Guns N' Roses - MTV Video Music Awards 2002 (Master Copy)

axl was better at pukkelpop than at the vmas. this band was interesting, but calling the band "guns n' roses" was just a horrible idea in so many ways. a vma performance still would have been shocking. and many people would have been intersted in this band. axls new look would have been good for his new vision/band.

the change of gnr was like from face to heel in wrestling. or changing the WWE/WWF into the WCW. there was no need for changing the musical direction of GnR in 2002. people still wanted to hear axl, slash, duff...the proof for that was VR. it also would have been a better marketing choice if VR had a feud/rivalry with Axl's band. but all of this simply didn't happen...i will never understand why axl didn't realize that it would have been much easier for him just using his name for a new band. he was still one of the biggest names in rock. the releasing of new material would have been much more relaxing. 

• Like 1

To me, it's always been Guns N' Roses. There are moments through-out the last 16 years that have been amazing.

Boston/Albany/Toronto 2002 were fucking great!.

Re-watching this VMA performance it's clear something was wrong, however the energy alone makes up for it. Plus, Madagascar was epic.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PirateRadio said:

Complete disaster. Sorry....1994 - April Fool's Day, 2016 (the hype was nice too) was a complete and utter disaster.

Turned into my worst phobia 
A crazy man's utopia 
If you're lost no one can show ya 
But it sure was glad to know ya!

On May 4, 2016 at 6:13 PM, Bansidhe said:

They should have had a GN'R/VR 'Invasion' angle. 

Dave Kushner runs onstage at a Guns show, smacks Stinson with a chair then runs off into the crowd.

19 hours ago, The Real McCoy said:

14 years later and Fortus is the last man standing.

Chair shots... Last Man Standing...

Are you guys thinking what I'm thinking?

• 1 year later...
10 minutes ago, Wagszilla said:

I read awhile ago on HTGTH that the sports jerseys look was specifically due to a stylist according to Jarmo. 

Even though they were en vogue at the time, it provided a cover for and exacerbated Axl's weight issues.

weight issues? wtf is this weight issues nonsense coming from anyway :facepalm: between 1986-2007 he was NOT fat or had any obesity what so ever. in recent years he may have got some belly fat and a bit bulkier face but not obese in any way. it's almost ridiculous how some people think he is so fat when he's actually isn't :P   If someone looked exactly the same when 20 or 50-60 i would be worried lol. 

Sorry for the OT but i'm VERY bored and whiny tonight.. :P

1 hour ago, Wagszilla said:

I read awhile ago on HTGTH that the sports jerseys look was specifically due to a stylist according to Jarmo. 

Even though they were en vogue at the time, it provided a cover for and exacerbated Axl's weight issues.

But the jerseys were not covers for his weight... These pics are apparently from the same night in December 2001. Axl looked really in shape and cool in that first pic. 

MYGNR_LARS_LAS_VEGAS_DEC_29_2001_3_Big.j

1298868674806_f.jpg

AxlRobin2.jpg

Axl11-1.jpg

Axl18-1.jpg

8 months later he looked like this...totally botoxed...and fake hair...

2002-axl-rose-2236126.jpg

And here is another jersey pic from 1994 

https://i.imgsafe.org/ed2e210a50.jpg

Edited by 2414225

2 hours ago, 2414225 said:

But the jerseys were not covers for his weight... These pics are apparently from the same night in December 2001. Axl looked really in shape and cool in that first pic. 

MYGNR_LARS_LAS_VEGAS_DEC_29_2001_3_Big.j

1298868674806_f.jpg

AxlRobin2.jpg

Axl11-1.jpg

Axl18-1.jpg

8 months later he looked like this...totally botoxed...and fake hair...

2002-axl-rose-2236126.jpg

And here is another jersey pic from 1994 

https://i.imgsafe.org/ed2e210a50.jpg

No way that pic is 1994.  And looking at all the pics- it's sad really.   Too bad a sober Duff wasnt around to help him....too many users, hangers on and abusers took over.   

• Like 1

Waste of his youth - that's the first thing that comes to mind seeing those pics. He still looked young back then.

If he had patched up with Duff and Slash, they would still have been vital and relevant enough to re-conquer the world and take back the rock throne. 

• Like 2

On 2016-4-30 at 0:34 PM, Gibbo said:

Thanks to JIMBEAM for this copy from the master 

Its a bit blocky on youtube for some reason

jjjj_zpsfr5ixfrn.png

It's probably so blocky because youtube compresses the crap out of everything you upload haha 

On 2016-4-30 at 1:23 PM, supercool said:

madagascar is a good song.

but it wasn't a good idea to play it at the vma because it's too sad.

axl's voice isn't good, too weak, but he looked great, better than now (too fat).

I believe that's the way he wanted it because in an interview i heard him say that fans weren't reacting to that very well so he reverted back to his raspy voice, he was trying to go for a very clean sounding voice 

On 4/30/2016 at 7:58 AM, weaponsnflowers said:

I can't understand why Axl didn't prep for that performance in advance. He was out of breath and really struggles to make it through vocally. He must have noticed by the time of the rehearsals that "fuck I'm out of shape". Why he didn't check himself before that is a mystery.

You can believe it or not, but I think I recall correctly that he claimed to have had issues with his in-ear monitor.  He did fiddle a lot with it during the performance.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dar97 said:

It's probably so blocky because youtube compresses the crap out of everything you upload haha 

It's from a emmy screener DVD that tried to fit the entire 3+ hour show onto a single DVD - the compression artifacts were on the DVD

2 hours ago, ericy210 said:

You can believe it or not, but I think I recall correctly that he claimed to have had issues with his in-ear monitor.  He did fiddle a lot with it during the performance.

I think it was in the 06 Trunk interview, but he said he was running late and literally ran to the venue (and someone confused him for Kid Rock :lol:) so that explains why he sounds out of breath...

17 hours ago, SWINGTRADER said:

The worst musical performance in the history of live television. THe entire package was a bad joke.

The sad thing is that this was not a one-off. The entire year of 2002 was a damn train wreck.

I think everyone who saw Axl and Gn'R years ago was 'Wtf?' that night. Simply everything about it was shocking. I even thought that Buckethead was just Slash dressed like a serial killer with a KFC bucket instead of his top head. 

You could see that Axl had problems with his ear plugs, but... It was his big global return...and it was the first time in his career that he had vocal problems. This performance destroyed Axl's and NuGnRs MTV career instantly. 

• Like 2

I remember the first hint Fallon dropped during th show and my ears perked up like a dog. Then when I saw him wearing the GNR t-shirt I darted to grab a blank VHS tape to record it! I was 15 years old.

That was also the first time I laid eyes on Bucket!

• Like 1

To say it was the worst musical performance in tv history is a bit of an exaggeration, no?

Madagascar sounded pretty good, and the energy was high.

Too bad Axl couldn't have been on point like he was during the NA tour a few months later (Albany, T.O., Boston).

• Like 1