.

1 minute ago, maxpax said:

Yeah, a freakshow identity. 99% of the TV and vma audience expected slash and Axl at least...and then you got Axl with braids and a botoxed face, a Marilyn mansons like guitarist, a guy with a KFC bucket and a mask + 2 other guitarist...i was shocked. I think a lot of people thought: wow, Axl is insane...he is destroying the gnr brand. There are so many open questions about axl's gnr vision back then...how could he think that the mainstream would dig NuGnR? While saying this...its reall a shame, that Axl didn't choose an other name for this band and didn't release 3 albums in a row. Cause the experimental project itself was really interesting. But not under the brand of GnR...

Of course that what I said is related to the thinking of that band WASN'T GN'R. Never! It's Axl's solo project since 1996. But it was a BAND not just Axl with some random guys, like NuGNR became to be last years.

35 minutes ago, lassie said:

Too fat now? How can you say that, some gain a little weight later in life. But he has lost some weight since 2014, looks quite good tbh.

"some gain a little weight later in life" ? are you kidding ?

axl is way too fat, it's almost disrespectful towards the audience.

1 hour ago, bangit said:

Lol, this was 15 years ago! Do you look better now than you did then? 41 compared to 54 is like comparing an 16 year old to a 35 year old. 

but i'm not a rock star.

rock stars are supposed to age well and look great.

axl should make an effort.

Edited by supercool
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, -W.A.R- said:

i'm still trying to wrap my mind around what Axl was thinking with this group

no disrespect to Buckethead or Finck as they are fantastic players but were not fits for GNR

then you got Axl decked out in a 3x football jersey with dreads sounding like mickey mouse

embarrassing to the highest degree

I always felt he looked at the likes of Marilyn Manson and Slipknot and decided that was the way to go if he wanted to stay relevant. The opposite of how he reacted to grunge.

4 hours ago, Wagszilla said:

Why is the master in 480p? Wat. 

This performance kick started my obsession with GN'R.

That scream on Jungle was beast, I fell in love with Madagascar, and the energy was incomparable. 

The 2002 band is so underrated even if Axl struggled through a lot of performances.

Incomparable? I'd say ISE during the Ritz show had quite a lot more "energy" than this... as well as Perfect Crime Indiana 1991 as well.

1 hour ago, maxpax said:

Yeah, a freakshow identity. 99% of the TV and vma audience expected slash and Axl at least...and then you got Axl with braids and a botoxed face, a Marilyn manson like guitarist, a guy with a KFC bucket and a mask + 2 other guitarists...i was shocked. I think a lot of people thought: wow, Axl is insane...he is destroying the gnr brand. There are so many open questions about axl's gnr vision back then...how could he think that the mainstream would dig NuGnR? While saying this...its reall a shame, that Axl didn't choose an other name for this band and didn't release 3 albums in a row. Cause the experimental project itself was really interesting. But not under the brand of GnR...

yeah i was more into Eminem around this time but i can only image the horror of being a long time GNR fan and them coming out looking like this

52 minutes ago, supercool said:

"some gain a little weight later in life" ? are you kidding ?

axl is way too fat, it's almost disrespectful towards the audience.

but i'm not a rock star.

rock stars are supposed to age well and look great.

axl should make an effort.

He has, have you not seen the shows from last month? He has lost alot since 2014. Damn you are a tight mean man, with nothing better to do than trash other people.

35 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

you're full of shit. Axl before the Vegas shows

AXL.jpg

True he has lost alot, he looks good these days :-)

This isn't from the master tape, it's from an emmy-screener DVD of the show

I have a copy that I got from eBay years ago - it's probably rare now

Jimmy Fallon was nominated for an emmy for his performance as host

Edited by TheSeeker
  • Like 1