Guns N' Roses - MTV Video Music Awards 2002 (Master Copy)

It was. In the after show interview with Loder, Axl mentioned that a full North American tour had been planned, and I think they announced it the next week (if not the next day). After the tour ended prematurely and Axl went into hiding, the label knew nothing was coming, but throughout 2002 they really did think it was in the can. Apparently, it was the most enthused Axl ever felt about the album, and it really was all but done.

How the fuck anyone can say it was even good, let alone the best version of Madagascar, is beyond me. It was the absolute worst ever, not even 1/4 as strong as the 3 soundboards from 2002; not even close to Albany, MSG, Leeds, Pukkelpop, Tokyo, Osaka......

He has absolutely NO FUCKING POWER and you can see and hear the strain when he sings "never too late" that he's trying to fucking hard but there's just nothing there. And the high parts where he grabs the guy's hand and his voice wobbles everywhere...fuck me. Brutal.

I stayed up to watch that shit, told everyone I knew to set their recorders, thought it was going to be the start of the biggest comeback ever, and was absolutely gutted, embarrassed and deflated. 

Watched a few bits of it later just to check it really was that bad, haven't seen it in  about 13 years and never need to again.

Crazy to think that was 15 years ago and Madagascar is still an unknown/new song to most people. All that promise back then and...nothing.

41 minutes ago, Jordan Rose said:

How the fuck anyone can say it was even good, let alone the best version of Madagascar, is beyond me. It was the absolute worst ever, not even 1/4 as strong as the 3 soundboards from 2002; not even close to Albany, MSG, Leeds, Pukkelpop, Tokyo, Osaka......

He has absolutely NO FUCKING POWER and you can see and hear the strain when he sings "never too late" that he's trying to fucking hard but there's just nothing there. And the high parts where he grabs the guy's hand and his voice wobbles everywhere...fuck me. Brutal.

I stayed up to watch that shit, told everyone I knew to set their recorders, thought it was going to be the start of the biggest comeback ever, and was absolutely gutted, embarrassed and deflated. 

Watched a few bits of it later just to check it really was that bad, haven't seen it in  about 13 years and never need to again.

Crazy to think that was 15 years ago and Madagascar is still an unknown/new song to most people. All that promise back then and...nothing.

I think the way he hits the "oh freedom of the chains" is the best hes ever done it. He hits the note dead on , rather than lazily trailing up to the note like he did in every other performance of that song. The rest of it is vocally weak though. And to add to that, Bucketheads guitar wasnt working properly on that performance

48 minutes ago, Jordan Rose said:

Yea that's what proshot soundboards do to Axl's voice...completely expose him. 

Thats what he gets for "clearing" up his voice. He had one of the most beautiful tones, and vocals of anyone in the history of music...the fact that he thought singing in a falsetto would clear that up is beyond stupid. I'm not sure if he was going for a Robert Plant voice or what but if Axl Rose comes to me in 98 to clear up his voice I'm thinking of making him sound like Live Era on Its Alright....not f'n Mickey Mouse. 

Sad that this comeback didn't feature more of the Axl we know and less of the nugnr version that turned so many fans away. 

• Like 1

And another thing...is it not odd to anyone that he sings like he's sick all the time. That falsetto vocal register is so far away from his natural talking voice that it takes a considerable amount of effort for him to purposely sing like that. Either he had vocal surgery or he just likes screwing with us but either way his vocals should never fall back on that falsetto when his voice his weak...he should maintain a low register due to his talking voice. The fact that when we think he's the weakest is when he sings like that is alarming in that that voice is no where close to where he should be if he's struggling. He has to try really hard to sound like that and so it's terrible that he thinks that is a better sound to his ears that his lower register.

With that said he's just screwing with us Bc when he needed to impress a new audience he said "oh yea here's my rasp" I know that sounds better.

this backstabbing m'fuc*er 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, IncitingChaos said:

Yea that's what proshot soundboards do to Axl's voice...completely expose him. 

Thats what he gets for "clearing" up his voice. He had one of the most beautiful tones, and vocals of anyone in the history of music...the fact that he thought singing in a falsetto would clear that up is beyond stupid. I'm not sure if he was going for a Robert Plant voice or what but if Axl Rose comes to me in 98 to clear up his voice I'm thinking of making him sound like Live Era on Its Alright....not f'n Mickey Mouse. 

Sad that this comeback didn't feature more of the Axl we know and less of the nugnr version that turned so many fans away. 

Yeah, with the exception of Rock Am Ring '06. And to be fair, his clean voice on the 2002 tour was so powerful compared to recent years that I swear nobody even used to word falsetto back then and Mickey wasn't a thing. Madagascar Cleveland is strong as fuck and sounds more like top-of-his range powerful head voice and not weak falsetto.

Do you really think it's case of screwing with us and not just being very aware that he only has so much left in the tank and has to use it sparingly? He clearly chose to sing his ass off in '06-'10 and there are multiple obvious reasons we could attribute to that. Likewise it's not hard to come up with several reasons why he chose to save it in '11-'14. He's in a bit of a limbo phase again now with the future uncertain. I don't blame him for saving it. I'd much rather he had some decent vocals left to promote new material in the future than take years off his career rasping all over the old stuff. 

This makes Rock in Rio '11 look and sound like The Ritz '88. Just painful. Also, what the fuck is 4tus doing during Madagascar? It's like he's gyrating his guitar as if it's a fallic representation of his dick.

16 minutes ago, Jordan Rose said:

Yeah, with the exception of Rock Am Ring '06. And to be fair, his clean voice on the 2002 tour was so powerful compared to recent years that I swear nobody even used to word falsetto back then and Mickey wasn't a thing. Madagascar Cleveland is strong as fuck and sounds more like top-of-his range powerful head voice and not weak falsetto.

Do you really think it's case of screwing with us and not just being very aware that he only has so much left in the tank and has to use it sparingly? He clearly chose to sing his ass off in '06-'10 and there are multiple obvious reasons we could attribute to that. Likewise it's not hard to come up with several reasons why he chose to save it in '11-'14. He's in a bit of a limbo phase again now with the future uncertain. I don't blame him for saving it. I'd much rather he had some decent vocals left to promote new material in the future than take years off his career rasping all over the old stuff. 

Nobody that went to a 2002 show felt Axl was bad...many have said they enjoyed it more than any 88-93 show and Axl was a powerhouse still, so I don't doubt that. 

As far as Axl goes now it's clear to me that something happened to his vocal chords. His voice shouldn't fall back to that high pitched out of tune mickeyness. It's not natural. So I feel he's making a conscious effort to sing that way.

I think a lot of bad stuff happened for Axl following 2010...I beleive he did try to get a record out but ran into some serious roadblocks, but I also beleive he ran into some vocal conditions that forced the long layoff and caused the reduced version of his vocals that appeared between 11-14. There was a lot of behind the scene stuff with managers and his family going on during this time...I think it all accumulated to the I don't give a sh*t attitude and so the weight gain and vocal performance were a direct result.

He seems so happy now though. AC/DC really got him going again and renewing that relationship with Slash has to have brought some closure for him. I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that Axl returns with some incredible vocals the next 5 years. I see nothing stopping that from happening. If he can stay healthy things will get better. I just feel he's never been as well set up to be successful as he is right now. Things are going his way and I don't think he wants to mess this up 

• Like 1

When you combine poor management with ego, you get the vma's with axl and his employees making a joke of a once special rock n roll band.

These are the terrible life and musical choices made.  it makes me feel bad for axl, no one cared about him, they just wanted a cut of his money and so no one ever said no to him.  No one ever said "you look like a fool trying to sell the idea you are gnr alone", no one ever said "axl your solo songs don't compare to what you were writing with your brothers".  people just said yes to keep the moody little boy happy and the money coming in, and now the consequences: lost decades, lost talent, no new art, just a money grab reunion tour where still two band members are missing and axl and slash don't even look at one another, not to mention the band is managed by a retired nanny and her son who are also paid to be axl's "family". 

the vma show was a tragedy and will always be remembered as such.  it was a set up for the disasterous years to come for axl, his employee "band", his lawyers, Team Yes and all the lies they tried to sell together. 

imo :lol:

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Sunset Gardner said:

When you combine poor management with ego, you get the vma's with axl and his employees making a joke of a once special rock n roll band.

These are the terrible life and musical choices made.  it makes me feel bad for axl, no one cared about him, they just wanted a cut of his money and so no one ever said no to him.  No one ever said "you look like a fool trying to sell the idea you are gnr alone", no one ever said "axl your solo songs don't compare to what you were writing with your brothers".  people just said yes to keep the moody little boy happy and the money coming in, and now the consequences: lost decades, lost talent, no new art, just a money grab reunion tour where still two band members are missing and axl and slash don't even look at one another, not to mention the band is managed by a retired nanny and her son who are also paid to be axl's "family". 

the vma show was a tragedy and will always be remembered as such.  it was a set up for the disasterous years to come for axl, his employee "band", his lawyers, Team Yes and all the lies they tried to sell together. 

imo :lol:

Fuck, this really is '94 -> '17 in a nutshell.  I couldn't agree more.  SOMEONE along the way should've  said 'enough already, what the fuck are you doing, you're destroying the legacy of your own band!'... :facepalm:

• Like 1