Ex singer playing songs I had a MAJOR hand in writing

So an ex band member of mine, yes the singer of course, is basically stealing our collaborations and claiming them as HER songs. She has a new band and low and behold I have been seeing her new band play some of my songs. I mean this is pretty shitty. They don't play them half as good, lol, but that's besides the point.

Has this ever happened to any of you? I know there isn't much I can do unless she starts making money off of them, but it's the principal. 

12 minutes ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

So an ex band member of mine, yes the singer of course, is basically stealing our collaborations and claiming them as HER songs. She has a new band and low and behold I have been seeing her new band play some of my songs. I mean this is pretty shitty. They don't play them half as good, lol, but that's besides the point.

Has this ever happened to any of you? I know there isn't much I can do unless she starts making money off of them, but it's the principal. 

Even if she doesn't make money from em, if she commits to some kind of print that she's the author you can do something.  And it'd be more honest of you to do so.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, moreblack said:

Can we hear these songs?

Yeah - just go see his ex-singer's band! :lol:

I don't think you can stop her playing them, but if you want to, you could try to collect performance fees out of the deal. Have you registered your copyright/gotten in with the RIAA or ASCAP or someone like that?

16 hours ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

How does it work in the US with copyright? In the UK you only need to prove that you have created something to automatically have the copyright, so a recording of an original song will mean that you have the copyright to it. You don't need to register anything, the recording enough. Did you write the lyrics/melody/music? You said it was a collaboration, what part of the music would you say is yours? If your old band mate put down vocal melodies and lyrics, she would probably be free to what she wanted with that, but maybe not specific guitar parts. It might be trickier with basic chord patterns, but I guess it is down to the law in the US. 

Either way, it is a shitty thing to do; anyone taking credit for someone else's work is a fucking charlatan and should have word with themselves. Music is also a very personal thing and creating it is hard work, you should find your old band mate and ask for an explanation.

Well I talked to my ex drummer about it yesterday, he was also unhappy that she was doing this. We never got to the point where we made any big money off of anything, so I'm not to the point of going to court or anything over it. But if she ever decided to try and make money off of it, then I would persue that.

The song in question is kind of a different situation, because it's a simple 12 bar blues number. So technically speaking, I guess I didn't actually come up with the music either, because who wrote the blues? But in my defense I can 100% say with certainty that song would NOT exist without me. I played that same blues progression in bands before I even met her, and it was something that I did bring to the band. Yes she did put lyrics over top of it, but again, it would not exist if I hadnt played that music first. 

It just pisses me off because she is going around claiming she wrote this amazing blues song, like she came up with it all on her own, which couldn't be further from the truth.

But after talking to my ex drummer about it, I will discuss it with her eventually. I'm going to wait a bit until after I've settled down. Being that it's a 12 bar blues song kinda puts it in a grey area. But we wrote other songs as well that I did wrote 100% of the music to, and if I catch wind that she is playing those, than no more mister nice guy. But in all honesty I don't think her new band can pull of those songs anyways, they are not skilled enough at the guitar. My ex drummer even said "it doesn't sound very good, it lacks all emotion." But he also said "it's not right that she is doing that, you put a lot into those songs." 

I'll post a link to the song in question, but this is versions of our band playing it. I'm not posting links to get new band playing it, I'm not gonna help her get views, lol.

Here is the first recording of it, a little rough demo.

Here is a better audio version of it, but her vocals are a little rough. But you can here my guitar better ?

Listen to Without You Live (Foxy and the Hounds original) by MikeyJ #np on #SoundCloud
https://soundcloud.com/mikeyj-6/without-you-live-foxy-and-the-hounds-original

Edited by Iron MikeyJ

• 2 weeks later...