'Oldchella' Festival

Daedalus

Haven't seen posted it yet...

Roger Daltrey confirms megafestival with the Who, the Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan and Paul McCartney

The Who singer says his band will play the Coachella-produced event in October

It seems the baby boomers are going to be treated to the greatest celebration of their musical heroes ever seen in one spot. Last weekend, the organisers of the Coachella festival in California announced plans to put on a three-day mega-festival with just two acts per night: Bob Dylan and Paul McCartney on the first, the Rolling Stones and Neil Young on the second, and the Who and Roger Waters on the third.

Now the Who’s Roger Daltrey appears to have confirmed the story. “I think it’s us and Roger Waters on the same day,” he told the Canadian media company Postmedia Network. “It’s a fantastic idea for a festival. It’s the greatest remains of our era.”

Neil Young’s manager Elliot Roberts had spoken to the Los Angeles Times, sounding as if he was sure the show was going ahead: “You won’t get a chance to see a bill like this, perhaps ever again. It’s a show I look forward to more than any show in a long time,” Roberts said. But Daltrey is the first performer to have broken his silence about the event.

The show is believed to be taking place at the Empire Polo Club in Indio, California – the Coachella site – from 7-9 October. However, Daltrey sounded a note of caution about the possibility of tickets not reaching the artists’ hardcore fans – such a lineup would be popular with both touts and with corporate entertainment departments. “I hope a lot of normal fans can get tickets before they get snatched up,” he said.

According to the early reports, each of the acts will play a typical headline set, not a truncated festival show, with their full stage production. In fact, the production logistics should not be troublesome: of those six artists, only the Stones and Waters are famed for their lavish productions.

What might be more troublesome would be the cost of the tickets. These are all acts accustomed to good pay for their appearances, and the more money needs to be paid out, the more tickets will have to cost. When the Stones played four shows in November 2012 to mark their 50th anniversary, Keith Richards remarked that a sum of “£16m sounds about right to us” as payment to perform.

Given the level of financial comfort of the likely audience for these shows, however, it’s possible prices may not be a problem.

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2016/apr/21/roger-daltrey-confirms-megafestival-the-who-rolling-stones-bob-dylan-paul-mccartney-coachella

Edited by Daedalus
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Black Sabbath said:

It's the whole weekend if you get the Pit pass, but still. When you're only interested in Paul and the Stones, it's even more insane.

I'm interested in everyone except Neil Young and Bob Dylan (Seen him three times and that was more than enough), but still - I've seen the Stones plenty of times over the last few years and I've seen The Who a few times (Though not since 2008), I can check off Paul and Roger on my own time for far less money.

I don't think 400 for the 3 days is bad at all considering who you are seeing. I would have thought there would be a few other smaller acts too, though. This seems so far out in the middle of nowhere for a 3 day concert with only 2 acts per day.

I'd do this if I didn't have to travel for it, I've already seen everyone on the bill except Bob Dylan

£1000 and you can see Mick wiggle his 70 year old bum followed by Pete doing his windmills as 50% of The 'Oo. You can see 'the hits', 'Satisfaction', 'My Generation', 'Hey Jude' while eating a prawn sandwich and drinking Pimms, and lying to yourself that any of this is music who represents what music should be about. The only good thing that I can see happening at this is Neil playing some new material (''new songs - noooo''), as he is guaranteed to do, and consequentially annoying the unbelievably stupid people who would no doubt go and see this wrinkly museum piece: ''play Heart of Gold Neil'. Dylan does things like that also. Those are the only two I'd want to see. The rest can bugger off alongside AC/DC and Guns N' Roses and any other left over corpses who are selling their wares, plying their trade, like dockside prostitutes. 

4 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

I don't think 400 for the 3 days is bad at all considering who you are seeing. I would have thought there would be a few other smaller acts too, though. This seems so far out in the middle of nowhere for a 3 day concert with only 2 acts per day.

I'd do this if I didn't have to travel for it, I've already seen everyone on the bill except Bob Dylan

Don't ever see Bob Dylan, he's awful. 

1600 / 6 = $266 (230 euro) per individual show for guaranteed standing in the front of the stage or having really good seats. 

I'd probably go if I lived there too. It's still expensive, but it sounds awesome.