Guns N' Roses - MTV Video Music Awards 2002 (Master Copy)

So many moments... :o You tend to forget about this until it's brought back to your attention... so, so bad!

I remember watching this when I was 12 or 13 and thinking "this is amazing" totally, over looking the fact that he was blowing chunks. In my defence I was young(er), and the idea that GnR were back was amazing to me. I recorded it on VHS, accidentally taping over The Bret Hart story :P and I must have watched and re-watched it a hundred times. NOW!!!? I can't see what I thought was so great about it :D 

Never noticed him saying "round one" before... best laid plans :P

Axl's appearance and the band did not shock me as much because I'd been keeping up with everything the band had been doing since 2000 (even saw the H.O.B. 01/01/01 show). Still, for better or worse, this performance pretty much defined Axl and Guns N' Roses in the public's mind until, honestly, around 2011 or 2012. I remember even when the band started playing again in 2009/2010, you'd still see pictures of Axl at the VMAs attached to all GN'R related stories. 

13 hours ago, supercool said:

madagascar is a good song.

but it wasn't a good idea to play it at the vma because it's too sad.

axl's voice isn't good, too weak, but he looked great, better than now (too fat).

I used to watch this performance constantly during the "silent years" because it was all we had and it was a big deal for the die-hard fans, but let's be honest: Axl looked like a freak. It was pretty obvious he'd had a chemical peel or some Botox done right beforehand, and it gave him/the new band a negative stigma for years to come. It wasn't until he resurfaced in 2006 that he gradually kind of began to erase the whole VMAs debacle in the eyes of the general public... but people still joke about it - even Patton Oswalt had a bit about it in his last stand-up special.

11 minutes ago, themadcaplaughs said:

Axl's appearance and the band did not shock me as much because I'd been keeping up with everything the band had been doing since 2000 (even saw the H.O.B. 01/01/01 show). Still, for better or worse, this performance pretty much defined Axl and Guns N' Roses in the public's mind until, honestly, around 2011 or 2012. I remember even when the band started playing again in 2009/2010, you'd still see pictures of Axl at the VMAs attached to all GN'R related stories. 

Yep.

8 hours ago, nikosgnr said:

And also this.. Love this "version" of Axl. Find the differences :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amxaFT3lsSs

I remember staying up hours waiting for Axl's appearance that night... people were convinced he was going to do a surprise performance, and when he began the WTTJ scream, a bunch of people got excited...and then nothing happened. :lol: Good times.

• Like 1

I didn't think it was that bad madagascar was performed really well... But the oversized NFL shirt & braids not tied back was such a wrong look for Axl,

I wish the 2006 band performed in the vma's to make up for this.

Edited by Hasan--97

7 hours ago, axlrose42025 said:

Loved the outro to paradise here really wish I cld here the studio version of nu-gnr paradise city w bucket and robin 

BH isn't on the AFD studio version  that Axl re did.  That version of the band is Axl, Tommy, Dizzy, Robin, Paul Huge and Josh Freese. 

I was 15 at the time when this was aired and was super excited GN'R were back; i watched and re-watched the entire show many times and also happened to  show the video (thanks kazaa) to my elder brother who asked two things, where's slash? What happened to axl's hair? But he did find Madagascar interesting. 

Now though, I haven't watched this performance in years. I don't like it one bit, the 2006 era guns sounded so good simply because axl was out to prove a point. Post that, I just stopped caring about gn'r and followed slash and Duff with their careers. 

Thank heavens, they set aside their differences, ashba and bumblebee or whatever plus that bassist left the band and GN'R has slash and Duff back 

19 hours ago, youngunner said:

One of the best moments of GnR. Axl was bad on PC but everything else was great,

Really? Buckethead.. the guy who looks like an stand-in from Hellraiser.. Axl's football jersey and cornrows. The whole thing makes me cringe. But I recall watching this show live in the middle of the night back then, and thinking it was the best thing ever.

7 hours ago, lightBLASTER said:

I've always loved the way the 2002 band looked more than any other lineup. They looked fucking crazy. Axl's braids rocked.

That always confused me as well. To this day I don't know whether he just meant it as a joke, or if he was mistaken and thought they were taking song requests. Fallon is a weird guy and was probably coked up at the time.

3 hours ago, Wagszilla said:

I don't care about appearances. I understand they're important in some capacity but if you obsess over that shit, then you deserve Kesha and Sarah Palin. 

That said, it's a shame Axl didn't stick with his look from The Joint in the Vegas 2001 shows.

Those were awesome. 

Axl13.jpg

in some pics, like this one, he looked good. the halfbraids were much better. the band looked best in 2006. i think its pretty obvious that axl/the band had no stylist in 2001-2002.