7,000 Belgian AC/DC Fans Request Ticket Refunds On Concert With AXL ROSE

slitherz

From Blabbermouth.net

According to De Standaard, approximately 7,000 AC/DC fans who bought tickets to see the band perform on May 16 at Werchter Festivalpark in Werchter, Belgium have requested to get their money back because they don't want to watch Axl Rose on lead vocals. Live Nation, which is producing the show, said that the disappointed fans had until Monday night to claim a refund.

The show is one of twelve European dates AC/DC will perform with the GUNS N' ROSES frontman on lead vocals after Brian Johnson was ordered to stop touring or risk going deaf.

A similar refund offer has been made available on some of the other dates on AC/DC's European tour, which kicks off on May 7 in Lisbon, Portugal and runs through June 12 in Aarhus, Denmark.

Following that, Rose will head out on his previously announced summer reunion tour with GUNS N' ROSES. AC/DC's ten postponed U.S. dates will take place later in the year, also with Rose as frontman, and the refund policy on those shows has not been revealed.

According to Billboard, Rose met with the members of AC/DC twice in March, in Miami and Atlanta, about doing the shows. Singers from AC/DC tribute acts were also auditioned, and at one point there was talk of having other vocalists alternate with Rose, including ex-SKID ROW frontman Sebastian Bach and Nic Cester of the Australian band JET.

Fan reaction to Rose replacing Johnson — even temporarily — has been largely negative. The fan site AC/DC Italia announced it was shutting down in protest, while AC/DC biographer Jesse Fink called it "the worst decision AC/DC has ever made. Fans are pretty disgusted... AC/DC is all about the money now."

AC/DC guitarist Angus Young made a guest appearance with GUNS N' ROSES at the Coachella festival in California last month, to tie in with the official confirmation of Rose's involvement.

Read more at http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/7000-belgian-acdc-fans-request-ticket-refunds-on-concert-with-axl-rose/#siVlpMUGgiazI9f7.99

Edited by slitherz

I bought my ticket yesterday by one not happy fan.

Those "fans" were just fine seeing ACDC without Malcolm and Phil Rudd, just as not paying respect to angus. Very cheap people. This is probably the end and their goin' to miss it good for them.

Edited by Silent Jay

I get it. I mean, if it's a band you're really attached to, and you are a fan of a certain lineup, and you spent a lot of money on your ticket, perhaps you don't want to see anyone else. Especially when it comes to lead singers.

I do think that as Axl gets more AC/DC shows under his belt and videos start surfacing, this will happen less and less. When he shows how well he can handle the material, more AC/DC fans might be willing to give him a chance.

If Axl went down in 93 and couldn't finish the tour id pay to see Robert Plant come in for him. I'm not even looking for voices to match or anything but just getting to see a legendary frontman in place of another one in an iconic band is worth being there for. 

Theres only a few of these great frontman in the history of music and Axl is one of them. If you want to miss that then your going to miss a special moment in music. He's not going to be around forever, and I expect his performance to be on par with his many great performances in his career

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, The Archer said:

The guy from Jet? Really? Where are they pulling this information from?

I don't know but he sounds great. I can see them considering him as a possibility at one point. 

Edited by Nicklord

21 minutes ago, Nicklord said:

I don't know but he sounds great. I can see them considering him as a possibility at one point. 

I've never heard this. It doesn't sound bad at all, but I don't know if he'd be able to sustain it over an entire set, or a whole tour.

9 hours ago, IncitingChaos said:

Not bad, 7,000 tickets refunded isn't as bad as I thought. I think the band and Axl will be just fine

Yeah, I thought it was going to be more, seeing all the Axl-hate. 7,000 is quite alright.

8 hours ago, James Bond said:

I wonder how many tickets were sold overall for that gig. Say it was 50 000, then 7000 isn't that much on the grand scheme considering most of those will just be scooped up by Guns fans.

I always thought it was 60,000.

8 hours ago, BatVin said:

I'm not sure how reliable is the source, but if it really was true, I'd be just sorry for those lunatics to miss this amazing thing.

It's a reliable source, reputable newspaper, so I think the numbers are correct. 7,000 were returned, of which 1,000 were immediately bought by people who were on the waiting list for this sold out show.

It woud be even more interesting how much people boughth tickets from the day it was clear that axl will front them....

I can only speak for vienna where a lot of people are complaining about this line up but there are also a  lot of people who will go there because of axl - so in the end it will more ore less be the same amount of people who will go to the conerts I guess

If I was exclusively an AC/DC fan, i.e. not a particular admirer of Guns N' Roses, I would have done the exact same thing. Understand three things here,

A/ Imagine if Axl was replaced with somebody like Sebastian Bach for a Guns tour you had tickets for. You would not be very happy, would you?

B/ Outside Guns N' Roses fandom, and GN'R fora, W. Axl Rose is basically as popular as AIDS crossed with cancer. Imagine if A happened but with the added drama of it being a deeply unpopular (outside the fanbase) singer. You wake up and your favourite band is fronted by Gary Glitter or Gene Simmons!!

C/ AC/DC have dispensed with Brian, obviously a very popular person among DC fans, with all the grace as how one would dispense with a used tampon. The official announcement was cold in its formality. It was like how one would communicate with a bank manager.

Now throw those three points together and it is thoroughly understandable why they are returning these tickets.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Kula2006 said:

It woud be even more interesting how much people boughth tickets from the day it was clear that axl will front them....

It was sold out long before the news broke of Brian's hearing loss. Doubtful it will sell out now but I can still see a couple thousand tickets being sold again.

Maybe it could still sell out if there's enough hype and approval from the upcoming gig this weekend.

Edited by Bumblefeet

I'm going to this gig and I'm buzzing. GNR and ACDC have always been my 2 favourite bands. Yes it sucks Brian isn't there but this is a pretty awesome situation to have Axl filling in for him. I can understand the hardcore ACDC fans attitude but the band had gigs booked. May as well finish them with Axl and then call it a day after that.

I only hope that the bad feelings of some of the ACDC fans doesn't affect the gig and target Axl. I mean he can't just refuse to play if some people start throwing things like he does with GNR. Gonna be interesting to see how he handles it as I'm sure it will happen at some stage during the ACDC tour.

29 minutes ago, blackrose87 said:

I'm going to this gig and I'm buzzing. GNR and ACDC have always been my 2 favourite bands. Yes it sucks Brian isn't there but this is a pretty awesome situation to have Axl filling in for him. I can understand the hardcore ACDC fans attitude but the band had gigs booked. May as well finish them with Axl and then call it a day after that.

I only hope that the bad feelings of some of the ACDC fans doesn't affect the gig and target Axl. I mean he can't just refuse to play if some people start throwing things like he does with GNR. Gonna be interesting to see how he handles it as I'm sure it will happen at some stage during the ACDC tour.

Doesn't Angus take no bullshit from idiots who throw things though? 

I think if the crowd try to hurt axl by throwing things or whatever then Angus needs to be the one to tell them. 

I hope axl stays calm. 

1 minute ago, Chilliconcarne said:

Doesn't Angus take no bullshit from idiots who throw things though? 

I think if the crowd try to hurt axl by throwing things or whatever then Angus needs to be the one to tell them. 

I hope axl stays calm. 

From what I see there never seems to be much trouble at ACDC gigs. But yeah I think Angus needs to be the one to call the shots if trouble arises. 

It is Angus they should be targeting for this,

AC/DC band members would like to thank Brian Johnson for his contributions and dedication to the band throughout the years. We wish him all the best with his hearing issues and future ventures. As much as we want this tour to end as it started, we understand, respect and support Brian's decision to stop touring and save his hearing. We are dedicated to fulfilling the remainder of our touring commitments to everyone that has supported us over the years, and are fortunate that Axl Rose has kindly offered his support to help us fulfill this commitment. AC/DC will resume their Rock Or Bust World Tour with Axl Rose joining on vocals.....

Thirty-five years service and this is what, one would receive if he/she had just cancelled a subscription to a website or magazine!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

If I was exclusively an AC/DC fan, i.e. not a particular admirer of Guns N' Roses, I would have done the exact same thing. Understand three things here,

A/ Imagine if Axl was replaced with somebody like Sebastian Bach for a Guns tour you had tickets for. You would not be very happy, would you?

B/ Outside Guns N' Roses fandom, and GN'R fora, W. Axl Rose is basically as popular as AIDS crossed with cancer. Imagine if A happened but with the added drama of it being a deeply unpopular (outside the fanbase) singer. You wake up and your favourite band is fronted by Gary Glitter or Gene Simmons!!

C/ AC/DC have dispensed with Brian, obviously a very popular person among DC fans, with all the grace as how one would dispense with a used tampon. The official announcement was cold in its formality. It was like how one would communicate with a bank manager.

Now throw those three points together and it is thoroughly understandable why they are returning these tickets.

I imagined option B with Chad Kroeger (Nickelback) as the replacement. That's something nightmares are made of. But yes I agree. The mainstream stigma that follows Axl after all these years is where he hate draws from. That and the fact ACDC is a long running power act with a fanbase that's diehard. Circumstances aren't good surrounding stuff that went down but might as well make the most of a bad situation and enjoy the ride. It's only happens once. I personally believe GNR fans will be pleased and the open minded and casual ACDC fans will be as well. But you'll always have the stubborn bunch who no matter what will always hate Axl whether it's for: Him being him, not liking his singing or being the "replacement". 

• Like 1