Slash band member comments on the "reunion"

32 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Have Richard talked shit about Slash? Really, where? 

It all seems to be folklore.. Everyone is always saying that Slash Fortus in his band. I had never read or heard it anywhere besides here so I asked.  Someone said that a fan told Fortus on facebook that Slash was talking shit about him and Fortus replied that it was funny because Slash wanted him in his band.. Seems pretty far fetched to me but people around here treat it as gospel. It ended up that Slash wasn't talking about Fortus at all anyway and had been talking about Paul Huge. 

I know this was said  " Axl encompasses in a lot of ways what's missing from rock n' roll now — his mystique and he's an enigma. And he won't talk. He won't defend himself. People like Slash know that. They know Axl's not going to defend himself in the press. So they'll say whatever they want about him knowing he's not going to refute it."

1 hour ago, Billsfan said:

It was documented tho that Slash wanted Fortus in his band, according to Richard. He posted it on his Facebook in 2013, just can't find it on here but I did see it here awhile back. 

Richard saying something while he is pissed off due to misinformation makes it documented?

3 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

It all seems to be folklore.. Everyone is always saying that Slash Fortus in his band. I had never read or heard it anywhere besides here so I asked.  Someone said that a fan told Fortus on facebook that Slash was talking shit about him and Fortus replied that it was funny because Slash wanted him in his band.. Seems pretty far fetched to me but people around here treat it as gospel. It ended up that Slash wasn't talking about Fortus at all anyway and had been talking about Paul Huge. 

I know this was said  " Axl encompasses in a lot of ways what's missing from rock n' roll now — his mystique and he's an enigma. And he won't talk. He won't defend himself. People like Slash know that. They know Axl's not going to defend himself in the press. So they'll say whatever they want about him knowing he's not going to refute it."

Richard saying something while he is pissed off due to misinformation makes it documented?

He would have said "no that was about Paul Tobias. I don't know slash, never even met him. Got nothing against him". Slash and Fortus have wanted to collaborate for some time but couldn't because axl wasn't cool with slash at the time. But now they are so slash got what he wanted, to work with Fortus. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

Where was this ever said or documented besides from a pissed off Fortus post on his facebook?

Oh cmon you say that like Fortus was lying or something.. Why would slash not want to work with him? He's worked with tons of guys and Fortus is really talented. Just because he wasn't in the band from 1985-1993 doesn't make him worse than Izzy or gilby. Frankly he's better than gilby. So to counter yours well, no ones really denied it. Therefore fact until proven otherwise 

Edited by Billsfan

12 hours ago, Billsfan said:

Oh cmon you say that like Fortus was lying or something.. Why would slash not want to work with him? He's worked with tons of guys and Fortus is really talented. Just because he wasn't in the band from 1985-1993 doesn't make him worse than Izzy or gilby. Frankly he's better than gilby. So to counter yours well, no ones really denied it. Therefore fact until proven otherwise 

He could have been saying it in the heat of the moment. It could have been true. It could have been exaggerated. He could have heard it from someone who heard it from someone. No one knows. People here treat it like it was documented and notarized..

Fortus not being in the lineup has nothing to do with it for me. The band just simply doesn't sound as good with him to me for several reasons. He was the least of my worries going into this. Whether he is better than Gilby or not is subjective. I personally think the band sounded better from 91 - 93 with Gilby and there are tons of boots to prove it.  He just fit right in. It was a seamless replacement.. This band just doesn't sound as good and aside from Axl's voive, age should have nothing to do with that. They should sound just as good or even better than they did back then and they don't.

10 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

They should sound just as good or even better than they did back then and they don't.

To you. To others, they sound great.

Personally, I'm a strong advocate of the original 5. That's my dream scenario. But I was fine with the makeup of the band with Gilby and Matt. They still sounded fantastic, albeit slightly different.

Same logic applies now with Fortus and Ferrer. The band still sounds fantastic, albeit slightly different.

The one thing I do agree with you on is Ferrer not being as strong as Steven or Matt. I'm not saying he's horrible like you do, but I definitely notice more of a difference with him versus Steven/Matt than I do with Fortus versus Izzy/Gilby.

On Monday, May 02, 2016 at 3:41 PM, Tom-Ass said:

Where was this ever said or documented besides from a pissed off Fortus post on his facebook?

Besides the Facebook post you guys are talking about I found this which may or may not be related in some way. It does show Slash wanted to play with him

Did you play on The Dead Daisies song "Lock 'N' Load" with Slash?

No, that was recorded before I was in the band. I wouldn't do that out of respect to Axl – not that he would make a big deal out of it. But after all the shit that's gone down between those two guys it would be a real slap in the face. Slash wanted to sit in when I was with Thin Lizzy and I told Scott Gorham, the other guitar player, 'If Slash wants to sit in he can use my gear, my amp, and my guitars.' But just out of respect for my friend I can't stand on the same stage with Slash. And nobody asked me to do that, it's just a personal thing. And it's no slight to Slash, he's one of the greatest guitar players ever. I just can't do it out of respect for my friend [laughs].

7 hours ago, BOSSY78 said:

Besides the Facebook post you guys are talking about I found this which may or may not be related in some way. It does show Slash wanted to play with him

Did you play on The Dead Daisies song "Lock 'N' Load" with Slash?

No, that was recorded before I was in the band. I wouldn't do that out of respect to Axl – not that he would make a big deal out of it. But after all the shit that's gone down between those two guys it would be a real slap in the face. Slash wanted to sit in when I was with Thin Lizzy and I told Scott Gorham, the other guitar player, 'If Slash wants to sit in he can use my gear, my amp, and my guitars.' But just out of respect for my friend I can't stand on the same stage with Slash. And nobody asked me to do that, it's just a personal thing. And it's no slight to Slash, he's one of the greatest guitar players ever. I just can't do it out of respect for my friend [laughs].

Sounds more like Slash wanted to play with Thin Lizzy there. I doubt Fortus had anything to do with it.

14 hours ago, thunderram said:

To you. To others, they sound great.

Personally, I'm a strong advocate of the original 5. That's my dream scenario. But I was fine with the makeup of the band with Gilby and Matt. They still sounded fantastic, albeit slightly different.

Same logic applies now with Fortus and Ferrer. The band still sounds fantastic, albeit slightly different.

The one thing I do agree with you on is Ferrer not being as strong as Steven or Matt. I'm not saying he's horrible like you do, but I definitely notice more of a difference with him versus Steven/Matt than I do with Fortus versus Izzy/Gilby.

Obviously there are people that think they sound great. A lot of those people also thought NuGnR was great. There are definitely a good amount of people that don't though and that just shouldn't be the case.

I just watch the videos and it doesn't sound great to me.. Sometimes not even good which is a sin. They have their moments but overall it all feels forced, fast and sloppy. Ditch Ferrer and fix the god awful tempos and I feel a lot of that changes.

Aside from the vocals VR and Slash's band seem to play the Guns songs better than this lineup. I just hope they adjust and something changes.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

Ditch Ferrer and fix the god awful tempos and I feel a lot of that changes.

Aside from the vocals VR and Slash's band seem to play the Guns songs better than this lineup. I just hope they adjust and something changes.

I certainly see where you are coming from. And I do agree regarding how well Slash's band plays the Guns material. Todd Kerns, Brent Fitz, and, of course, Slash have it down cold.

One unrelated sidenote, when I saw Slash and the Conspirators at the Warfield in SF back in 2010, they created a CD of the show that you could purchase. Basically bootlegging their own show. I sure wish GN'R would do the same. It's easy $$ that's being left on the table when many of these shows are likely going to be pirated anyway. It's seems like such a win-win scenario because "we" get better quality and they get $$ instead of the bootleggers.

Edited by thunderram
  • Like 1

On May 1, 2016 at 7:13 AM, StrangerInThisTown said:

You're like the chick who got together with her boyfriend a week ago and is already planning the marriage. Slow down there

In that analogy, this would be like Slash leaving his girlfriend for another woman and you thinking that he should still fuck his ex. 

2 hours ago, thunderram said:

I certainly see where you are coming from. And I do agree regarding how well Slash's band plays the Guns material. Todd Kerns, Brent Fitz, and, of course, Slash have it down cold.

One unrelated sidenote, when I saw Slash and the Conspirators at the Warfield in SF back in 2010, they created a CD of the show that you could purchase. Basically bootlegging their own show. I sure wish GN'R would do the same. It's easy $$ that's being left on the table when many of these shows are likely going to be pirated anyway. It's seems like such a win-win scenario because "we" get better quality and they get $$ instead of the bootleggers.

Metallica, RHCP and Pearl Jam (and probably some others but I know for those) all have shows available for purchase a few days after the show in mp3 and flac. I saw somewhere that RHCP got 3m$ out of it and they only released it for one tour.  

• Like 1

On May 1, 2016 at 6:58 AM, Rubicon said:

I'm pretty sure slash once said that "Apocalyptic love" was recorded with the whole band and the vocals were recorded separately.

So why did they change that on Wof?

You are right on AL, on WOF they did basic tracks but Slash went back and did overdubs on guitar because he recorded all the guitars on WOF and on AL Myles played rhythm. 

On Wednesday, May 04, 2016 at 10:24 AM, Tom-Ass said:

Sounds more like Slash wanted to play with Thin Lizzy there. I doubt Fortus had anything to do with it.

Oh I agree on a whole in that particular incident he wanted to play with the whole group which included Fortus. Fortus declined to share the stage with him. Which from my understanding Slash wanted Fortus before he joined GnR. Though I can't find ugh to back that up. I do however believe his statement of Slash wanting Fortus. 

17 hours ago, BOSSY78 said:

Oh I agree on a whole in that particular incident he wanted to play with the whole group which included Fortus. Fortus declined to share the stage with him. Which from my understanding Slash wanted Fortus before he joined GnR. Though I can't find ugh to back that up. I do however believe his statement of Slash wanting Fortus. 

Right, but I am sure Slash was a Thin Lizzy fan and it didn't matter if Fortus was there or not.  I don't think you will ever find anything to back up Slash wanting him for his band. I believe it is a highly exaggerated story. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

Right, but I am sure Slash was a Thin Lizzy fan and it didn't matter if Fortus was there or not.  I don't think you will ever find anything to back up Slash wanting him for his band. I believe it is a highly exaggerated story. 

Exactly. I would be shocked if there's any truth to "Slash wanting to play with Fortus". Not that he wouldn't want to, but I can't see any reason why he'd need/want to. This seems to be one of those things where people just want to keep saying it until it becomes fact.

• Like 3

You would have to work out for what band and it couldn't have been any band after 2002 as Fortus was secure in Guns N' Roses? If it is true, and I certainly have my doubts, it must have been for Snakepit #2. He had Ryan Roxie for the album then Ryan left and he replaced him with Kerri Kelly.

Christ, I have an encyclopedic knowledge of Slash's cheese sidemen!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Exactly. I would be shocked if there's any truth to "Slash wanting to play with Fortus". Not that he wouldn't want to, but I can't see any reason why he'd need/want to. This seems to be one of those things where people just want to keep saying it until it becomes fact.

I'm not sure how that's so. Fortus said it himself. So now Fortus is a liar?

Someone said that Fortus lied because he was mad. He seemed to be laughing it off to me when he said it and using that same logic wouldn't that make everyone a liar when mad? I have never seen or heard of Fortus lying about anything so I tend to believe the words he spoke or typed rather. Going with that logic Slash never denied it either.  Again from what I gather and assue it was before Fortus was with GNR so my guess back when Slash was putting together a new band after Guns.

9 minutes ago, BOSSY78 said:

I'm not sure how that's so. Fortus said it himself. So now Fortus is a liar?

Someone said that Fortus lied because he was mad. He seemed to be laughing it off to me when he said it and using that same logic wouldn't that make everyone a liar when mad? I have never seen or heard of Fortus lying about anything so I tend to believe the words he spoke or typed rather. Going with that logic Slash never denied it either.  Again from what I gather and assue it was before Fortus was with GNR so my guess back when Slash was putting together a new band after Guns.

Fortus said Slash wanted to play with Thin Lizzy, not "Slash wants to play with me". That's too very different statements. 

18 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Fortus said Slash wanted to play with Thin Lizzy, not "Slash wants to play with me". That's too very different statements. 

I think your confusing 2 incidents. The incident we were originally referring to was Fortus made a comment on his facebook that Slash had wanted him in his band. Someone here brought it up to which another poster claimed Fortus was a liar. I used the Thin Lizzy thing to back up that atleast at one point he was willin to play with Fortus. Personally why would Fortus lie.

fortus.jpg

1 hour ago, BOSSY78 said:

I think your confusing 2 incidents. The incident we were originally referring to was Fortus made a comment on his facebook that Slash had wanted him in his band. Someone here brought it up to which another poster claimed Fortus was a liar. I used the Thin Lizzy thing to back up that atleast at one point he was willin to play with Fortus. Personally why would Fortus lie.

fortus.jpg

Just because Fortus said it doesn't prove anything.  Fortus was pissed and trying to defend himself. Given his actions during the Thin Lizzy incident and the public "people like Slash" comment he was obviously sour towards Slash.

But if one of Axl's yes men says it, it has to be true!

7 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

Just because Fortus said it doesn't prove anything.  Fortus was pissed and trying to defend himself. Given his actions during the Thin Lizzy incident and the public "people like Slash" comment he was obviously sour towards Slash.

But if one of Axl's yes men says it, it has to be true!

I don't know what difference it makes if Fortus was pissed and defending himself on whether or not he was lying about this. Do people automatically start lying when they get angry and defensive? I rarely ever get truly angry and making things up out of the blue isn't something I ever remember doing when angry. Then again, as I said, I rarely ever get truly angry so maybe I am dumb about this.

I don't know if he made this thing up out of the blue and lied about Slash offering him a gig. I would find it weird if he did as it is easily refutable, but, then again, people lie about stupider and even more obvious untrue things all the time.

16 hours ago, Free Bird said:

(What's so special on Fortus, anyway?)

I fail to see it. He seems like a talented guitarist but his style is also pretty generic. He doesn't appear to understand the dynamics in a two guitar band like Aerosmith, AC/DC or Guns N' Roses... His show boating is cringe worthy at times. I think his biggest asset is kissing Axl's ass for 15 years.

Edited by Tom-Ass