Axl - Thunderstruck Full Rehearsal

joaompc

I can't wait for this. I'd imagine most refunded tickets would be picked up by Guns fans, such a rare opportunity and never would have predicted it. 

Recordings sound great so far, and promising. Hearing Axl belt out songs other than GNR is going to be fantastic.

I'm hoping that he isn't in the chair though, do we know when that boot comes off in relation to ACDC gigs? The 'couple weeks' mentioned in the TMZ video, will that tie into a ACDCs first gig and him being mobile?

I wonder if he'll behave like he does in GNR gigs, running off for Oxygen top ups, costume changes etc. How will he engage with crowd? Never seen Axl in this light, so will be fun to see. We know he is super respectful to bands/musicians he admires, so I think this is going to Axl in his best form he can deliver - both vocally and professionally. Also, for someone who is notoriously famous for not rehearsing, its cool hearing evidence of him smashing out songs in rehearsal. 

Always enjoyed hearing him do other songs outside GNR ones, and this is going to be that on fucking steroids. Brilliant. Can't happen soon enough.

7 hours ago, highvoltage said:

It's bittersweet. On one hand, I am in complete an utter ecstasy (possibly even more exciting than the GN'R reunion is, I have to admit) - something you just wouldn't have ever expected could happen is now happening.

I'd pictured what it might sound like before, but never in my wildest dreams did I think Angus Young would team up with a guy like Axl. He doesn't even do guest appearances. I don't think most people here realise what a big deal Angus coming out at Coachella was - he just doesn't do that for other bands. Save for a guest appearance with the Rolling Stones in 2003... seeing Angus play alongside another singer literally never happens. 

On the other hand, I am a HUGE Brian Johnson fan, and I don't want this to signal into a cringeworthy INXS-type scenario where Angus takes the band on the road with a new singer every few years. I feel enormous guilt at loving the idea so much; it feels kind of selfish of me in some way. Sorry, it's hard to articulate.

Yeah, to be honest I'm not sure why everyone thinks this will be a Bon-heavy setlist, besides Axl obviously being a big fan.

Brian's material is almost exclusively sung in falsetto; it almost suits Axl's current voice better than GN'R stuff does since it's all up so high. He can belt those high notes out with full rasp for days. It's glorious.

Besides the Stones thing, I think the only other time Angus has been onstage with another band was many years ago with Cheap Trick. 

ucMcCsCl.jpg

cwufdGel.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bigpoop said:

Besides the Stones thing, I think the only other time Angus has been onstage with another band was many years ago with Cheap Trick. 

ucMcCsCl.jpg

cwufdGel.jpg

Ah yes. Forgot that!

Didn't Bon come out (wasted) for that too? I used to have a clip of Johnny B Goode from that gig.

28 minutes ago, highvoltage said:

Ah yes. Forgot that!

Didn't Bon come out (wasted) for that too? I used to have a clip of Johnny B Goode from that gig.

I think that was a different show on the same tour. There are also some pictures of Rick Nielsen jamming with AC/DC on the set of a TV a show from around that same time.

I guess the thing that had them all freaked out at acdcfans was that Angus did  the Guns appearance in uniform.  He had always been in street clothes those few other times he jammed with bands.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GNRfanMILO said:

I have successfuly infiltrated the ACDC fans forum. I will post some comments later, they dont want to admit Axl is sounding better than Brian in the last 10 years... They're all really amazed about his vocals! 

LOL they sound like us when complaining about nuGN'R :P

17 hours ago, GNRfanMILO said:

I have successfuly infiltrated the ACDC fans forum. I will post some comments later, they dont want to admit Axl is sounding better than Brian in the last 10 years... They're all really amazed about his vocals! 

I'm constantly banned from there, I did several accounts cause I just want to read comment now but nah. Most I've heard are still butthurt about brian.

I have only posted once b/f but HOLY ROCKIN-ROLLA!!!!!!!!   This Audio footage sounds OFF THE CHARTS!!!!  God Bless to those of you getting your hands on these audio clips.    I am FIRED UP for some GNFNR this summer but HOT DAMN, bring on the AXL/DC in 2016!!!  Get that train-a-rollin.  

YEAR OF THE AXL! 

• Like 1

He sounds absolutely fucking ridiculous. Incredible. 

And I don't mean to be a negative nancy because i've got tickets and i'm psyched to see him comeback like this but it really is so fucked up that he's putting more into rehearsals for ANOTHER band than he has into his own at times. I mean really, that piece of absolute shit Vegas DVD?

And just the fact that his masterpiece big guns that he worked on for years i.e. Twat and Prostitute are almost never played because he can't be arsed to learn how to sing them and hence there'll never be any great live versions of them and meanwhile he's putting 100% into replicating what one of the great rock singers did nearly FORTY years ago?!!

Oh well, it's Axl. 

On 5/4/2016 at 3:50 AM, Estranged Reality said:

The man sounds absolutely on fire. This is incredible.

I'm actually not surprised, because it seems like a lot of those AC/DC songs can be sung in the higher register where he's able to do the rasp. That's why he always sounds so killer on Nightrain, My Michelle, etc. -- songs where he's able to pretty much shriek the whole time but there isn't as much variation in low, mid and high register (which is why he struggles with Rocket Queen, Jungle verses, etc.).  I don't have the most technical understanding of singing, but it just seems to me like it isn't coincidence that on all the GN'R songs where he's shrieking a lot, he tends to sound better these days.

He's also not running around here. I mean, if you listen to Donnington or Dublin where's he's stood still all pissy and he sounds like he could sing Stuck Inside if he wanted. 

You know what's also cool? No more ten page voice threads with shitloads of clueless idiots with theories and adamant statements pulled out their asses about how and why Axl's voice is 'gone.' I've been trying to show people for years, with masses of examples, that how he sings is a CHOICE on his part. Finally, this fucking proves it. 

12 hours ago, Jordan Rose said:

He's also not running around here. I mean, if you listen to Donnington or Dublin where's he's stood still all pissy and he sounds like he could sing Stuck Inside if he wanted. 

You know what's also cool? No more ten page voice threads with shitloads of clueless idiots with theories and adamant statements pulled out their asses about how and why Axl's voice is 'gone.' I've been trying to show people for years, with masses of examples, that how he sings is a CHOICE on his part. Finally, this fucking proves it. 

Gonna have to (partially) disagree with you there. There are lots of theories without any solid factual base, yes, but it's hard to put it all down to choice. 

It's very easy to put a finger on where his voice deteriorated. There is a sudden and absolutely drastic drop in it between 2010, where he sounded like a chainsaw, and 2011. Between 2011 and 2016 there were highs and lows, and he really recovered from RIR to an extent, but never really reached the previous levels, not even on his best nights when he was absolutely on fire.

I don't think it is logical that he would drop his trademark singing style on songs where it has always been a staple, unless that voice had somewhat severe consequences to him. I think he sounds pretty good in 2016, but his rasp is thinner, higher pitched, and he just can't bring on some of the songs.

In other words, yeah, it's partially a choice, but I doubt he is physically able to repeat 2006 or 2010, or at the very least, I doubt he is able to do that without bringing severe consequences on his ability to perform in the future. If he could that, there is absolutely no reason to explain why he ins't doing it.

It would be great to hear Axl about his voice, or perhaps read about in a book someday. Would love to see 2001/2002 and 2011-2014 explained, but that's a longshot considering how much Axl keeps to himself.  

13 hours ago, Jordan Rose said:

If it was his choice, and he could pull awesome vocals out whenever he wanted, I'm pretty sure he would have pulled them out at the MTV Music Awards in 2002 and Rock in Rio 5 in 2011 (just the two most obvious answers). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Colossus of Rhodes said:

lol ;-) MyGnR Espionage Bureau is digging in...

Where is our undercover man? Has he gone deep under cover? Have they abducted him and brainwashed him? He's been missing for two whole days.

so wild to hear axl in another well known iconic rock band.  he sounds fucking amazing...I thought the jimmy page w/the black crowes tour was really cool back in the 90's...well for me, this on that same level or above...wow! I'm blown away so far.  Hope he sounds this good for the rest of the summer.  And i hope other members of gnr guest spot at some of these ac/dc shows.  get your periscopes up!

5 minutes ago, HOOSIER GUNZ said:

so wild to hear axl in another well known iconic rock band.  he sounds fucking amazing...I thought the jimmy page w/the black crowes tour was really cool back in the 90's...well for me, this on that same level or above...wow! I'm blown away so far.  Hope he sounds this good for the rest of the summer.  And i hope other members of gnr guest spot at some of these ac/dc shows.  get your periscopes up!

The GN'R guys won't guest, I can guarantee you that. They don't do guest, period. Even touring fill-ins never really happens, before this Stevie in 1988 was the only exception. That's just not how AC/DC works. 

13 hours ago, Axl owns dexter said:

If it was his choice, and he could pull awesome vocals out whenever he wanted, I'm pretty sure he would have pulled them out at the MTV Music Awards in 2002 and Rock in Rio 5 in 2011 (just the two most obvious answers). 

In no way did I even slightly imply that that's what I meant.

I didn't think I had to say that the choice I meant was not in the exact moment he sings. OBVIOUSLY the choice is in how he approaches an entire tour or run of shows, especially given how consistent he always is through an entire tour. He chose to sing clean in 2001-2002. There was a backlash and in 2006-2007 he came out very well prepared to use rasp. Same in 2009-2010. Then in 2011-2014 he clearly wasn't arsed to put the effort in. In 2016 for Guns he's clearly been massively inspired for all the obvious reasons and came prepared to blow 2011-2014 out of the water. Then he's gone into 20 rehearsals for AC/DC seemingly as motivated and determined to impress as at any time in his life and we've heard the results.

Moreover the way he chooses to sing also always relates to his overall demeanor and level of performance. When he brought the attitude, rasp, fitness, rock clothes and old-skool performance style back in 2006 the voice came back with it. He was clearly super motivated. This continued right through 2010. Then in 2011-2014 when he was constantly hiding behind jackets, glasses, hats and chains he was also phoning in the vocals and stage performance. In 2016 he takes the glasses and hat off and is massively emoting to the audience and Slash in a way he hadn't since 2010. 

And you can go even further and look at what was going on in his life and with the band at the time and see pretty clearly why he was super motivated and had something to prove going into some tours and not others. 

It's so obvious. I can't understand why every time there's a voice thread I have to go over and over this stuff.

As for MTV 2002 that's definitely an anomaly because he was so incredibly weak and thin compared to every single previous show from Japan to London just days prior. But you're wrong to suggest he can't pull out better vocals during an otherwise unspectacular tour as his recent returns to Dublin and Philly proved. He gave so much more at those shows be way of making amends.

But it is very strange how he's been either much weaker than average or just terrible at almost every televised/streamed show with the exception of Rock Am Ring. Even the televised stuff from Reading 2010 was really weak compared to literally every other show that year. 

13 hours ago, Pedrolg said:

Gonna have to (partially) disagree with you there. There are lots of theories without any solid factual base, yes, but it's hard to put it all down to choice. 

I disagree strongly, as i've outlined above. I've gone into way more detail multiple times previously. 

It's very easy to put a finger on where his voice deteriorated.  There is a sudden and absolutely drastic drop in it between 2010, where he sounded like a chainsaw, and 2011.

You've just said there are lots of theories with no factual base then offered exactly that. There is absolutely nothing anywhere to suggest his voice deteriorated and loads of reasons to think he literally just did not prepare, rehearse, train his voice, hit the gym and, quite possibly, hadn't even sung from the last 2010 show until he did his warm ups before Rio. Are we not having this discussion in the Thunderstruck thread? If the difference between 2010 and Rio was deterioration then this thread wouldn't exist! Have you listened to him on Thunderstruck and Back In Black?!

Between 2011 and 2016 there were highs and lows, and he really recovered from RIR to an extent, but never really reached the previous levels, not even on his best nights when he was absolutely on fire.

It wasn't a recovery, he just took about ten shows to get his voice in touring shape! You know, like he's just done during 20 rehearsals with AC/DC! Like he clearly did before the 2006 and 2009 tours. And even then, he was way stronger with a decent run of shows under his belt. 

I don't think it is logical that he would drop his trademark singing style on songs where it has always been a staple, unless that voice had somewhat severe consequences to him. 

But why do you think that? Because there is no reason to think that. He dropped his 'trademark singing style' from 2001-2002 because he "wanted to try a different way of singing." Not because it was damaged or he smoked too much or he had vocal polyps or some imaginary surgery that someone made up in their head. Considering how much of Chinese was sung in a clean voice it makes a lot of sense that he would think "Hmm, maybe i'll try singing like this live." It's perfectly logical. It's also easier for him and much healthier. 

But what's also logical and clear is that after the fanbase shat all over his clean singing in 2002 that he decided on the next tour to give people what they wanted, the 'trademark singing style.' 

I think he sounds pretty good in 2016, but his rasp is thinner, higher pitched, and he just can't bring on some of the songs.

He's only played five shows! Go compare the Hammerstein shows to the 2007 shows. Go compare the Canadian 2010 shows to Europe. He gets so much stronger. So I would say "Wait and see before you assume Mexico 2016 is as good as he can do now because HE'S JUST REHEARSED 20 FULL SHOWS WITH AC/DC AND HE SOUNDS LIKE A FUCKING CHAINSAW AGAIN!!!

FUCK. 

In other words, yeah, it's partially a choice, but I doubt he is physically able to repeat 2006 or 2010, or at the very least, I doubt he is able to do that without bringing severe consequences on his ability to perform in the future.

How could you possibly know that? In 2002 nobody could have imagined what he would do in 2006, nevermind 2010. He has set multiple precedents that by putting in the work to prepare that he can pretty much do whatever he wants. I didn't think he'd be able to do those insane 2002-style LALD falsetto screams again after belting the rasp so much. But here he is 14 years later giving LALD Pittsburg 2002 a run for its money.

People have been saying for years that his voice is damaged, that it's blown out, that he must have had surgeries etc etc and then every time he comes back at some point super strong.

If he could do that, there is absolutely no reason to explain why he ins't doing it.

Except there are loads of fucking reasons like the ones i've already touched upon.

See, you imply that all i've got is a bunch of theories with no solid base when I provide shitloads of examples (and in the past i've gone into WAY more detail). 

It would be great to hear Axl about his voice, or perhaps read about in a book someday. Would love to see 2001/2002 and 2011-2014 explained, but that's a longshot considering how much Axl keeps to himself.  

When he has talked about it it's very odd because he doesn't seem to think about his voice in the same way we do. The comments he made on stage about why he doesn't sing the SoD outro with his 'excellent raspy voice' and why he sang Madagascar how he did were kinda weird.

He explained 2001-2002.

As for 2011-2014: he wasn't motivated. 

In 2006-2007 the album was close to release, he had Merck on side, he still had all but one of the Chinese band and he was clearly super motivated and out to prove something. Hnce, he performed, dressed and sang like a motherfucker.

In 2009-2010, despite having the worst year of his life over the label, Azoff and the botched Chinese release, the album was finally out there and he was motivated to sing the absolute fuck out of those new songs, because that was the only way people were gonna hear them. And with Azoff making it impossible for him to tour Chinese in North America at the time, it was in his best interest to put on the best shows he could in Canada, South America, Europe and Australia to show the record company and American promoters that he absolutely meant business about his new band and Chinese Democracy and nobody was getting their fucking reunion.

Watch the videos. He's out there in nothing but a t-shirt and bandana, or sometimes no bandana, performing like he's channeling his 1992 self, giving it his all. His motivation is clear to see.

So why from 2011 to 2014 was he comparatively unmotivated, disinterested, phoning in clean vocals, hiding behind jackets, glasses, hats and chains for entire shows, barely working the stage, not communicating or making eye contact with the audience etc etc etc?

Maybe because the label turned down Chinese 2 in 2010. Maybe because he realised there was no way the label were going to release another album unless Axl allowed Slash to return. Maybe because, after playing with Duff, he realised how much he missed the old band. Maybe because he was still touring Chinese except without the Chinese lineup. Maybe because he was uninspired by the material Ron and DJ were sending him and couldn't see a way forward to release music whilst keeping the band happy and the lineup stable. Maybe because he didn't enjoy playing with the touring lineup as much as the Chinese lineup, let alone the Ullusions or Appetite ones. Maybe because he finally accepted that Bucket and Robin were never coming back. Maybe because Tommy chose The Mats over Guns, Ron was a malcontent and DJ just sucked.